Is it worth it?

Share ideas, plans and photos of your nursery here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Is it worth it?

Postby shermy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:21 pm

This is our first child, and being the excited parents we are, I have already started pouring my all into the nursery...well only the planning part so far, but my question is...

Did any of you 2nd+ time moms out there pay an arm and a leg for beautiful bedding you loved? Would you do it again?

We found basically the most perfect bedding ever, you know, the bedding you dream of before having a child. It is modern, clean looking and gender neutral (if anything more on the male side, but really could go either way). It is way more than we were ever planning on paying....ever, but, gah, is it worth it?

If we could, we would just buy the blanket instead of the whole set, but they don't do that with this set. It is all or nothing.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

http://www.finchfound.com

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:47 pm

What kind of bedding is included?

I bought bedding for M, and in reality the only useful thing in there was the crib sheet! Which she no longer uses, since Leo is in the crib now with his own (CHEAP WALMART BRAND SHEETS!! LOL!!) and she's in her full size bed.
The blanket that came with it -- too small, got hung on the wall, I now use on the floor for Leo to play on but it's even too small for that.
Bumpers - didn't use them. Safety hazard.

So, my vote is no. Wait to spend the money for a beautiful toddler bedding set for when your child moves into a bed she will use for more than two years.

Crib bedding isn't worth it, imo.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shermy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it, and I never though about how small those crib blankets are...
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby eri_chicago » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:57 pm

I agree with the PP. My husband and I (ok it was mostly ME) went ALL OUT. Truth be told my LO is more content in his Pack N Play than in his crib. We didn't use the bumper - we switched to a mesh breathable one. The crib blanket is so small that it serves no purpose at all. It's just laying across the back of my glider. The sheet is the only thing we use and to be honest - it looks like it came from Walmart.

I wish I had just waited until we converted the crib to his toddler bed. Oh well, lesson learned.
eri_chicago
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby maggiemay » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:02 am

We spent an arm and a leg on our bedding for DD#1 too and I loved it. It came with bumper, blanket, sheet and dust ruff. We ended up using the most of everything and when we converted to the toddler we even used the blanket.

I say go for it. We loved our girls room and it was always fun showing it to guests...everyone wants to see the baby's room.
Me 34
Dh 34
Dd#1 3yo
Dd#2 born 5.1.10

Married my Highschool Sweetheart~The first love of my life!

maggiemay
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sherry2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:12 am

welp lemme say you don't need to. if i were rich i would have, what i wanted was like $200 a set, which for one isn't bad but for two is ALOT, when you consider it's like 4 pieces, and then you gotto buy all the extras. i'm sure i could have fallen for some $1k set somewhere but why when i know i couldn't get it, lol. why torture myself, so i looked at bbrus and under only, lol, and i got a steal. both sets, 9 pieces each, much better quality and materials then the much more pricey set i bought for abagail years ago, and on ebay got 'em for $150 total for both including ship. i'm thrilled i went that route, left more money for decor stuff, lol.

if i could jump into these sets myself and sleep forever i would, so you can get great quality and beautiful sets at great prices just look around intently. no need to spend $400 a set when you can get something much cheaper that looks like it.

you always go out more for the first, unless money is not an issue but with me..no matter how much loot i hve ever had, i've always been a bargain babe. maybe if i were filthy rich, but idk, i still forsee me loving my end of the year clearance sales at victoria's secret, my mandees, g&g, and i'd still likely go to walmart to, lol

xoxo sherry

EDITED TO ADD--- welp i got one lst thing to say since i just now realized you are in LOVE with a set. i AM one for not being so practical when it comes to something i'm head over heels for. if it sticks in my brain and i can't shake it, i gotto have it, and will fight to have it, soooo that being said, if this bedding IS one of those things, then BUY IT. you'll likely have another bambino, or two:) IF you can more easilly shake it, and can snap yourself into reality, which idk if that is the case, you sound smitten, i know this feeling well lol, then you can think less $, but..if you got it and are in love, and it will make you so happy to see it in that nursery, then grab it.

xoxox
sherry2010
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tracylee » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:34 pm

we spent I think $160 somthing on both sets for my kids from babysupermall and I didn't feel the least bit bad about it and never once said to myself,, OOOO I wish I hadnt. The only thing we didn't use was the comforter however with my 2nd we now use the comforter on the floor when we do tummy time. This way it didn't go to waste. Go for it, spend away.

