My friend's baby's tay sach's diagnosis

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

My friend's baby's tay sach's diagnosis

Postby inlovewithjhk » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:32 pm

I'm so devastated for my friend- her 6 month old was just diagnosed with Tay Sachs. The most ironic part is that her and her husband had extensive genetic testing before she conceived because his family has a history of chromosomal abnormalities (he lost two siblings that way). They forgot to test her for Tay Sachs when she went for genetic counseling 8O 8O. She even had a CVS test and they found nothing. She isn't Jewish though her husband is so they didn't think twice about they tay sachs risk. :cry: :cry:
Me- 27
DH- 35

Our first IVF baby!
39W2D- Annabelle is here!!! 7 lbs 11 oz and perfect in every way

Angel baby at 6 weeks (Feb 2011)

Currently pregnant with IVF baby #2!
Keep growing little one!!
inlovewithjhk
Star Member
Star Member

Postby dixiechicken » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:44 pm

How devastating! I am so sorry that they are having to deal with all of this. Very, very sad! :praying:
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby momtosix » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:53 am

I am sorry for your friend.Tay sachs is an Ashkanaizi jewish disease.It is not like CF which is jewish and not.She must have some jewish family in her Linage.[Spelled wrong}How did they make the Discovery.?i also know someone who's child was just diagnosed at 18 months.

Suri
momtosix
Addicted
Addicted

Postby babyvalentine » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:21 am

I am so sorry for your friend. Hopefully everything will work out for them. My prayers are with them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DD-2 12/22/08
BFP #2 on 5/20/11
Together since 2006
married on 4/30
~~tiffany~~
babyvalentine
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby _Tawny » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:18 pm

I'm so sorry for your friend, that is absolutely devastating :sob:
_Tawny
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby inlovewithjhk » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:56 pm

"I am sorry for your friend.Tay sachs is an Ashkanaizi jewish disease.It is not like CF which is jewish and not.She must have some jewish family in her Linage.[Spelled wrong}How did they make the Discovery.?i also know someone who's child was just diagnosed at 18 months. "

What I have learned is that it is not just an Ashkanaizi disease... it also runs in some Italian, Greek, and eastern European populations. Actually, almost all of the Tay Sachs diagnoses in the US are from parents not of Jewish decent, which totally surprised me. I think it is because many Jews get tested before they are married to assure that they don't have a "match" of a genetic problem. They made the discovery when they noticed the baby having some eye problems and falling behind in some motor skills.

I'm scared because I'm an Ashkanizi Jew and my husband isn't and so we didn't think to get tested for Tay Sachs- but now I know that that doesn't mean that we aren't out of the clear 8O
Me- 27
DH- 35

Our first IVF baby!
39W2D- Annabelle is here!!! 7 lbs 11 oz and perfect in every way

Angel baby at 6 weeks (Feb 2011)

Currently pregnant with IVF baby #2!
Keep growing little one!!
inlovewithjhk
Star Member
Star Member

Postby momtosix » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:21 am

The family I know found out also having to do with the eyes.Wow i am jewish and did not know it can be other populations.I was never tested until my 3rd child.i am not sure why.
momtosix
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Special Needs Babies