Potty Training Tips

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Potty Training Tips

Postby Maxhappy » Wed May 15, 2013 10:08 am

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to give some advice on what helped your precious little ones start using the potty or toilet. My little boy is 2 years 5 months and I have just started with potty training, I have stayed in as much as possible. I have put fairy liquid in the bottom of the potty and told him it will make bubbles when he wees. I have also got some stickers to give him to put on the potty when he wees in it. He will sit on it but hasn't done a wee in it yet, he is happy to run around for a short while with no nappy on but after a while he asks me to put a nappy on him. Also I was wonddering when I nip out to the supermarket etc. If I should put him a nappy on or if this is actually confusing for them. I know if I don't put him a nappy on that he would wet himself, I'm happy to take spare clothes but as a bus user doesn't seem like the best port of call. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Maxhappy

Re: Potty Training Tips

Postby BeccaM » Fri May 24, 2013 5:24 am

Well, we started a lot earlier (because I had initially tried elimination communication or "infant potty training" but didn't do it 100% so it didn't work for us). Anyway, we started around 15 months. He was completely trained for poop at 20 months, but pee has been a longer journey. He is now 2 1/2 and just now would I say he is potty trained (except for nighttime).

I tried to make it a positive thing. When he was younger, I would read a book to him on the toilet or do a "puppet show" with one of his animals. something special that would get him to want to sit on the toilet. I also would reward him many times with a graham cracker bunny or chocolate chip if he sat there for a while (even if he didn't actually "go") That motivated him to want to sit there, which with active little boys can be a challenge! :)

On the other hand, I also gave him a lot of diaper free time when he was smaller. We had to wipe up pee accidents, but it gave me an idea of his elimination routine, and also gave him an awareness of when he had to go. We also use cloth diapers, so I think he could feel the wetness better, and it gave him that awareness he needed to know how to let us know when he was going to go. That said, for the longest time he would tell us as he was actually going,so he still missed the toilet. But I saw that as a sign that he was catching on to what was happening. And then one day, a month or two ago, he suddenly started telling us "Have to go pee!" and holding it on the way to the toilet. Since then, he has gotten much better at holding it until he makes it to the toilet. We switched him to underwear right away, which is really thrilled about! He likes being a big boy. And though I sometimes have wet undies and pants to change, I think it helps reinforce to him that it's time to use the toilet all the time and "big boys don't pee in their pants anymore".

So for us, it was a process of trying to be positive about it, rewarding his sitting on the toilet, not acting annoyed when he had his many accidents, as well as raising awareness for his bodily functions. I think so many kids, especially those who wear disposable diapers (no offense--they just keep them drier!) have trouble even knowing when they are going. That's why diaper free time and or pull-ups/cloth diapers are helpful in helping them know when they've gone.

Sorry for the novel!

ETA: we used cloth diapers when out in public, but took him to the toilet regularly. just to save him the embarrassment of an accident in public. :)
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)