Failure to thrive

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby alsoknownas0 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm a little late for this thread but thought I'd add my two cents:

DD was born 6 weeks early and wasn't officially IUGR but she only weighed 3 pounds and 7 ounces. THEN at 2 days old she had emergency surgery when they found a midgut volvulus (her small intestine had twisted and cut its blood supply off). She lost about 2/3 of her intestine and was in the NICU for 3 months. When she finally came home, she was still only 6 pounds and 12 ounces. We also never had the FTT diagnosis but we could see that her weight gain was on a slower curve than it should have been. (This was due to her intestines growing and adapting enough to absorb enough food.) I am proud to say that she's a little over 5 months old now and weighs 11 and a half pounds! We feed her expressed breastmilk and add Neocate formula powder and Microlipid. She is growing like a weed - but she also has a great appetite. She was eating every 2-2.5 hours until recently. Now it's more like every 3 hours. We haven't started solids yet, but I don't think dairy products will be options for us - most short bowel kids have milk protein intolerance, and she did not tolerate milk protein in formula (hence the Neocate).

Anyway...you could try Microlipid if you are looking for more fat calories. It's sold OTC at Walmart.com.
Me-31, DH-33

DD conceived on Metformin, Femara, Menopur with trigger 11/08

Missed miscarriages: 6/07, 3/08, 4/11

Restarted Metformin for PCOS 6/11
Dx with PAI-1 clotting disorder 6/11
BFP 8/11 with Menopur + Femara - started heparin
6w5d :hb: 134
9w0d :hb: 188
12w5d :hb: 160s
16w55 :hb: 137 and it's a BOY

My Ovulation Chart
alsoknownas0
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MsSwan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:42 am

Just for the record my 13 year old son was FTT and is now a 5'10inch 120lb healthy boy. It took him til almost 5 to catch up with his weight, but he has never had developmental issues. He may be tall and skinny now, but he is very active in sports and eats double what I do at a serving. He just has an extra high metabolism per his ped. I did however keep him on formula until he was 2 though. Hope this helps
Brigetta ME(38)
DH(34)
DS(16)
DS(14)
DD (2)

ImageImageImage
MsSwan
Angel
Angel

Previous

Return to Special Needs Babies