Blood screening for Downs - concern over results

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Blood screening for Downs - concern over results

Postby Sasparilla » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 am

We just received the results back from our blood screening (13wks combinged with 16wks) and were told our risk assessment was 1:12. This did not take into account the nuchal fold measurement as the scan we had at 13wks was not officially an NT scan, although they did measure the nuchal fold as 1.6.

DH & I are both 43, so we knew there was the higher risk anyway. We were offered the amnio, which we declined, as we are not prepared to do any invasive tests. We mainly wanted the blood testing for preparation purposes. They are going to be looking for soft markers during the 20wk scan in 3-4 wks.

I was just curious - does the 1.6 measurement indicate a good possibility that this is a false positive? or is it irrelevant?
Sasparilla

Postby kelliej » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm sorry you have to add the worry of this to your pregnancy.

It's really hard to say of course, without doing an amnio. Your risk alone because of your age is 1/35. So 1/12 is a difference, but not as dramatic as say, for a 25 year old. The nuchal fold itself is a good measurement--but I don't think it makes your blood results irrelevant.

One thing that might impact is how you conceived. I had "bad" numbers after my bloodwork, and I searched for information on the impact of IVF on the tests. I found a few journal articles that said, if you used IVF or IUI the drugs used to sustain the pregnancy in the first trimester can have an effect on the numbers.

My risk was exactly what it would have been for my age....it made me worry terribly (it was 1/150, I was 37) and they wouldn't calculate the nuchal fold, which was 1.5, into the equation because they only got one picture and required two. I held onto the nuchal fold and hoped. The 20 week scan was great and my son was born and he did not have Down's.

I'm sorry, that probably didn't help at all...I hope your scan brings you reassurance.

I reread your post and wanted to add-- current thought is for women of our age to have ONE blood test-- either the nuchal fold and the bloodwork (they lean toward this), or the AFP, not both, the result of combining both are skewed.
Kellie-38
DH-44
Our Boy Dot 8/2005
Our Girl Speck 3/2006
Michael our IVF miracle! Born 3/29/08
kelliej

Postby Petal4 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 am

I can't really help you much, only to say my NT measurement was 1.7 and my son doesn't have any trisomy's.

Good Luck!

Hayley x
Me (Hayley) - 33 (Hypothyroid)
DF (Paul) - 43
DD (Hollie) - 10
DS (Ethan) - born 20th Sept 07 (9lbs 4oz)
Petal4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sasparilla » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:52 am

Thanks so much. We've got our 20wk scan in 3 wks, so we're just waiting patiently until then to see how it goes. I'm hoping the 1.6 measurement is a good sign.
Sasparilla

Postby Lori05 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:30 pm

I have heard of MANY false positives when it comes to downs. I would try not to worry too much, a good chance baby will be just fine :)

Lori05
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mrsjoh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:58 am

we were told anything over 3 was something to be concerned about, we had 6, my son did not have downs but he did have a congenital heart defect, my niece had a high# too and had a small heart defect
Jasper born Nov 25, 2008-Feb 23, 2010 www.jaspersheart.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
mrsjoh
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Special Needs Babies