Potty training

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Potty training

Postby CamsMommy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Hello ladies. Ds is a year and a half and has taken to potty training like a pro. We only have one problem. I can't get him to use the bathroom when we are out and about. I take his potty seat with me when we go shopping or run errands but he is petrified of public bathrooms.
In the last week I have been able to get him to look into the bathroom in Target. That is about as far as he will go. When we are out I take him in a pull-up. He rarely ever goes to the bathroom in it. He usually holds it until we get home. Does anyone have any tips on getting him comfortable with using the bathroom in public places? TIA!
Me, 33 Hubby, 34
CamsMommy
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Potty training

Postby CamsMommy » Mon May 27, 2013 5:40 am

It's now May and we are finally over the fear of going potty in public places. I'm writing this so that maybe it helps someone else. First what I did is I made him throw out his potty that we keep in the trunk of the car. We had a talk about it and he was ok with it being gone. We then went to the mall where they have the mothers station and had him try to use the potty. In that bathroom they have a potty his size. He was scared and threw a fit but after a little bribing (a cookie) he finally went and was fine. We also carry a little stack of post-it notes with us to place over the flushing sensor so it doesn't flush while he's on the potty. He will only use the handicap stall but that's ok. I'll take that over having accidents in public. For anyone else going through this, it'll take time and just take their lead.
Me, 33 Hubby, 34
CamsMommy
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)