Gift for Down Syndrome nephew

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Gift for Down Syndrome nephew

Postby january » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:21 pm

My sister-in-law is 14w pregnant and just found out the baby (another boy!) has Down Syndrome. Everyone is shocked, of course (their first child died at birth of anencephaly so they've suffered more than their share), but we're all happy that it's just Downs and not T18 or T13.

Anyways, now that we know it's a boy, I'd like to get them something. Their pregnancy hasn't had enough celebration, IMO. They've got 2 older sons so the essentials & clothes are taken care of. I know nothing about Downs & my sister-in-law is just starting her research so I'm wondering if there is anything that is particularly useful/helpful specifically for a baby with Down Syndrome.

TIA!
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mamalynn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:20 pm

congrats to your sister-in-law! i am sorry they lost their first child.

there is not really anything special per se. well, i take that back...an exercise ball is something that was used early on to help build muscle tone for pj. but, most early interventionists provide that during the sessions. a boppy is a great tool for building the head and neck control. it may just the sort of thing where you wait and see what he may need. unless he is gravely ill at birth, he will be like any other child and require the same things. pj was a weak baby and some challenges, but i always thought him to be like anyone else's baby...cry, eat, sleep, pee & poop, not always in that order. lol!

alot of what DS babies need is interaction for learning. so maybe some books for mom and dad to help them learn or get ahead of the game on how to boost his learning potential. joining a local DS support group, even this early will only help them further. i would also buy something common that is given during baby showers, just to let the parents know that DS is not the only focus, but also the fact that a baby is being welcomed into the world. kwim?

it is so special that you are showing excitement and enthusiasm towards this pregnancy. you are right, a diagnosis of T21 is a relief compared to others. when we found out we were devastated, but as we researched and communicated our feelings to each other and those close to us, the excitement and anticipation for our 1st born baby grew exponentially. because my family, friends and myself viewed this pregnancy like any other pregnancy, it made for less stress and anxiety about having a child with special needs.

here are some great resources for the parents...
http://www.amazon.com/Early-Communicati ... 366&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Gross-Motor-Skill ... 366&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Babies-Down-Syndr ... 366&sr=8-3

sorry to go on and on, but in a way i like to reflect back on my own experiences with pj. it is hard to believe that he and (we) went through so much.

prayers and blessing to you and your SIL's family. if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. i don't frequent this board often, but i am around sometimes. :D
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies