PPD Signs and Advice

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

PPD Signs and Advice

Postby amvogel » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:42 am

POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE!!!

If you, your spouse, or your family and friends suspect you may have PPD after your LO arrives, PLEASE SEEK HELP and PLEASE TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!!! Please don't be offended if they say something to you (they're only trying to help). I did unusual things that I didn't even notice until my DH said something to me. It's not something to be embarrassed or ashamed about, and it doesn't make you a bad Mommy. Remind yourself that getting help is making you a GREAT Mommy because you're making a responsible decision to have a healthy relationshp with your LO. PPD can cause you to have a difficult time bonding with your new baby. It's a lot more common than most people think and can happen to anyone! Trust me when I say that your OB/Mid-Wife is probably so used to women coming to them for PPD help and medication, that they won't for one second judge you Even though I won't be around here that much when your LO's come, please PM me if you need advice or have questions about it

Here are a few things that I noticed were not normal behavior for me. My DH noticed a few of these things as well:

*Extremely tired all the time, even after getting sleep
*Not being able to fall asleep without the use of sleep meds
*Not as social as I was before
*Feeling the need to drink alcohol everynight to unwind. I would advise NOT TO DRINK ALCOHOL when you're feeling this way because it will make you feel worse. At first you might feel great, but that's only because you're masking the underlying problem. On two occassions I drank too much and got very mean because I started blaming DH for the way I felt. I haven't touched alcohol since and don't plan on it until I am feeling 100% again
*Unable to read anything without my mind wandering off
*No energy at ALL
*Feeling distant and "out of love" with DH
*Angry with DH for no reason or for petty things that would have never bothered me before
*Wouldn't clean, cook, do laundry, or answer the phone
*Dreaded the thought of having to change or feed Ella
*Severe anxiety
*Absolutely no appetite and didn't even care that I hadn't eaten anything for days
*Migraine headaches
*Feeling unattached to Ella and had a difficult time bonding with her
*Didn't want to leave the house and when I would I wouldn't care about my appearance (i.e. messy hair, no make-up)
*Absolutely 0 sex drive even after given the OK to BD again
*Forgetful of things like where I put my phone, the last time Ella had eaten, the last time I had changed her, paying the bills, etc. Things that any healthy minded person would have easily remembered
*A lot of crying for no reason, or for stupid things. Example, I forgot to DVR Dog the Bounty Hunter one night and cried my eyes out because I missed a new episode (yes, I'm a Dog junkie, lol)
*Had no interest in documenting Ella's milestones (which I regret horribly now )
*I have 100 birth announcements sitting in my kitchen that I never sent out because the thought of having to sit down and fill out envelopes gave my anxiety
*Not doing any work at the office at all, but not worried about the consequences of losing my job
*Didn't send out Thank You cards for the gifts I received after Ella was born, and I honestly didn't care that it was rude (I am usually a Thank You card stickler)
Me(Alecia)-29
DH(Alan)-29
DD-Born 01/01/10
DS-Born 10/09/12

amvogel
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:27 pm

Thank you for posting this Alecia, and happy 3 months to Ella! :)
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby terese81 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:53 am

Great post! I just want to add that there are different forms of PPD, other than the Depression that everyone thinks of when they think of PPD, and I think all moms to be/new moms need to be informed of the symptoms. A great websited it www.postpartum.net. You're NOT alone and you'e NOT crazy! Things can get better.
terese81
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Hunnybunny22 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:25 am

i had ppd and i was on meds for the first month and have been taken off them now. my symptoms were....

couldnt sleep/ sleeping too much
crying spells over nothing
couldnt hold my baby
didnt get dressed /wear make up
didnt want to go out the house
couldnt cook clean or do anything in the house
anger at everything
felt distant from my OH
mood swings

i do agree the sooner you see a dr the easier it is to treat. i was treated on a course of fluoxitene and it helped me so much

me:26 OH: 29
DS born: 42w1d 14.05.09 DD born 42w1d 15.04.11 DS 2 40w4d 27.10.13
Hunnybunny22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: PPD Signs and Advice

Postby MamaBird912 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:32 pm

This is a really old thread but last year after my son was born I suffered from ppd and it was the most difficult time in my life..

*I felt like a failure for having a cesarean
* I felt worthless for not being able to breastfeed
* I felt trapped, like my life was ruined
* I wanted to run away
* Constant exhaustion
* Crying a lot
* Had a hard time bonding with DS
* Guilt for not bonding more with DS
* I hated myself and thought I was a terrible mom
* I used to yell at my infant
* I sometimes just let him cry because "he deserved it" and I couldn't take it anymore
* I hated the thought of having other kids and didn't think I deserved them

I suffered for 8-10 months, in silence. I always loved my son, but ppd hit me so hard. It got better once he started sleeping through the night. The more I rested the better I felt. Today he is my world, my buddy, and we are actually having another baby in August!
MamaBird912
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Advice for New Moms