I will tell you this, when you go to have your 2nd we found that although we still spent alot on the bedding set, everything else we bought off craigs list and consignment shops. I think that happens a lot when people have their second and third child, you will too I'm sure.
ImageImageImage
Tracylee
Angel
Angel

Postby ~FairyMama~ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Hmm, well I am torn.
I took the time to make a really nice nursery. Painted the walls two different colors, put up a wall border to match the bedding set I got. I bought the full set of bedding, plus a rug, diaper holder, window valance, lamp, wall hangings. I also bought a personalized clock with his name to match the bedding, and a matching outlet cover. The room came out rediculosly cute IMO, but my son is 16 months and spent ZERO time in it lol. He ended up co-sleeping with us, so is pretty much never in the crib, which I eventually moved to our room to try to get him to switch and we gave up after a few attempts. His room also ended up becoming almost like storage since he wasn't in there lol.

So I don't regret at all taking the time to buy all the stuff that I really wanted but it honestly hasn't really been used. I am going to work on getting the room back to being his room soon since he is older now and Maybe he will play in it, but he mostly just plays in the living room. So I have been thinking about selling all the stuff I bought. I would love the xtra cash, I just hate to part with it because it does all look SO cute together lol.
DS: 10/2008
TTC #2 since 10/2009
Early Loss: 8/2011
BFP: 11/2014!!
~FairyMama~
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mommy23boys » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:00 pm

I say go for it! i went all out on Z room then used the set for the next one too! We loved it, my husband was the one how picked it out!
Stephanie and Eli
Zander 6, Landen 4, and Syler 2

ITS A GIRL!!!
Mommy23boys
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby littlepiece » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:25 am

My daughter just turned 1 year. We did her room pretty neutral because I had a hard time believing that I was having a girl at first. People told me over and over again, "oh your having a boy aren't you?" So my husband and I decided to go neutral knowing we wanted a second one. Well we bought a really cute bedding set and didn't even use half of it. I so wish we had just bought some sheets and maybe some wooden decorative pieces or stickers. Now that she is a year I want to change her room so bad! She is actually noticing things now, so it will be so fun to take her shopping to see what she is drawn to when it comes to colors and bedding!!! We are going to paint her room again this summer! :D
Me ~ Angie 30
DH ~ Jacob 29
Amelia Rose ~ 2 years old!
Evelyn Aretta ~ 2/19/11
littlepiece
Angel
Angel

Postby shermy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 pm

For anyone who ends up reading this, what we did was end up going in between for pricing. We didn't go with the mega expensive set, but didn't stick with the set we got for 79.00, we got beautiful neutral bedding from crate and barrel.
Wesley Alder, 7/21/2010

shermy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnnaBanana23 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:45 am

I'm going all out!! :) Might regret it but I'm sure it will look awesome! :) I've ordered bedding on etsy and it's $350 for a quilt, bumper, and two sheets... :roll:

See if I have any regrets! :)
AnnaBanana23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby plumeriamommy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:23 am

We've gone all out for all 4 of our kids. A few things were passed down. But for the last one, Lola, we went all out completely. We hadn't planned on anymore and gave all of our baby girl stuff to my sister. I still had my sons stuff since he's the only boy. Then we decided for one more, since we hadn't had anything at all other than boy clothes we had to. We opted for the crib that converts into a full size bed, it goes through all stages. I wish we did that with the others.
She's here!!!!!
Me 36 10/21/74
Hubby 44 3/23/66
Isabella 16 4/8/1994
:angel: 4/1/1999
Johnny 9 7/18/2001
Kaeli 7 4/16/2003
:angel: A boy 4/19/2004
Lola 10 months 1/22/2010
EDD 5/9/11 :angel: 9/18/2010
plumeriamommy
Angel
Angel

Postby kaylaxkitten » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:00 am

of everything, the blanket is the one thing you dont end up using...the sheets and bumpers are all ive really use...and the crib skirt, too...but really, sheets are the only necessary part....its really easy to make your own, too!
kaylaxkitten
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Nursery Themes & Photos