Any photos of modern gender neutral nurseries?

Share ideas, plans and photos of your nursery here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Any photos of modern gender neutral nurseries?

Postby littlerody » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:20 pm

We are not finding out the gender of our baby and I am having a hard time coming up with a theme and/or colors. I want something different than the yellow/mint green stuff that you usually buy when you don't know the sex.

If I knew if was a boy I would have the colours brown and blue and if it was a girl, I'd choose brown and pink. I also want a modern looking room. Anyone have any photos of something like that?

A friend just popped in to visit. She was wearing hospital scrubs in turquoise and lime green. It looked good. Do you think that's too boyish if its ends up being a girl?
littlerody
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Kendra plus 2 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:09 pm

Not at all! If it's a girl you can always add small 'girly' accents, fabrics in coordinating colors and patterns (bugs, flowers, plaids, polka dots, etc.) and if it's a boy play up the 'manly' things. I think that would be a great color scheme!
Kendra plus 2
Addicted
Addicted

Postby dontletstart » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:29 pm

So this isn't quite the same colors that you were talking about with the lime green/turquoise but it is pretty close and I wanted to let you know that this was the plan for the room whether the baby was a boy or a girl.

I also really like the brown/pink and brown/blue combinations but maybe you could find a brown/green one that could work for you.

Also, this is a site that has a lot of really nice modern fabric prints which might be able to help you as well. http://javisdavis.com/index.html

Cindy (33) & Brian (35 - SAHD)
Donovan 11.17.06 ~ 7lbs0oz :hb: Everett 10.26.08 ~ 7lbs7oz

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper and eat vegetarian and organic

Image Image
dontletstart
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Neah » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:10 pm

check out my post for Ellen's nursery and stuff...It shouldnt be that far down in the list. She has all the colors that you are talking about.
Neah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JakobsMomma » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:18 am

I've been meaning to post pics of Jakobs nursery, its very gender neutral and modern looking. I had the same idea as you with the brown but ended up changing my mind. There is a lot of green though. You can always start off neutral, and then add small girlier or boyish things when the baby is here.
Here's the bedding I used, I'll try to take pics of the room later.
http://www.withcharacter.com/productpg. ... ct_id=287#
JakobsMomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby millymomma » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:40 am

I used pale blue and pale green. You can see my thread labeled Cole or Lydia's nursery.

Also... have you thought of using brown and sage green? Then if it's a boy you could add blue, girl you could add pink, like you had wanted. Just a thought.
millymomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby littlerody » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:53 am

dontletstart - those colours are similar to what I was thinking. Where did you get the carpet? I love it. I did find some bedding yesterday that had polka dots on it, but they were lighter colours.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies.
littlerody
Addicted
Addicted

Postby littlerody » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:56 am

Neah - I just checked out Ellen's room and I love her carpet too. Where did you get that carpet?
littlerody
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Neah » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:43 am

designpublic.com. It is an angela adams carpet so you can check out angelaadams.com as well. We also got our bedding there. It is dwell baby. I noticed that dontletstart and I have the same rocker. It is at IKEA for $119 and much nicer IMO than a glider.
Neah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dontletstart » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks, our room is a bit non-traditional since we aren't going with a crib, but we're happy with how it's come out so far. We have some Kandisky posters for the walls for decoration too.

We bought the area rug from JC Penney, we thought it would work well for either sex because of all the different colors in it. And yes, it does have pink and lavender, but that doesn't bother us.

Neah, I just :hb: Ellen's room - if only we had a bigger budget to work with. It's funny we have the same rocker, and I really want to get the same Malm dresser you have, but in the white finish. It costs a lot to ship compared to the actual price of the dresser and it isn't urgent yet so I figure I'll get it one of these days. I need there to be an IKEA closer than 5 hours away
:cry:

Image Image
dontletstart
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Neah » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:36 pm

Yeah, we had to pick a special Saturday to make the 20 min drive to IKEA (cringe, sorry). I did pull a round ligament helping DH load the Maalm into the car. I also put all the funiture together myself when DH was away, that involved carrying it up from the basement piece by piece.

In terms of funding, my mom bought the crib at Target and I decided that we would buy the furniture from IKEA so that we could spend a bit more on bedding and the rug. They were the "focal points" of the room. I was also selfish in that I didnt want to paint again and the green was the color that I had chosen previously for our guest room.
Neah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dontletstart » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:10 pm

Wow, I'm impressed that you did all that on your own while pregnant. I've put together a lot of IKEA furniture (I used to live close to one...) and so I know what it is like. I think about half the furniture in our house is IKEA.

For budgeting, we were basically just trying to get everything as inexpensively as possible while still getting a look we were happy with. We generally try to limit our spending and even more so since we're on a single income now. I do so love your rug though :D

Image Image
dontletstart
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Neah » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:20 pm

I "try"to limit my spending... I am not successful at all;) The dresser was a real pain to put together. It took about two hours and lots of swearing, but my DH has been known to throw things and not read the directions, so it was easier to do it all myself than to clean up after the fit that would have inevitably ensued.

We are moving to London in January for my job (found out after I set up the nursery) so we are wondering if we should take the stuff, or just go to IKEA again over there. Seems like a waste either way I look at it. UGHHH...

I just love the fact that your son looks just like my redheaded DH did as a baby. Your family picture is great!

So anyway, any more gender neutral modern nursery ideas? Also, check out the baby stuff at pillowsandthrows.com...
Neah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dontletstart » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:16 pm

I feel like we overtook the thread, getting back on topic, here is a set that might work with you, it comes in lime/sky blue or red/brown. The red/brown is another way to go which could make for a nice unisex nursery.

http://www.murgedesigns.com/collection/06_baby/bedding/bubble_baby_bedding.html

and you might want to check out http://nursery.apartmenttherapy.com/ as they have a decidely modern design look and might have some good ideas for you :D

Image Image
dontletstart
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dontletstart » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Neah, regarding your move: do you have craigslist for your area? I constantly stalk our local one looking for good deals and around here IKEA stuff goes really fast. So, if you were to decide to leave it behind you might be able to recoup some of your money.

It's a shame you put all that work into the room and now you have to leave it. Are you looking forward to the move? We loved London when we went there on vacation. At least you should be out of the newborn period by the time of the move.

Image Image
dontletstart
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Nursery Themes & Photos