concern over "bright spots" in mid-preg u/s

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

concern over "bright spots" in mid-preg u/s

Postby cao » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:02 pm

hey ladies,

i had my mid-pregnancy u/s today. everything is perfect aside from two "bright spots" seen in the baby's heart. according to the doctor, it's not a huge deal at this point, but it shows that she (it's a girl!) has dense tissue around her arteries. it slightly increases her chance of DS, but not enough to greatly affect my early genetic screen results which had me at a low risk for DS. anyone else experience this? i'm trying not to worry as the online stuff sounds reassuring, and my mom had a good point that the baby is so little that she still had a lot of developing to do. but still unsettling ...
me (35), DH (35) TTC #1 for 18 months
DUE AUGUST 4th ... Charlotte Adenike ARRIVED JULY 28TH!!

cao
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby jennellis » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 pm

cao- i dont know if you can find old posts on here or not, but i had the same thing with DS at my 20 week scan the tech tore off a few of the pics and left us in the room wondering. when he saw the dr he told us that DS had bright spots on his heart and that i was being refered to a fetal genetic dr. we had to wait two weeks to see him and when we did he told us nothing new- bright spots(echogentic focus) were still there maybe a sign of downs , (i opted out of the triple scan earlier)but dont really know much else. we where left waiting and worrying. i wish i hadnt but i let it bother me the rest of the pregnancy. i was so nervous and worried about DS. when he was born Aug 27 09 i was scared to death because no one could really tell us anything and when someone tells you the might be something wrong it justs kills you. its hard not to worry.
anyway sorry to ramble i just wanted to let you know that DS is fine- no sign of anything. there are a few other ladies that were on here last year witht the same issue to my knowledgge all of the babies are fine.
my MIL is a pedi and she says that these things are showing up now because of all the new and impproved equipment drs are using and "we" dont really know how to read everything yet. she thinks that it may be something that has always been present but we were not able to see on older equipment???
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cao » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:49 am

thanks jen. that makes me feel much better. i also read something that confirmed with your MIL said about the equipment being so advanced, that its starting to pick up things like this that are probably present in nearly every baby. my OB, and a pediatrician i met with, are both not worried because my NT scan & bloodwork came out fine. so nerve wracking ... i'm glad your DS is healthy!
me (35), DH (35) TTC #1 for 18 months
DUE AUGUST 4th ... Charlotte Adenike ARRIVED JULY 28TH!!

cao
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby ncgirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:17 pm

I had the same thing at my 19 week u/s. It's called echogenic foci. I worried myself sick about it, but my dd is perfect...not one thing wrong. It's very common and most of the time it doesn't mean anything as long as it is the sole finding. I have posted about this before, as have a couple of other people, so you may wanna do a search to find the threads...probably search either echogenic focus or bright spots on the heart. I know it's so hard not to worry, but try to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy....PM me if you need anything. :)
ncgirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies