sleep baby! help???

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

sleep baby! help???

Postby maggie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:43 pm

So oilvia is 2 weeks old now, and although we're sleep deprived on most days its normal and we welcome it cause she's a blessing and we love her.

However, dh is working day shift and isn't really getting any sleep.
She'll be an angel and sleepy head all day, but as soon as night hits she struggles to sleep and we struggle to get her to sleep too.
On a good night we'll get about an hour of sleep.
She won't really cry, but fuss and make noises.
How can we get her to sleep at night or sleep longer?

Please help!

Any advice I'm thankful for!

Maggie
maggie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby charliemarie » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:39 am

the only way we could get to sleep with charlie is to have him in our bed, he sleeps and latches on to the breast and we managed to go four hours without being disturbed if we are lucky.

char x
Me: 22
DH: 24
DS: 1 years old
Ds: 1 day old

Charlie Joshua Maddison arrived 21.11.07 8.44 pm

Jack Samuel Maddison born 00.09 am 23 dec 08

charliemarie
Angel
Angel

Postby Ewa » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:04 am

1. If possible get DH to sleep in a seperate room, even on the sofa if he can get any sleep that way.
2. Your lovely baby is probably still used to sleeping during the day because thats more than likely when she slept in your tummy as you rocked her with every move you took as you went about your day.
She is just new and needs to be fed on demand but at night if you have fed her and are sure she is still not hungry, gently put her down in her bed, make sure she is not too cold/hot and walk away.
If she is not screaming and just grizzling, leave her (this is the hardest part!).
This is the only way to teach her that night time is for sleep and daytime is for play!
All the best, My heart goes out to the both of you!

We did this with my first. (she is 5 now)
Our son, who is 3 now slept in our bed until he was nearly two. We were too exsausted (he had sevare reflux) to train him the way we trained our daughter. Bed sharing worked for us (I missed him when he started wanting a "big boys" bed) it does'nt suit everybody
" width="0" height="0" alt="User avatar" />
Ewa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jjswife » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:07 am

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with the post above. I simply do not agree with the 'grit your teeth and walk away' idea when it comes to babies. Babies have no other way to communicate than crying- they're crying because they need something, whether it is food, comfort, cuddling, warmth, a diaper change, or whatever... When they're older, and are crying for attention (age 1 and up) or to get what they want, or just because they're angry or whatever it's different.. with a tiny baby, they're crying because they need you.

I heard this same thing when I had DD.. I held her and cuddled her and fed her on demand and comforted her whenever she needed comforting when she was an infant. I was told by older relatives that she would never learn to comfort herself, that she would be over dependent, that she would never learn to sleep through the night, that she would be insecure, etc... YET my child was the only one who didn't scream when I left her at daycare.. why? Because she was so secure, she KNEW I was coming back for her and there was no reason to cry... she is and has always been extremely independent, has slept through the night on her own since she was 1 yr old, etc.

To the original poster- have you tried stretching out awake time during the day, so she's not sleeping all day, and doing lots of rocking at night? If you spend all night just trying to get the baby to bed, there's stress and the baby picks up on it. If you spend some time just cuddling and rockingt the baby, and then don't immediately put the baby down in the crib- but instead, keep rocking/etc for 15 min or more so the baby has a chance to get a little deeper into sleep, the baby may sleep a little longer. Changing a sleeping cycle/habits is something that can take a long time, just be patient and it'll work out! :)
jjswife
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Got_Blessing » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:44 am

Maggie- Is it better for you? As I am just now reading this post, your baby should be around 10 weeks, so hopefully your LO is sleeping more at night.

Got_Blessing
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tiffaney » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:49 pm

I am wondering too?? I am having the same issues now.

she likes to be held and sleep at night but I worry about creating bad habits by not putting her in the crib. I am also having problems with her spitting up so if I leave her and walk away I can't tell if she's fussing b/c she feels sick or just fussing.

desperate and not sure what to do
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby petal » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:21 pm

sounds bad i know but we have ended with him falling a sleep in his car seat and we have just carried it up stairs and placed it in his moses basket other wise he wont last five mins without waking and he seems to settle in there we have tried taking him out and putting him directly in to the basket our son is a month old now .
<div align="center"><u>[</u><br /></div>
petal
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Cally » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:59 pm

petal wrote:sounds bad i know but we have ended with him falling a sleep in his car seat and we have just carried it up stairs and placed it in his moses basket other wise he wont last five mins without waking and he seems to settle in there we have tried taking him out and putting him directly in to the basket our son is a month old now .

Hi petal, sorry for sticking my nose in but its not really a good idea to let your lo sleep for a long time in the carseat. Because of the upright position, the babies airway can be restricted. Sleeping in a carseat has been linked to sids. Just a friendly heads up :)
Me-34
DS-Fionn 13
DD1-Saoirse 11
DD2- Órlaith 5

ImageImage
Cally
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby petal » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:17 am

hi thanks but its not something we intend to keep up as i have a 6 year old daughter who slept in a moses basket fine also my son is bringing up his milk alot so at the moment it is preventing him from cholking xx
<div align="center"><u>[</u><br /></div>
petal
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Advice for New Moms