Potty Training

Discipline. Learning new things. Making friends. Imaginary friends. Food aversions. Counting and learning to write.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Potty Training

Postby PiscesPassion » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Does anyone have a 4 year old that is not potty trained yet??? DS is being SOOOO stubborn with the potty training. He's 68 lbs and the only pull ups that fit him are the Goodnite ones and he's quickly outgrowing those. I've bought big boy undies for him and it doesn't seem to phase him.

He will pee/poo in the potty ONLY if he's naked from the waist down. If I put undies or the pull up on him, he will pee or poo in them! I'm really at wits end trying to get him potty trained. We've been using M&Ms as rewards but he will only do it if he's naked.

I would really like him potty trained before this baby comes as I don't want 2 in diapers and he's just getting way too big now. Any advice on different techniques I can do with him to help him progress faster??
Jennifer (33) Michael (35)
Michael William born 9-5-08 after 3 years TTC
Kylie Elizabeth due on 6-27-13 after 15 months TTC

ImageImage

PiscesPassion
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Potty Training

Postby ete29 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:50 am

My DS refused to potty train. He knew how, but wouldn't. We tried the m&ms and jelly beans, reward chart etc. finally I took him to a preschool and they let us stay for the afternoon and play. They told him he had to potty train before he could come regularly. The next day he was excited to wear his underwear. After three days or so, he was pee trained. He won't go poop in potty and likes to hold it in (not sure what to do for that!) but he stays dry all day and can now go to preschool.

In the beginning he would periodically want his diaper back, but I would just insist he wear the undies for an hour and we set the timer. By the time it went off, he'd voluntarily stay in his undies. We also stopped rewarding for peeing in the potty, and have reserved rewards for pooping in the potty.

Hope that helps!
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Potty Training

Postby ete29 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 am

*forgot to add, we practiced pulling down pants and pulling them up. He wouldn't do it at first, but I sit next to him and talk him through it and praise him when he does it. Only took a few days for him to feel capable.
DS Dec'08
DD Jul'10 dx w/high risk neuroblastoma June '11-became an angel oct '12
Early M/C July '13
DD Jan'15
My Blog
ete29
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Preschoolers (Three to Four Years)