Hard poop + fear of poop = Kiss pooptraining goodbye!!!!!!!!

Discipline. Learning new things. Making friends. Imaginary friends. Food aversions. Counting and learning to write.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Hard poop + fear of poop = Kiss pooptraining goodbye!!!!!!!!

Postby lulu26 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:35 pm

I don't think my son will ever be poopoo trained. I honestly don't! He's been peepee trained for 6 months now but still wears a pullup because I'm scared he's gonna poop at preschool. In addition, he's had some bad hard poop episodes so that made potty training even harder. He's been on Miralax for months now and his doctor says that's fine. He has a tendencey to get constipated easily. No matter how many veggies I feed him. He hates fruit. I chase him with water + juice all day long. He has a cup of juice every day. I've also tried every reward possible. Tons of praises, hugs, kisses, books, small potty, big potty, EVERYTHING! He knows exactly where poop is supposed to go but refuses to do it. He always says, "maybe tomorrow" LOL. He's 3 1/4 now I'm just so depressed that he's not trained yet.
Has anyone had experience with their LO being afraid to poop because of hard poop issues.....I'm desperate!
lulu26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kasonsmom » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Ask your ped. about adding Miralax to his juice. Liams case of constipation may have been severe but all the Miralax is, is extra fiber. It has really helped Liam.
Me -24
DH- 26
**PPCM survivor, 2005**
Liam, January 10, 2008
Kason, April 6, 2005
kasonsmom
Angel
Angel

Postby MissyMia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Once I started using Benefiber, my dd couldn't hold it in anymore. She was pee trained about 6 months before being poo trained. And she said that same thing too "maybe I'll try tomorrow". She said that for a long time before actually doing it. We were totally successful at other people's houses, but not ours. She would try so hard not to go, causing hard poo's. The benefiber helped us the most. I put it in every cup of milk she had, and then I would watch her all day to catch her if I thought she had to go. Princess stickers were the reward that seemed to be an incentive to go.

Our pedi said 1tsp, and I think I gave 2tsp for the time, and oops. That was a disaster. So then I did half tsps a couple times a day.
DD1 - 2/12/08
DD2 - 10/7/10
DD3 - Due August 11th

MissyMia
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Leighsah » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 am

P has the same issues.....we've had to use suppositories twice now. We tried Miralax, but it gave him horrible diarrhea that he couldn't control. Now we do prune and grape juice mixed.

He doesn't go in his pants though.....he just holds the poop in FOREVER. I use bribes now. "If you poop you get "x." Then I sit next to him while he is on the potty and talk to him while he pushes out whatever huge log he has stuck in there. I am more into bribes for this because I don't want him to get sick holding it in.....he has gone a little over a week before holding it.

I think in your situation, I wouldn't worry too much. I would just make sure the hard poop is under control first.....once his stools are soft, then maybe work on getting it into the potty. how does he go? Does he poop in his pullup standing up? If so, then I would tell him he could get started pushing it out standing up and then sit on the toilet to finish.....you can also make him clean himself up after he goes in his pullup.

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lulu26 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks ladies.

Leighsah, L is still absolutely terrified to sit on the potty. I made the mistake of peepee training him standing up so he never really sat on the potty and now of course he's terrified. Like his dad, he is obssessed with routine and hates change. He holds his poop all day and then poops after bathtime :roll: After we tuck him in :roll: :roll: It drives me nuts. But he poops standing on his bed. Heavens, I don't know when he'll be trained he's 3.5!!!!
If we give him too much miralax it's diarrehea city :oops: so he gets half a capfull every morning. Just last week I tried to switch to every other morning and he got clogged, poor baby was miserable. Breaks my heart seeing him like that...
Honestly, I 'm so depressed over this...
lulu26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lstar311 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Lulu, my son was 3 and a half when he poop trained. He sounds exactly like your son is, he was afraid to sit on the potty, pooped and peed standing up. He pee trained right at 3 but refused to poop in the potty. Would hold it for days and then had a hard time finally going in his pullup. He would cry and scream if I'd try to get him to poop on the potty. Finally I told him that after our vacation he'd have to start pooping on the potty. I think setting a deadline helped him. He definitely still cried the first few times but then he got the hang of it pretty quickly. I did sticker charts and he got a "special treat" after every poop. He still asks for a treat after pooping, usually a hershey kiss or something. After that he had some trouble pooping in public bathrooms but we've even gotten past that. Good luck, I know how hard it can be. Hang in there.
Lstar311
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Angela_R » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:30 am

We are in the same boat here! Except Miralax doesn't work great for us (mostly because she knows when i put it in her drink and then she tells me to throw that drink out because it "tastes disgusting" according to DD she just turned 3) AND even if I do get it past her, she never ever finishes a drink - it may take her alll day to drink one full serving a day. She prefers water, not crazy about juice, and will NOT drink milk. (she was breastfed until we weaned about 6 weeks ago)

She pees on the potty fine but if she feels any pressure whatsoever of an oncoming poop, she wants to run and put on a pullup super fast. Every poop is crying and screaming and it's not fun.

Right now we are trying PediaLax Watermelon flavored chewable tablets. She will eat those, so we'll see if they will help us regulate her poop and make it softer/easier. Once we get it softer and where she's not screaming and crying during her poop, then I will work on getting her to poop on the potty.

I will probably have to do it "cold turkey" just like weaning her from BF we had to do it cold turkey (she would have BF forever haha!) so my plan is to just stop purchasing pull ups. Then she has no choice. She'll either have to poop on the potty or poop in her panties and risk getting poop all over her pretty dresses (i got me a girly girl) :P
12/26/06 Angel in Heaven 13wk2d
I survived blood thinner injections during pregnancy!
Angela_R
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Hard poop + fear of poop = Kiss pooptraining goodbye!!!!

Postby Yankeegirl » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:50 am

Lulu,

Has your struggle with getting your son to poop in the potty resolved? My son is 4 and still wont poop in the potty. He will pee just fine. But poop? No. He screams and cries and said he is afraid something is going to bite him. I was just curious if you found something that works.
Yankeegirl
Angel
Angel

Return to Preschoolers (Three to Four Years)