Anybody bringing up their children bilingually?

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby july » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:05 am

Hi I am bilingual and my DH is trilingual and we both speak English and our native language and my husband speaks German on top of that but we dont plan to teach the our little ones German at least I dont care for it too much anywhoom My husband wants the kids to talk our native language and I speak it but I have some problem at times so I know that the kids will speak a mixed between our native lang and Eng lol I dont really think my husband wants them to talk English until they go to school because they can learn it there but I do so that is what they're going to speak along with our Native lang because I am going to mix since I do that now with my Dh and family.
ME: 26 :hb: DH: 29 :hb: DS1: 39M :hb: DS2: 11M :hb: DD: Newborn
02/26/09 ITS A BOY!!!
06/30/11 ITS A BOY!!!
05/07/12 ITS A GIRL!!!
july
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Eren » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:00 am

We`ve decided we`re going for the one parent one language approach. What language dh and I should use together is more difficult. I`d like to be able to use English, but dh doesn`t speak it as of yet... lol. I will try and teach him. Hopefully he`ll pick some up with the baby too! I think we`ll just find something that works as we go along though maybe. :)
me 37 dh 40
dd, 6
dd, 5

:angel: #4 9w1d "Akari" (light) Dec 2014
:angel: #6 15w4d "Melanie" Dec 2015
Eren
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby buff » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:51 am

Eren,

My DH and I are trying to figure this issue out as well. He's Korean, but speaks nearly perfect English. I speak Korean like a 2 year old.

I think we're going to do one parent-one language. I feel like I still need to improve my Korean though. I don't want to be left out of conversations that DH will have with our child/ren. I feel that already when we are with his extended family or friends that don't speak English well and I can't stand the thought of feeling that way with my own child. I guess I can let that be my motivation to put in more time studying/practicing Korean. Be glad that your Japanese is so good!

Also, one of my preschool students has a Brazilian mom and American dad. Mom speaks only Portuguese with him and dad speaks only English. It works great for them. He's fluent in both, but has a very slight Portuguese accent. If she slips in an English word while talking with him, he'll say "You don't speak English, Mom!"
buff
Angel
Angel

Postby Eren » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:47 pm

I am worried about my dh feeling left out. He never studies though! lol. I hope the baby will be the kick in the butt he needs! Ha ha. :) It`s hard to study a language outside of the country where it is spoken though, so I know it won`t be easy....
me 37 dh 40
dd, 6
dd, 5

:angel: #4 9w1d "Akari" (light) Dec 2014
:angel: #6 15w4d "Melanie" Dec 2015
Eren
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Peyton » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:20 am

This is an old post but I thought I'd share my bilingual experience! I was born in Brazil and raised in England. My dad is half English half German and mum is Brazilian. I grew up speaking both languages fluently (not the German as my grandma didn't speak German to my dad, he wasn't brought up bilingually unfortunately). My Portuguese was better at first because I lived there for many years, but when I came to England I switched to English mode just as easily. Now I'm still fluent in both in speaking/reading/writing with no trouble and I love it!! It's a gift!! My Df is from New Zealand so will be speaking only English, myself and my side of the family will be speaking only Portuguese, we hope to give our baby the gift of being bilingual too!!!
<div>Little Olivia due June 26th!!!!!</div>
Peyton
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby babytime1 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:18 pm

My native language is Spanish, dh's is English (we speak both), and we speak only Spanish at home with Isabella. We have lots of friends who speak a different language other than English and they teach the other one first and always speak only that one at home. The children will learn English very easily from tv, school, friends and every day life. That is why is very important to stick to the foreign language at home, so they learn it well and dont forget it.

Nothing scientific here, only what I have seen... good luck
me 33
dh 31
dd 23 months
ds 10 days!

(working on tickers...)
babytime1
Angel
Angel

Previous

Return to Advice for New Moms