Baby's Layette (x-posted)

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Baby's Layette (x-posted)

Postby Kats » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:25 am

Hi girls,

I am trying to start buying clothes for my babies and I am confused. Most “Layette Checklists” say that on baby needs the items listed below. I am going to post my question beside it so they’re more organized because some things I just get confused with. My babies will be born in July.

• 7 onesies - Which ones? Short sleeves or long sleeves? Should the feet be covered or just like underwear finish?
• 2 pants
• 3 bodysuits – Tags say those are pajamas. Are there used for sleeping only?
• 3 complete outfits
• 2 hooded jackets / cotton sweaters
• 5 pairs of socks
• 2 scratch mittens
• 4 newborn hats
• 4 receiving blankets - Can these be used for swaddling or what are they for exactly?
• 1 large cotton blanket – What for? Since they say not to cover small babies?
• 2 pacifiers

I am also confused with the sizing of NEWBORN vs. 0-3 MONTHS. Internet says most newborns will be able to wear 0-3 month clothing within a few weeks after birth.

Also, for example, the list says have 7 onesies………So the 7 onesies should be a split between newborn and 0-3 months OR should newborn size have 7 onesies and 0-3 months have 7 onesies ?

….sounds simple yet I am so confused :lol:

Thanks in advance for any input.
ImageImage
Kats
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Tiffaney » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:53 am

onesies - unless you know for certain how big your babies will be (with twins I am guessing they'll be able to fit into NB clothes) - you'll want a variety of sizes. also, some onesies tend to run small or large so even though it says NB doesn't mean it will fit. they will be swaddled a lot and held so you could probably get by with short sleeved onesies. a onesie just goes down far enough to cover the diaper and snaps at the crotch - that's the only thing I know of as a onesie.

sleepers are great for any occasion! not just sleeping

receiving blankets are great for swaddling. although my experience is whatever ones they have at the hospital are better than anything I've found at target, etc. they are like the perfect size and thickness!! plus, they'll keep washing them for you so take advantage.

the heavier blanket I would say is like if you don't have the babes swaddled and someone is holding them you could cover up with that blanket. in July I suppose you might not need it. we needed one to cover her up in the carseat when we left but it was also like 20 degrees 8O

I also suggest more mittens. our LO spit up on hers and so we had to wash them out in the sink and let them air dry.

Just my personal opinions, feel free to PM me too as I don't check this board as often
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Baby's Layette (x-posted)

Postby Laura C. » Fri May 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Kats wrote:Hi girls,

I am trying to start buying clothes for my babies and I am confused. Most “Layette Checklists” say that on baby needs the items listed below. I am going to post my question beside it so they’re more organized because some things I just get confused with. My babies will be born in July.

•7 onesies - I'd get short sleeve since it's summer. Your LOs will more than likely be in NB. If you want to get the footed kind, try to get zipper instead of snaps
•2 pants We didn't use pants until she got mobile.
•3 bodysuits – Tags say those are pajamas. Are there used for sleeping only? NO, I kept her in bodysuits all day.
•3 complete outfits
2 hooded jackets / cotton sweaters- why? It's summer? Maybe a cotton jacket for going places
•5 pairs of socks
•2 scratch mittens
•4 newborn hats
•4 receiving blankets - Can these be used for swaddling or what are they for exactly? Yes, swaddling.
•1 large cotton blanket – I laid a blanket on the floor for her to lay on
•2 pacifiers

I am also confused with the sizing of NEWBORN vs. 0-3 MONTHS. Internet says most newborns will be able to wear 0-3 month clothing within a few weeks after birth.

Also, for example, the list says have 7 onesies………So the 7 onesies should be a split between newborn and 0-3 months OR should newborn size have 7 onesies and 0-3 months have 7 onesies ?

….sounds simple yet I am so confused :lol:

Thanks in advance for any input.

Laura C.
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Advice for New Moms