1 of 3 toddlers with a behavioral disorder?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

1 of 3 toddlers with a behavioral disorder?

Postby LondonRoseIreland » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:09 pm

I have 2 yr old twin girls and a 1 yr old girl. My youngest Ireland is the easiest baby ever. Been sleeping through the night since 3 WEEKS old, always smiling, hardly ever cries, very bright, etc. My eldest twin London is your typical toddler. She's a good girl too. Has her tantrums but usually only lasts 1-2 minutes and then it's over and even that's rare to occur. London listens farily well. The other twins Rose is a handful. I'm worried she has a behavioral disorder. She hits, pushes, fights and when she has tantrums it can literally last an entire 1/2 hour! She has no patience and start crying and screaming without telling us what she wants. If we don't get her juice immediately she throws a tantrum. If she wants gloves on she'll start screaming immediately before we can even get them out for her. My mom watches them when I'm at work and she's a mother of 4 and said she's never seen a child act the way Rose does. We were just at the Zoo for Holiday Lights with a family friend who works with kids that have behavioral disorders and she told me Rose has all the signs of a behavioral disorder. I'm scared and not sure what to do. I feel like I'm failing as a mother and not disciplining her correctly. What really upsets me is that I'm taking all this time dealing with Rose's bad behavior that it's taking attention away from the other two kids. I'm at a loss. Do I take her in to get evaluated? Do I use a different method of disciplining her? Anyone else have this problem? Oh and I should mention that the twins have been saying words since 10 months old and talking well since 18 months. They are all bright children and the twins can hold conversations with people so it's not a matter of them not being able to tell us what they want cause they can.

Twins (London Ivy & Rosemarie Esther) born April 14th, 2010
Ireland Lilly born October, 17th, 2011
LondonRoseIreland
Friend

Re: 1 of 3 toddlers with a behavioral disorder?

Postby HappyGoLucky » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:00 am

I have no advice to give.

My little girl is quick to anger (like my DH) and although sometimes it is really hard I try to be slow to anger back with her, just to teach her there are better ways to communicate.

If you feel something could be wrong, in your heart, it's best that you're taking her to be seen.

Honestly tho I wonder if it's not just terrible 2s kicking in early?

GL!
HappyGoLucky
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: 1 of 3 toddlers with a behavioral disorder?

Postby stobie1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:27 pm

my dd is seeing a therapist for "theraplay" once a week she resorts to hitting before using her "words" as we say at the daycare I work also the one she goes too do not feel like you are a bad parent or she needs more spankings or punishments for her behavior I find helping to tell dd calm down I don't understand what you want unless you use your words I let her know its ok to be upset or have emotions I just try to help her learn how to control her outburst and let her know sometimes she has to wait for things like juice it's ok not the end of the world kinda thing lol but it don't hurt to get your child evaluated even if its just terrible twos you can at least get advice on how to handle things! My dd hasn't Ben diagnosed with anything yet and has been going for about 3months tho we missed a few apts the dr said maybe she might have some slight sensory integration but that's no big deal! She's a happy heathy child! Also like yours developed everything early very smart crawled at 7 moths sat unassisted at 5 months walked at 8months also the dr said since that happened we expected her to act older than she was emotionally and it caused her to be kinda like thrown off? Dr said she's 2yrs 10 months but intellectually she's at a 4 or 5 yr old level but emotionally she's still 2yr10 months old we have to treat her emotionally different just because she's advanced intellectually doesn't mean she needs her motions treated the same she's still a baby! Lol hope this helps I know it's all jumbled up lol
Me: Stormie 29
Dh: Branden 29
DD: Naomi 5 yrs old
TTC #2 for 8 months before BFP EDD MARCH 9th!

C-section scheduled for March 4th!!

stobie1
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)