Totally OT- but need advice!!!

Share ideas, plans and photos of your nursery here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How much would you pay? these are Cdn prices.

$45
29%
$55
13%
$70
No votes
$85
No votes
All prices are too high!
29%
All prices are too high!
29%

Total votes : 31

Totally OT- but need advice!!!

Postby judeelynn » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:59 pm

I'v started up a small business on the side and I'm having a really hard time pricing my work.

I create personalized wall art for nurseries and toddler rooms. I have searched all over the internet for items like mine, but my work seems completely unique. Each canvas is 8" by 24" so fairly large and could work perfectly above a crib.

All the prices online for original personalized art on canvas seem to be in the $75 and up price range, most around the $150 mark. And most that you see online are prints or reproductions and those are usually priced around $49-$75

So, my question is what would you be willing to pay. I would like some honest feedback. Thanks so much. I will include some samples.

Also for those who like wall letters I think the majority of them online run anywhere from $8-$20 each letter so those added up would come to a min of $40 or so depending on the length of the name.

Some samples, honest feedback works best I won't be offended. Thanks

Last edited by judeelynn on Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
judeelynn
Addicted
Addicted

Postby astrila » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:59 pm

The wall art is super cute! I will be honest though - it doesn't look too hard to reproduce - except for the Owen one. That's why I voted for less money. I think the Owen one with the Monkey looks more stylized - more unique. The way you drew the monkey is really cool, and I don't think I could do the style by myself, where as the flowers and butterfly ones are easier for other people to duplicate. If I were shopping for this, I would be more inclined to just try to copy the Chloe one by myself, but I'd be more likely to buy the Owen and Claire ones.

Best wishes!
astrila
Angel
Angel

Postby hazelbazel » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:30 pm

Being that I'm not artistically inclined in the least, I would pay around $40 or $50 for one of these. Hope this helps! By the way, they are super cute!
DS conceived after many rounds of clomid, 5 IUI's and a vericocele repair- born 4/1/08
DD conceived naturally first try! - born 1/29/10
Boy/Girl Twins! Conceived after 3 months of trying, BFP month was a clomid cycle- born 7/8/13
hazelbazel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby judeelynn » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:36 pm

Thanks for the feedback, any feedback is great! And thanks for the compliments
Image Image
judeelynn
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MommyKristy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 am

Those are cute, but I would probably start with a lower price until you get some business and word gets out that you make these and then as demand goes up, so can your prices!!
Charles Grady born on May 24, 2008 at 2:59pm. 7lbs. 10oz. 20in long
Matthew born May 14, 2010 at 2:00am. 8lbs. 12oz. 20.5in long
MommyKristy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Psalm139 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:40 pm

You are very talented!!! I can tell you honestly right now that a lot of women love things like this but don't buy the stuff online because it is just way too expensive. With bedding sets already being in the hundreds at places like baby depot and babies r us, you can barely afford that, let alone furniture and then pay expensive prices for wall art. I know that struggle and catch 22 with being a self employed artist. (I do photography). It takes a LONG time and a whole lot of effort and when it comes right down to it, accepting 15 to 20 dollars for something that took you x amount of time to do starts to feel like slave labor. I think this is why walmart and places like that do so well. People can't afford the custom prices but we can't afford to work for that little. In the end however, if you want customers, you have to go as low as you can without making yourself sick :)

(doing a regular photo shoots for a family ends up with about 70 shots that have to be sorted down to the best shots. Then each picture requires adjustments with lighting, color, etc. Then you take the image and fix grain, do special effects, touch ups on people. It takes me about 10 to 12 hours to edit about 30 or 40 pictures. Then people don't want to have to pay more than about $20 for the session because they could go to Sears for that and they don't want to have to pay a lot for the prints because they could also get packages at Sears. I end up making between $40 and $50 per session with prints purchased. If you take into account the gas to drive to and from the location, the work at the location, the supplies I need to maintain the equiptment to do the shoots, the hours spent editing, the website hosting, and then the printing costs, I make probably about $1 an hour. It is insane)
"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylum would be filled with mothers."
~Edgar Watson Howe
Formerly Tinyfairypeople
Psalm139
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby judeelynn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks so much for the response. I hear ya. When you break it down by the hour it's just really bad. I also find that friends also want everything free, there is only so much you can do and not charge them.
Image Image
judeelynn
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Nursery Themes & Photos