Help!

Discipline. Learning new things. Making friends. Imaginary friends. Food aversions. Counting and learning to write.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Help!

Postby KatB3 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi! My DD is 3 as of today. She refuses to potty-train. I feel like I've tried everything. She understands what is supposed to happen, and she will wear panties or training pants occasionally, but she will not use the potty. She gets very upset when she pees or poops in her panties and then sobs begging me for a diaper. I began introducing her to the potty (books, a princess potty) when she turned 2. It's been a full year now and I'm frustrated. I know part of the problem being that when she was 21 months old I gave birth to my DS. So he is in diapers and playing and she doesn't want to have to stop playing to use the potty. I've been talking to her this last week about the "Diaper Fairy" who comes and takes diapers from big girls and gives them to little babies. Lol, I'll try anything now. Help!!!
KatB3

Re: Help!

Postby josephortiz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 am

I think potty training is one of those things that does have a science, but it still is so individual with a lot of factors. I would like to suggest you to put fairy liquid in the bottom of the potty and tell her it will make bubbles when she wees. I remember my 2 Year old preschool going niece also had the same problem. Her mother was not getting any solution to this, But after meeting with the niece Melville Full Day preschool teacher, getting many ideas on Potty Training for kids. Sister tried all those ideas suggested by teachers and got a positive result from baby side. Apart from education training, Melville Full Day preschool teacher also gives potty training to kids.
josephortiz
Friend

Re: Help!

Postby Tessa10 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:47 am

Hey, I know this may not be helpful, but it's not uncommon for kids to still be potty training beyond three and even right up to four.

I know it's more convenient and cheaper to not worry about diapers, but when my daughter was three and hadn't fully learnt remember getting anxious that her friends were and she wasn't. I also became a bit coy to talk about it with other mothers. There is such a natural attitude of comparison and competition, even if we don't like to admit it.

If there were no other kids and parents about, I bet I wouldn't have stressed about it at all. Your DD will definitely learn in her own time, and unfortunately, she's probably picking up on the heightened pressure around potty training which may well be putting her off.

I don't mean to be patronising. I know that you know all of this. I also know from experience that people telling me to "relax" didn't help me to do so. That said, try to relax and let her lead you! ;-)

Keeping it fun with bubbles and food colors is nice, as long as it is light and fun.

BTW, my DD was fully trained by 3yrs 8months. And now, she's actually overtaken other kids as she'll wipe her bum herself when most others still need more help.

Hope some of this helps.

T x
Tessa10
Friend

Return to Preschoolers (Three to Four Years)