Question about the risks involved

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Question about the risks involved

Postby jovan-momof3now » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:12 am

I am 19 wks pregnant and have total placenta previa and it is centralized. I have posted it on the high risk page and I still have questions so if anyone has had that please reply but I also am coming to terms that my baby boy will be slightly if not severely premature. I am very concerned and would like any one who can give me any insight on what to expect or what I can do to make his life a little less intense please write back and let me know. I would GREATLY appreciate any insight any one has. I am trying to get some sort of idea what to expect. THANK YOU!!

jovan-momof3now

Postby Laureenjellybean » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:25 pm

I know I responded to you on the high risk thread, but just because you have a placenta previa, it doesn't mean that you will have a preemie. You very well might be able to carry your child pretty close to term if not to term. I think, and I could be wrong, that with a complete placenta previa, the bigger risk of bleeds is when you get closer to term, when you start dilating and effacing. As pixie had said, a lot of times, you bleed earlier with a partial previa.

With prematurity, there are a variety of issues that you see, depending on how developed the baby is at the time of birth. My son was born at just under 36 weeks (complete placenta previa). He did not require any NICU time, breathed like a champ from the start and ate great. The only thing that he did do was had poor temperature regulation, meaning that we had to keep him a little more bundled than a full term baby. He MIGHT possibly have what is known as a PDA (small hole in the heart from fetal circulation, common in preemies, but we're not sure yet). Given his prematurity, he very well could have had lung problems, which he luckily did not. The other things you would see in a slightly preemie baby would be weight gain/feeding issues, jaundice, and temperature control.
A preemie may need a feeding tube for a while. They may also require respiratory help either with a ventilator or CPAP, or even nasal cannula. They may need to be under phototherapy to help with jaundice, which is just a big light that they stay under in their diaper.

Not sure if any of that helps at all. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'm also a NICU nurse, so I have experience with preemies down to 24 weeks gestation.

I know you are scared and are trying to be proactive in educating yourself, but try not to freak yourself out too much...that's what I did. Take it a day at a time and give yourself a pat on the back for each additional week you make it.
Me: Laureen (30)
DH: Kenny (30)
Ds:Carter (2) (born Feb. 23, 2009)
DD: Calliana (born Oct 3,2010)
:angel: Feb 08' Baby Angelo-left us to Triploidy
:angel: :angel:-Nov 09' twin blighted ovum
:angel: July 11' early m/c
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ZiggyGirl » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:56 am

I don't have any experience with previa, but as a mama of a baby with spina bifida (found at 20 week ultrasound) I have to second this statement!

I know you are scared and are trying to be proactive in educating yourself, but try not to freak yourself out too much...that's what I did. Take it a day at a time and give yourself a pat on the back for each additional week you make it.

I was freaking out about different issues, but the theory is very much the same.
ZiggyGirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

THank you

Postby jovan-momof3now » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks everyone. I know I shouldn't freak out. I feel like I just cant help it. My family keeps trying to take my labtop because all I do is keep checking it and researching. I am just so afraid from the 2 previous miscarriages I feel like I should "prepare" myself just in case I have to go through that again. Thank you so much again for all your info and insight!!

jovan-momof3now

Postby ZiggyGirl » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:44 am

step away from dr google. seriously. it's like all the info online is worst case scenario.
ZiggyGirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Laureenjellybean » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Ziggy-I agree. Unfortunately, people don't always remember to go back and post when things went ok. They always seem to post when things go wrong.

Educate yourself so that you can be proactive in case your doctors aren't. Just know that I made it through ok and so did my son with a complete previa.
Me: Laureen (30)
DH: Kenny (30)
Ds:Carter (2) (born Feb. 23, 2009)
DD: Calliana (born Oct 3,2010)
:angel: Feb 08' Baby Angelo-left us to Triploidy
:angel: :angel:-Nov 09' twin blighted ovum
:angel: July 11' early m/c
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies