HELP- SPITTING UP.

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

HELP- SPITTING UP.

Postby myfantasy29 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Ok ladies i need expert opinions. Tyler is spitting up alot and i took him to the dr. and she said that this is normal. She didn't change his formula.And explained the baby'd digestive system. She said that he is gaining weight and not ashowing any signs of the milk not agreeing with him. I try feeding him about 1 1'2 ounces and then stoping to burp him but he screams and screams until i give him the bottle back. Ladies is this happening to anyone else is is true that they are suppose to spit up like this. HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImageImage
myfantasy29
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby TWWbot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:36 am

If he's still spitting up I'd call your doctor back because something isn't right.
------

Username reassigned by Ellegirl for purposes of keeping pregnancy articles and stickies

Any questions, please PM Ellegirl. Thanks! :D
TWWbot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ct-w » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 pm

i have been worried about Brianna as well - the only difference is that i am breast feeding which is more concerning because i was told it shouldn't happen as much but believe me it has....she spits up a lot and she even did a projectile spit....
i had a visit from my health nurse and was told it is normal and some babies are just spitter uppers... she also mentioned it may be GERD which is a reflux problem and there is unfortunately nothing you can do except wait it out.
some pointers she suggests is that after baby feeds be sure to keep them up for a good 30 minutes post feed which will aid in digestion.
also - if your baby begins vomitting, smelly breath, bloody stools these are some signs to watch for and will require intervention from the doc. you may also want to check that your baby isn't sensitive to the formula brand you have decided to go with....you may need to switch to a soy based rather than whey.....
just be sure to find time for laundry - that was the advice i was given too :wink:
Colleen, Brett and Brianna Marie 7/27/2007
ImageImage
ct-w
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jas84047 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:19 pm

I originally got dismissed too from my son's pediatrician about his spitting up because he was gaining weight. However, all your sx sound like my son's and he has GERD/reflux. Be persistant...especially if your baby acts like he is in pain when he pukes and/or its alot more than 'spit up' and more like 'puke'! :roll: :wink: Also watch for projectile vomitting...that's another sign. Good luck!
Me: 35, Hashi's, Low Prog, Annov cycles, High Risk Pg w/ Insulin-dep GD, PreE & AMA
DH: 30, MFI due to life long asthma & heart meds
DS#1:Femara/IUI#4/Inj
TTC#2 Beg 8/07: BFP 1/30/09= :angel: 3/9/09
BFP 4/4/10@10dpiui w/ IUI#9/Inj/Prom
jas84047
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carterbaby1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Ella spits up like this too and screams when I take away the bottle to burp her. I got the same ...it's normal...from the doc. Still worries me and now she is on cereal and just shy of 5 months and she is still puking a lot. I do breast and formula.
IT'S A GIRL!!!!

Ella Kate was born on 4/6/08, 8lbs 8ozs, 20.5 inches long. She was three weeks early!

ImageImage
carterbaby1

Postby mimismama » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:26 pm

My DS has been spitting up for almost 7 months now. Some days are better than others and I think it's starting to go away then it's back twice as bad the next day! His Dr. suggested reflux meds at his 6 month appt, but also said it won't help the throwing up. I gave it to him tonight for the first time and he never threw up afterwards. He was burping a lot but no puke! Previously, they said as long as he was gaining weight and not crying when he throws up that there was nothing we could do. He did start whimpering a little after he threw up so that's why the meds. OH! And they told me not to thicken his formula with rice cereal, it wouldn't help. BUT I did do it and it did help. He threw up so much less!

ImageImage
mimismama
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Tiffaney » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:45 pm

ok so I feel stupid for asking but how do you really KNOW if it's spitting up or puke. sometimes the quantities seem more like puke, but I am BF'ing so it's also hard to tell the quantity coming up in relation to what went down. she fusses a little bit and then spits up and then she's fine. so it's kind of inbetween spitup and vomiting it sounds???

I worry about her getting enough plus having a baby that spits up a lot just makes you nervous in general, kwim?

she had lost/gained enough weight in the hospital that they didn't see a problem. her ped said that some babies are just pukey. if that is truly the case that's fine I guess but...
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mimismama » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:25 am

First, I know it looks like she is throwing up a lot really it's not that much. Take a tablespoon and drop it on your clothes, you will see it looks like a lot more once it's spilled. My DS lost weight in the first few days too, only to double his birth weight in 2 months 8O His spit up didn't smell in the beginning but it does now so I'm not sure what the difference between puke/spit up is. I don't think it's the spit up that is the problem, it's the acid that gurgles back up. Is she arching her back and pulling away from you when she is nursing? You can always bring her to the Dr for a weight check if you are worried.

ImageImage
mimismama
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Tiffaney » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:07 am

I went to a baby & me class today and she spit up in front of the LC and she (LC) didn't think it was a vomiting, just spit up. and she's gained back to 9-2, she was at 8-10 on Friday so I think we're doing good, just have to get used to it.

you make a good point about it seeming like a lot like if you pour a tablespoon of water on you. thanks for the tip!
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Advice for New Moms