Constipation

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Constipation

Postby peach » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:54 am

I breast fed my 3 week old DS for about 2 weeks on and off and substituted in between with EM and formula because of soreness. Last week I made the decision to switch over to feeding only formula (still feeling extremely guilty). Since then he has suffered badly with constipation. He strains and bears down all the time and poops less than once a day. The straining is so bad it interferes with feeding him as he stiffens up and he even does it in his sleep! I've tried changing formula and giving him water inbetween feeds but nothing seems to help. He's also started to wake every hour - could this be because of the constipation? Does anyone have any tips on how to alleviate his suffering?

Many thanks!
Linda
peach

Postby amy1976 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:56 pm

First, try not to feel guilty about switching to formula....it doesn't make you a bad mommy at all!!

As for the constipation, have you thought about giving just a bottle of 2 or 3 ozs of just water?? Formula is very constipating and we dealt with this with my son when we switched over to just formula. You might also try a little bit of prune juice in the bottle. The other thing is to "pretend" to take a rectal temp. and see if that stimulates things....you don't want to do this all the time, though because as a nurse at my doctor's office said "it can make the poop shoot lazy!"

It sounds like your little one is pretty small, so I think a call to your ped. office would be a good idea. We did dark karo syrup in bottles and it helped, but my son was a little older, too. Yeah, I think a phone call might be good!
<strong>Praising God for the arrival of our miracle babies Zachary John and Olivia Lynn born on November 27th, 2006 at 34 weeks.</strong><br />
amy1976
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby leigh » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:05 am

with my ds i had this same problem . is your formula iron fortified..?? thats what caused my sons constipation.. hope this helps

and if you dont know what imean .. every formula has iron in it yes, but iron fortified is when there is extra iron added into it.
leigh
Angel
Angel

Return to Advice for New Moms