15 month old not talking, not 1 word

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

15 month old not talking, not 1 word

Postby HappyGoLucky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:45 am

She's really bright and follows any direction (when she wants to) but she is saying no words.
She was saying 'bubble bubble' when I'd let her watch bubble guppies but she stopped doing that even.
She signs when she's hungry and waves and blows kisses bye bye but no words.
She says momma and dadda but I don't think she's directing it to us.
Babbles all day long, points and grunts, grabs us by the hand and leads us to what she wants but no words.
(Her hearing is fine)
I've tried to make her say 'up' to get out of her crib or playpen (because I know she physically can say that word) but a few minutes later she melts down and I just pick her up.
Her dr isn't concerned and said his daughter didn't start using words until she was 2 and give her more time it I'm starting to worry.
Have any of yall delt with this?

Btw she was walking unassisted right at 9 months, climbing furniture by 10 months. Always super early on motor skill milestones.
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: 15 month old not talking, not 1 word

Postby coastieschick » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:23 am

DS just turned 2 and since he's an only child (for now) and stays home with me he isn't around many other kids. Anyways I asked his pediatrician and he said its more communication then words, so if they sign something that counts as a word, if they sign and say it its 2 words. BUT DS is just now starting to really talk more and try to copy more words & actually use them. He's had so many things like your "bubbles" he'd say something for a while then just stop and not say it anymore!? I just started trying to really listen to what he was trying to say and if I think he means a certain word I repeat it like 5-6 times trying to build his vocabulary a little. BUT like your dr said I wouldn't worry yet if she understands what you're saying and tries to communicate with you in her own way then give her a little more time.
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ete29 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I really think that some kids focus on other things instead of talking. DS was just like your DD, walking at 9 months. He didn't use words until two, but then jumped right in with sentences. My DD didn't walk until 18 mos, but had a large vocab early on. No worries ;)
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HappyGoLucky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for answering ladies.
My DS didn't walk until 16 months but had about 20 words in his vocabulary at 11 months.
Everyone says it and it is just true that all kids are different.
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kc12345 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:53 pm

I have a friend who's daughter literally didn't say a word at 2 years and then just one day started talking and she is totally fine. I'm sorry, worrying is the worst.
kc12345
Angel
Angel

Postby Momagain2010 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Your worrying is normal and most likely so is her development. I compared baby 2 to baby 1's developmental timeline which was a no-no in that baby 1 spent all his time with 3 adults and had 30 or so words at 1. I even signed my second up for language assessment because he only had 4 words and used them rarely. I found out that 2 was perfectly normal and his development has remained fine. Give yourself peace of mind by saying something to a professional.
Image[/url]
Momagain2010
Star Member
Star Member

Postby LondonRoseIreland » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm

My nephew just turned 2 yrs old and only now just began talking. It was almost like overnight. Don't worry. It will happen :)

Twins (London Ivy & Rosemarie Esther) born April 14th, 2010
Ireland Lilly born October, 17th, 2011
LondonRoseIreland
Friend

Postby HappyGoLucky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:55 am

I wanted to update this, just in case another momma comes across it with the same problem.
My princess was still saying no words at 18 months then between 18 and 19 months she popped off with 26 words, 26! Now at 20 months only a dozen are recognizable by non family members but we're still thrilled with her leaps and bounds. It really did happen over night. She copies most things we say now but about 30ish words are true words, she says them first and at appropriate times. :)
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 pm

DS started overnight too. He was saying words here and there, maybe 30 words or so around 20 - 22 months, and a few signs. Suddenly a few weeks after he turned 2, he started talking in complete short sentences. Now at 2 1/2 exactly, he talks almost like an adult! It's crazy how fast he developed his language!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)