Need ideas for co-ed room

Share ideas, plans and photos of your nursery here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Need ideas for co-ed room

Postby swann81 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:25 pm

My stepdaughter will be 9 when the baby is due and she is only here every other weekend, so she will have to share a small bedroom with the baby. If its a boy, I don't know what to do since she is so much older and already a girly 'tween. I want the room to have a definite color scheme but not too sure about the old green and yellow. I've thought about making their bed covers from matching gender neutral fleece.

We're moving in a couple months and I would like everything ready to set up for an easy transition. I don't want to bring on extra work for myself as I get more pregnant and unable to do anything with her loft bed. I can't ask her opinion because her mother is denying visitation and it won't be resolved in the courts until its almost time to move.

Any ideas?
Jordan Alyssa
Born 8/13/09 @ 5:57am @ 40 weeks
8lb 3 oz, 21" long

Xavier Gage
Born 10/19/12 @ 3:26am @ 38 weeks
8lb 8 oz, 20" long

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
swann81
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby iamshannon » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:54 pm

I have a stepson and I was worried about that too, until I found out I was having a boy :)

My plan was to use green as the main color... like, a sage green wall color, and then do my DSS's stuff in blue and green and the baby's stuff in pink and green. Then the colors would still be matchy, but they would each have their own thing and it wouldnt be the genderless yellow and green.
Shannon 29 | DH Joshua 32 | DSS Noah 3 | Eli Samuel 3.18.09

iamshannon
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LMS172 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:22 pm

my DS and my 7 yr old DSD shared a room for a few months before we bought our house. I chose a green wall color like iamshannon suggested. I also picked the Zanzibar bedding from BRU which is all jungle animals. I thought this was pretty gender neutral. I painted a mural and made my own animal print wall lettering.
DSD is only with us every other weekend and the room was pretty small so I bought a futon for her to sleep on while she was down. Below are some pics of what their room was like. I took them before the furniture was delivered so there are no crib pics but I think you can get the idea.
It worked out well, my SD loved the animals.
I hope this helps!

Lori - 40 Mike - 45
DSD Megan - 10
DS - Jack 3
DD - Emma born 10/20/11
:angel: 12/05
:angel: 12/06
ImageImage
LMS172
Angel
Angel

Postby countrymomma » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:21 pm

I was thinking of something totally different when I came across this. What about the frog prince?

http://www.target.com/Froggy-Comforter- ... rh=&page=1

That way you could do boy and frogs on one side and girly princess on the other.

Otherwise, you could go with a pale blue or a black and white theme.
FORMERLY BABYRABE
Me (34) & DH (39) Married 11/18/2000

SAHM, Homeschooling mommy to:
DD-8
^Noah True^ 12/12/06 m/c 10.5wks
DS-5
DD-4
DD-2
# FIVE!! Due May 31, 2014
countrymomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby swann81 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks for the ideas! :D

We rent an apartment and can't paint the walls or carpet, so that makes it harder for me. I love painted walls and accent colors. SO tired of white walls and light colored carpet. :?

Maybe I will just keep my eyes open at the stores for inspiration and maybe something will click. Otherwise I have a little time to figure it out before we move.
Jordan Alyssa
Born 8/13/09 @ 5:57am @ 40 weeks
8lb 3 oz, 21" long

Xavier Gage
Born 10/19/12 @ 3:26am @ 38 weeks
8lb 8 oz, 20" long

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
swann81
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Nursery Themes & Photos