Am I being over protective?

Solid foods. Babbling. Teething molars. Behavior changes. First words and sentences. Learning and growing fast.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Am I being over protective?

Postby Maxhappy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi, I was wondering what other people's opinions were of the situation I have found myself in. My MIL and FIL are both fantastic with my son and he loves them both to pieces, they look after him 3 days a week while I am work. I am extremely grateful for their kindness, my mum looks after him 1 day through the week too. I live for my 1 day off during the week and the weekends so I can spend time with my precious boy. Now the other day my partner mentioned after picking our son up that his mum and dad were going to take our son away to the caravan for a long weekend. He has never slept out and not a day has gone by where I haven't seen him everyday. I don't want him to go over night let alone a long weekend. My partner couldn't disagree more so I said I would agree to 1 overnight and we would pick him up. After a non heated discussion my partner wished to no longer discuss it as he didn't want to get into an argument about it. I just believe he is too young to spend so much time away from his parents and the anxiety I would feel being parted from him would like send my blood pressure through the roof, which certainly isn't good for me as I am 6 months pregnant. Just wondered what other peoples thoughts were on this and if they would happily let their 2.5 year go away for a long weekend witht he grandparents.
Maxhappy

Re: Am I being over protective?

Postby TTC in Florida » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:45 am

Yikes how stressful!

I don't like that the decision seems to have been made without you! I think it would have been a lot different if the grandparents had approached you and said that they would really like to take him away for the weekend and ask you permission -- not TELL you what is happening with your own child.

I'm pregnant with my first so I can't say for sure, but I think I will be comfortable if my parents want to take my child on a short vacation, as long as I feel their health and abilities won't put the child in danger. But again, I think the real issue is that your husband and his parents TOLD you what was happening instead of asking. YOU are the child's mother and the final decision is yours!

Also -- does your son want to go? His desire should play a factor as well. At 2.5, if you explain the situation to him, he might not want to leave you for three days!
Me (Cara) & DH: 27 * Anniversary: 12.28.08 * TTC for one year before BFP!

TTC in Florida
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Toddlers (One to Two Years)