Healing after delivery

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Healing after delivery

Postby Emmas_Mama » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:00 pm

My beautiful baby girl was born at 7lb15oz and 19 3/4in, so needless to say she was a chubby little baby. Also, I only pushed through about 5 contractions, so I didn't have a real chance to stretch. The point: I tore.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice to help a tear heal faster and perhaps more comfortably? I have the tucks pads with witch hazel in them and the peri-bottle that they give you, and some benzocaine spray that my nurse gave me. I use all of these as well as the obvious changing pads EVERY time I use the restroom, blotting everything dry.

It seems like it is more uncomfortable today than it has been. It stings when I urinate, which it didn't before, and it just feels uncomfortable. It is really irritating me...

Also, how long does it usually take for these things to feel better?
Emmas_Mama
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessie81 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:06 am

I think what you're doing sounds about right. I tore as well... I used the tucks pads everything I went to the bathroom. My routine was... pee, dab to dry, tucks pad and new menstrual pad and then on my way. I found that there were some days that it burned more than other days. I also kept feeling like my stitches were tearing, but they were fine. It probably took about 4 weeks for the pain to be completely gone and 6-8 weeks before my perineum felt normal again. Oh... I also used that spray a couple times a day, especially on the days that it was the most sore... and tylenol or motrin to help with the pain. HTH! :D

jessie81
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby deleteme » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:26 am

Also, try to keep your urine very diluted by drinking lots of water. With my son, I used the peri bottle during urination to help keep the urine off the skin.
deleteme
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby faithful » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:23 pm

Hey Emmas mama,

I hope you are starting to feel better. I had a bad tear (4th degree) Luckily I didn't have as much pain as most people thought but still it hurt. I used the peri bottle, the spray and changed often. Also, try using a sitz bath, and if need be, (this may sound gross) you can urinate in it to help ease the burning until you heal a little more. I am 7wks out and I started to feel better around 2 to 3 weeks. I do have issues with my rectum where I believe I have a hemroid that won't go away and it burns and itches a lot which hurts more then the perineum. That didn't show up until about week 4. Anyways, keep doing what your doing, take some motrin to help ease the pain and try the sitz baths they do help. If you didn't get one in the hosptial you can get them at any drug store.
faithful
Star Member
Star Member

Postby charliemarie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:46 am

i didnt tear but i had 2 grazes on the upper part of my vagina which stung like hell every time i went to the bathroom, in fact day 1-3 after giving birth i did everything to avoid going to the bathroom- which made it worse.

in the early days i urinated in the shower holding a pad to my grazes, and then waited a couple of minutes before removing the pad as the urine was still getting on and stinging- i then washed the area with the shower head and had a towel folded up and ready- i stuck this between my legs until the sting was gone then made sure i was dry.

i also changed my pad and put the baby bottom cream (for get name) and put a thin layer of that on the pad.

I would wait 30 minutes after that and having a soothing bath (water only) this helped calm the rawness after the toilet.

It sounds alot but I was in SUCH agony.

I am 1 week + 1 day post birth and I finally managed to pee on the toilet tonight using a water bottle to wash the urine away and it felt tingly and odd which I presume is the nerves.

char x
Me: 22
DH: 24
DS: 1 years old
Ds: 1 day old

Charlie Joshua Maddison arrived 21.11.07 8.44 pm

Jack Samuel Maddison born 00.09 am 23 dec 08

charliemarie
Angel
Angel

Postby Leessa » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:44 pm

I had 3rd degree tearing, my baby weighted 8 lbs 8.6 oz and was 20 1/4 inches long. She was quite big! It took me about a good 2 to 3 weeks to heal. However, there are still days where I feel like peeing hurts (it didn't when I was healing), and I am 5 weeks out. I too feel like I have a hemmorhoid (as someone else also stated in a post above). But I used everything they gave me and told me to use at the hospital as well. Hang in there, it will get better. I found that soaking in warm to hot water helped a lot. A nurse actually recommended I did that, so I took her advice. Glad I did!!
Leessa
Friend

Postby ashleyp » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:20 pm

i had some pretty horrible tearing and an episi too =( i didn't start feeling better until about 4 weeks PP, stitches finally all gone by 5 weeks PP, and i still get random aches down there!

it hurt to cough or sneeze, and i didn't have a bowel movement for a week and a half because i was so terrified!!

i took two ibuprofen and two tylenol every 4-6 hours. the nurses at the hospital told me the two work wonderfully together, and they're right!

ashleyp
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babybump2008 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:10 pm

I healed completely at about 7 weeks pp. I felt better after a few weeks, but not completely healed until 7 weeks. I did everything you're doing and I also used a sitz bath. You can do it 3 times a day for 20 minutes at a time. I wasn't able to do it every time because I was too busy with a newborn...but that is what the nurse recommended.

babybump2008
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sugarstar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:39 am

I had a 4th degree tear....yikes. I had this nifty little bowl thing that fit inside my toilet...and you filled it with hot water so you could pee into it without stinging. I have to say, I never felt the pee sting, so it worked 100% for me. Because I tore so horribly, going #2 was a problem, and so was cleaning up after, so I would literally have to get in the shower every time (which was not often, stupid pain killers) Man, that sucked.

Put your tucks in the fridge, it feels super great. Also take a few chamomile tea bags, put them in cool water to wet them and then put them in your pad..it works wonders with the swelling and the tight feeling around your stitches.
TTC #1 for over a year
Clomid in Jan of '09 (50 mg)
BFP Feb of '09!!!

sugarstar
Angel
Angel

Return to Advice for New Moms