ART Legislation Across the Country

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

ART Legislation Across the Country

Postby slayergrl99 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:31 am

I have posted this on my blog, and emailed everyone I know. I'm posting it here, though many of you know the problems that people with infertility face all too well.

I am outraged by the laws being considered in may places. Please spread the message to everyone you know, care about, dislike, hate, or would like to go die in a fire that these laws to NOT protect women or their right to choices.

This will be cross-posted in many other topics. Thank you.

----------

Due to the national issue that has stemmed from the choices made by Nadya Suleman (Octomom), legislation is being considered in many states to limit reproductive rights and choices of couples who have problems conceiving naturally. Many of these couples are highly educated college graduates who chose to put themselves in a financially stable place, waiting until their early or mid-thirties to have children only to discover that the 20 years of birth control they had been using was useless: they cannot naturally concieve children. For a myriad of reasons from measles as a child (it causes male infertility in many cases), to an STD that was caught from "one night with no protection", millions of couples are affected.

Now, states are passing legislation that will not "Helpfully control" the number of embryos created but make it nearly impossible for a couple to create a healthy embryo. Georgia and Missouri already have laws either in consideration or in the Senate.

I have attached a letter I put on my FaceBook account. Please read it carefully and realize that your future, or the reproductive future of your children or grandchildren could be at stake by choices that Senators in Tallahassee, Boston, Albany, Sacramento, and many other state capitals are making. The letter applies to the Florida State Senate, but many other states across the country will be considering similar measures, Your representatives and legislators NEED your in-put so that these laws are not a knee-jerk reaction to a one-or-two off occurance.

And please remember: Infertility is not a choice, and it's not "the easy way out". It is heartbreaking. It is a medical condition that HAS treatment options, if it is not legislated away. Would you like it if the doctor said your husband or wife or mother or father couldn't have a medication for a heart problem because it only had a 20% chance of working?

-----------------------------------------------------

The letter contained below has been sent to numerous members of the Florida Senate and House of Representatives. I URGE YOU to draft your own letter and prevent a bill like Georgia Senate Bill 169 (http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2009 ... /sb169.htm) from being drafted and passed in the State of Florida.

Many of you are still in college or just out of college. Many of you have 10 or 15 years of work and school ahead of you before you even THINK about children, and that's ok. But what you forget is that infertility now affects 1 in 3 couples, and you CAN BE ONE OF THOSE 1 of 3. You may be one of those couples who “sneezes and gets pregnant”, or you may be one of the millions who spends years, not months, trying to get pregnant when YOU are finally ready. This is not about a future child, but about YOUR RIGHT TO CHOOSE when, where, and how you have your children.

Below the letter, please find all of the email addresses of the people responsible for these types of laws; Members of the Committee for Children, Families, and Elder Affairs; Health and Human Services Appropriates; as well as Health Regulation.

- - - - -

This is an open letter to the members of the Florida House of Representatives and Senate.

My name is (name deleted for privacy) and I am 23 year old college graduate, a teacher, mother-to-be, and wife. I was born and raised in Florida, where I have lived my whole life.

In the recent news, Nadya Suleman has raised eyebrows and tempers for her choice to bring 8 children into the world without a job, a house, or any means to support them, and many states are now considering legislation to “protect” the government from having to pay to keep this many children housed and sheltered.

But before the state of Florida drafts any bill, I would like to raise a few points that many people may or may not know about Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART).

1: Infertility affects many men, not just women. The numbers are anywhere between 30%-50% of any one couple's infertility may be caused by sperm-based problems.

2: It is not cheap, it is not easy, and it is emotionally draining.

2005 approximate treatment/diagnosis costs (United States, costs in US$):

Initial workup: hysteroscopy, hysterosalpingogram, blood tests ~$2,000

Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) – a.k.a. Artificial insemination ~ $200- 900 per. trial

Sonohysterogram (SHG) ~ $600 - 1,000

Clomiphene citrate (Clomid) cycle ~ $ 200 - 500

IVF cycle ~ $10,000 -30,000

Use of a surrogate mother to carry the child - dependent on arrangements, between 10,000-50,000 dollars, including medical care for the surrogate.

The MAJORITY of women who do Invitro Fertilization (IVF) transfer 1-2 embryos. The number of embryos transfered does NOT increase the likely of a healthy pregnancy, just a higher-order-multiples (HOM) pregnancy. It is NOT the hope of most women who do ART to have twins, triplets, or higher.

My hope in writing to you is that you understand that the bills that are currently under consideration in Georgia and possibly Missouri are not the best solution for the problem at hand. MOST women do not make these kind of choices. It has been speculated by many (including mental health experts) that Ms. Suleman has a mental illness and needs to seek treatment. The doctor that treated her should have used his professional judgment and referred her for counseling before continuing her treatment. Please, do not allow one or two bad choices to affect the rest of the country.

I support a limit on 2-3 embryos per transfer, but there should be no limit on the number of eggs retrieved, fertilized, or frozen. And additionally, there should not be a clause stating the embryos cannot be destroyed or donated to science. The major problem is that fertilization and implantation (when the egg takes hold inside the uterus and begins to grow) are not 100%. You can get 25 eggs, only 4 that fertilize, and yet still only 1 that looks “decent” enough for transfer. If you happen to have 5 eggs that fertilize, you freeze 3 or 4, and one or two of those may thaw for Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). It's a high-stakes game full of hard choices and harder consequences when it fails.

I know this is a lot of science mumbo-jumbo to read. But as a woman I feel it is imperative that the people making laws about my body and my ability to create the children I want to raise with my husband should be informed of the facts. You may be extremely knowledgeable in these facts, your own family may have been through these issues. However, please, understand that I do not want to have 8 children in one birth. I am currently pregnant with my husband and my first child, and it is a singleton, and we are thrilled. I simply want the chance to treat a real medical condition that may exist, and I want the chance to decide what is done with the embryos created.

Thank you for your time,

- - - - - - - - - -

Health and Human Services Appropriations:

peaden.durell.web@flsenate.gov
rich.nan.web@flsenate.gov
sobel.eleanor.web@flsenate.gov
gaetz.don.web@flsenate.gov

haridopolos.mike.web@flsenate.gov

Committee on Children, Families, and Elder Affairs:

storms.ronda.web@flsenate.gov,
detert.nancy.web@flsenate.gov,
portilla.alex.web@flsenate.gov,
garcia.rudy.web@flsenate.gov,
hill.tony.web@flsenate.gov,
justice.charlie.web@flsenate.gov,
wise.stephen.web@flsenate.gov,
rich.nan.web@flsenate.gov

committee on Health Regulation:

gaetz.don.web@flsenate.gov,
sobel.eleanor.web@flsenate.gov,
altman.thad.web@flsenate.gov,
aronberg.dave.web@flsenate.gov,
bennett.mike.web@flsenate.gov,
gardiner.andy.web@flsenate.gov,
jones.dennis.web@flsenate.gov,
lawson.alfred.web@flsenate.gov

I also strongly encourage you to go to www.flsenate.gov, scroll the left hand side, and use the “Find your Legislators” section to write directly to the person who represents your area.
slayergrl99
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Special Needs Babies