walker that does not scratch furniture

Share wisdom, tips, and advice you wish you would have received from other moms.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

walker that does not scratch furniture

Postby kiki84 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:46 am

Does anyone have a walker that when your baby bounces into your furniture it does not scratch furniture? Years ago they use to have these walkers that were soft on the outside for this purpose but I can't find them anywhere!
kiki84
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Tiffaney » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:13 pm

walkers are out - supposed to use exersaucers (stationary) instead - so maybe that's why you can't find it?? :?:
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 am

Walmart has walkers that are rubber, I don't think they would scratch your furniture.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... gMethod=rr

I have heard from a few other people that you aren't suppossed to use walkers anymore. I don't understand it though, because a exersaucer won't help them learn how to walk. :dunno:

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tiffaney » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:47 am

2 reasons, according to my pedi, to not use walkers.

1 - because they learn to walk on their tip-toes and have trouble walking normally later.
2 - they can reach things that they normally wouldn't be able to (i.e. tablecloths and pull off everything on top of them).

this is from the AAP website:

was thinking about registering for a baby walker but a friend told me that baby walkers aren't safe. Why?

Many parents think walkers will help their children learn to walk. But they don't. In fact, walkers can actually delay when a child starts to walk. More importantly, baby walkers send thousands of children to hospitals every year.

Children in baby walkers can:

Roll down the stairs — which often causes broken bones and severe head injuries. This is how most children get hurt in baby walkers.
Get burned — a child can reach higher in a walker. It is now easier for a child to pull a tablecloth off a table and spill hot coffee, grab pot handles off the stove, and reach radiators, fireplaces, or space heaters.
Drown — a child can fall into a pool or bathtub while in a walker.
Be poisoned — reaching high objects is easier in a walker.
Most walker injuries happen while adults are watching. Parents or caregivers simply cannot respond quickly enough. A child in a walker can move more than 3 feet in 1 second! Therefore, walkers are never safe to use, even with an adult close by.

What you can do

Throw out your baby walkers! Also, be sure that there are no walkers wherever your child is being cared for, such as child care centers or in someone else's home.
Try something just as enjoyable but safer, like
Stationary activity centers—they look like walkers but have no wheels. They usually have seats that rotate, tip, and bounce.
Play yards or playpens—these are great safety zones for children as they learn to sit, crawl, or walk.
High chairs—older children often enjoy sitting up in a high chair and playing with toys on the tray.

I had one when I was a kid and turned out fine so I think to each his own, just thought I'd share what I was told.
Me (Tiff) - 30, DH - 31
DD - born 11/4/2008
blog: http://babykuper.blogspot.com/
Tiffaney
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:09 am

HMM Thanks Tiffaney! Never thought about it like that.

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby chickenwing » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:42 am

walkers were actually banned in Canada years ago. So you wont find any here :)
Me (Tina)27 DH 32
BFP 04/08/10 chem 04/11/10
BFP 10DPO 05/10/10 Beta 18
Stick meatball stick!!
IT'S A BOY!!
Jackson 01/20/11
8lbs4.5oz 19.75inches
chickenwing
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Advice for New Moms