Mommies with IUD's

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Mommies with IUD's

Postby Staci » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:18 am

I really think that an IUD makes the most sense for me after DD is born but I have some questions. Is placement of the IUD considered a surgical procedure? Is there any bleeding associated with implantation? If so, how much and for how long? How about cramping? Is there any 'recovery' period or did you feel well/comfortable enough to go about your business imediately? Thank you Ladies in advance.
Staci
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby August07 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:39 pm

I had an IUD in place for 9 yrs, getting it changed every 2 years. You have to get your OB/GYN to insert it, but it is no more painfull then getting a pap done. You will have some spotting and some cramping, but no more then af cramps IMO.

I know my OB/GYN likes to put them in for the 1st time after child birth because your cervix is still open a little bit, but if its been a few months or whatever, it is still pretty much painless. I just take some tylenol before my appt.

I loved having one over the years and plan on getting another one in place at my 6 wks post appt.
ImageImage
August07
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Missi » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:30 am

Which IUD are you getting - Paragard or Mirena?

I had the Paragard copper IUD in for 7 years before we started ttc my youngest. I had one put back in at my 6 week pp appt. It's not particularly painful, you may have some cramping and spotting for a few days, but you'll be good to go immediately. I love my IUD, there's nothing to remember except to check for the strings every once in a while. I'll never use another form of bc.

Missi
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Advice for New Moms