big sister seeing baby brother's parts?

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

big sister seeing baby brother's parts?

Postby dawn13 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:44 pm

sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but I am due with a boy and have a daughter who will be 5 and a half when her brother is born. I am so used to having an only child, so caring for two is a change for me....DD is already excited to help with baths, changing diapers etc. I want to include her so she feels part of all of this.

How do I explain the 'appendage' she will notice right away on her brother? I know she is going to ask me about it. Do you let your dd's see your ds's parts and if so, how do you handle all of that? I mean, it is okay/appropriate that I let her see him naked, right? All honest opinions welcome :?
After trying for one year and a varicocelectomy for DH in 12/08, I am finally pregnant with #2!

dawn13
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Sara_B » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:57 pm

I only have one so take this for what it's worth!

I would explain that she's a girl and her parts are girl parts and your lo is a boy and those are boy parts. If she asks anymore questions, I would just answer them. If you hide them or tell her she's not supposed to look a) she'll only be more curious or b) she'll think boy parts are bad (which may not be such a bad thing in 10+ years!).
Sara, Clint
ds#1 Carter born 01/03/2009
ds #2 Cooper born 09/02/2010

My Scentsy
Sara_B
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lyn3182 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:01 am

There's nothing wrong with little kids seeing their siblings or parents naked. Hiding it would send the wrong message - that there's something wrong or shameful about people's parts. We've always taught our toddler that "boys have penises, girls have vaginas" and he really doesn't think its a big deal seeing other kids bits. Because hes' grown up knowing about it, and seeing that mommy an daddy are different, it just seems normal to him. Plus, weve never given him reason to think that his penis has any special status over say, his belly botton or feet. We always go through a list of all our body parts each time we give the kids a bath. There's plenty of time when they get older to let them know there are special rules about private parts and what we do and don't do with them.

We have lots of friends with little girls and all the kids saw everyone elses parts this summer when we all took our kids to the pools etc. and changed them into their suits. It wasn't a big deal to any of them, I think that's because we've been so matter of fact about it and not tried to hide anything.

lyn3182
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Cindy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:25 pm

I have two girls..and when my two year old saw my friend changing her little boy, she looked and said funny vagina..I just tried to explain that boys had different vaginas we call a penis and thats what makes them a boy. For a few days she thought it was hilarious and told her grandparents when they came over...and told my other lo a lot..but now thats just fact to her. Tried not to make a big deal about it..
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommyofgirls » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:24 pm

I have all girls myself but I do have 2 younger brothers. I helped change and bath them. Nothing was hidden. It's totally fine and normal. So they had a weird looking thing called a penis. The first tme or two it was a little strange to see since I knew my parts were different but after that it was like so what my brother has dude-dads(as my dad called them lol) it seemed natural that all girls looked like me and all boys looked like my brother(s).
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Advice for New Moms