my son probably has autism

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

my son probably has autism

Postby melodie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:24 pm

So I went to the pedi to day because my son is 18 and half months old and does not talk yet...does not say 'mama' or dada'' the pedi thinks he has autism. We have to start speech therapy. The more I read about autism the more I think my son does have it. Finding this out just puts a whole new sping on everything...my going to work....our having another babya, I mean we already have 3 and my son Judah is stuck in the middle and if he is going to need more help then I don't want to have another baby and jip the baby or any of my kids of attention. Forgive me if I'm ranting I'm just trying to sort out a lot of information and emotions.
DD 1 Mercy July 11/2006
DS 2 Judah Sept 13/2007
DD 3 Charity Nov 29/2008
DD 4 Patience Jan 17/201

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/2d4b54/ttc.png

Me 26 Dh 30
Married Sept 10,2005
ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY
melodie
Angel
Angel

Postby momtosix » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:25 pm

I am soory to hear that about your son. I hope you find the answers you need to help your son.Many prayers for little Judah.

Suri
momtosix
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hoping4another » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:13 pm

I am sorry that you have to be going through this. I know that this is so much to handle right now, but there is hope. The earlier that he recieves intervention, the better. I work with many children who have autism and there is a lot that can be done for them. Speech therapy is just one of the many specialties that can help... occupational therapists can be helpful as well.
There are so many alternative therapies that are available as well, diet changes and environmental things that can be altered in order to provide the best outcome.
Please KUP on how things go.

me: 32
DH:35
DS1: 5 years old
DS2: born 10-8-08
baby BOY #3 due Aug 31, 2010!!!
hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby fuel1316 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:32 pm

im sorry about that. i dont know much about autism and im sure you and your pedi know best. i just wanted to say that my friend was 5 years old before he ever said a single word. his mother worked at a university and had him looked at by every DR and psychologist there and it turns out he just didnt feel like talking i guess. hes now 29 and very bright. he has an above average IQ and has one of the largest vocabularies of everyone i know.

im not sure if its 100% yet, but i just wanted to offer an encouraging story for what its worth. :D
Chris & Elisa Married October 5th 2007

fuel1316
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: my son probably has autism

Postby SMCMomofTwoBoys » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:43 pm

melodie wrote:So I went to the pedi to day because my son is 18 and half months old and does not talk yet...

Forgive me if you've already done this, but have you had his hearing checked? Has he had an indepth ear examination?

My older son, now almost 6, started "talking" around 10 months, then stopped at around 15 months. turns out he had major ear issues... almost deaf due to glue ear. Had tubes put in, had the pus (glue) scraped out of his ears... and then within a day or two started making more sounds and then saying some words. Then, his ears got bad again... wasnt hearing well again... starting getting ear infections again (and speech unintelligible) and had another set of tubes put in... started talking again, etc. He stopped having ear issues around age 3 but the damage was done. He has been having intensive speech therapy since age 2. Finally, at almost 6, people are starting to understand him. his vocabulary is that of a 7 year old but his speech is probably that of a 4 year old. but, he's making HUGE progress.

Sorry to rant on, but just something to consider. See if you can get him a hearing test at deaf school where they specialize in working with children. It is NOT the same as having a quickie hearing test at a dr's office. The full hearing exam was geared to children, with special toys to engage him and 3 people working with him for an hour. he had a great time and we got detailed results.

And, as others have said, its great that you are having him evaluated. the sooner he gets intervention/help, the brighter his future!
SMCMomofTwoBoys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hoping4another » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:24 pm

Good point SMCmom. There may be a variety of possible reasons for the lack of speech. I hope that they explore all options before tagging him with a label of autism. There are also children who are dyspraxic and do not know how to motor plan communication. I really hope that they can find some answers for you. Please, KUP.

me: 32
DH:35
DS1: 5 years old
DS2: born 10-8-08
baby BOY #3 due Aug 31, 2010!!!
hoping4another
Angel
Angel

Postby sominspecial231 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:15 am

HI..i know it sucks to hear that your little boy might have Autism..i know better then anyone,My son Jayce is Autistic (pdd-nos),he also has a developmental language delay and Sensory integrated disorder.Jayce has been in speech therapy since August of 08' and he has been in Occupational therapy since December of 08'.getting a diagnosis of autism is not the end of the world.and believe me it has taken me a long time to realize that.back in November of 08' when we got the official diagnosis Jayce was functioning at about 72% of his mental capabilities (70% or under is considered mentally retarded) and now he is functioning at 85 %!Jayce is doing great..he says about 10 to 20 words,he now knows where his ears,mouth,eyes,nose are.he shows more interest in everyone around him and he is SO totally a LOVER,he will give hugs and kisses all day long now!

for a while i thought Jayce was deaf because he would act as if he didn't hear me when i was calling his name.most of the time when there was a loud noise it would not effect him at all or he would get really upset and scared..we had his hearing tested and he can hear perfect!!i was hoping he was deaf so that way i didn't have to deal with an autistic child but i knew as soon as they said his hearing was perfect that he was on the spectrum!!And after getting all the results and living our "new" life i wouldn't change my son for the world!he is such a wonderful blessing!!!

thank god you have a great doctor that already at 18 months old is sending your son for speech therapy and getting the ball rolling becuz most doctors wont even consider any kind of testing till the kids are about 2 to 3 years old!and even if your little one isn't on the spectrum at least he is getting some help with speech!

if you have any questions please feel free to contact me
sominspecial231
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby dixiechicken » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:22 am

sominspecial231 wrote:HI..i know it sucks to hear that your little boy might have Autism..i know better then anyone,My son Jayce is Autistic (pdd-nos),he also has a developmental language delay and Sensory integrated disorder.Jayce has been in speech therapy since August of 08' and he has been in Occupational therapy since December of 08'.getting a diagnosis of autism is not the end of the world.and believe me it has taken me a long time to realize that.back in November of 08' when we got the official diagnosis Jayce was functioning at about 72% of his mental capabilities (70% or under is considered mentally retarded) and now he is functioning at 85 %!Jayce is doing great..he says about 10 to 20 words,he now knows where his ears,mouth,eyes,nose are.he shows more interest in everyone around him and he is SO totally a LOVER,he will give hugs and kisses all day long now!

for a while i thought Jayce was deaf because he would act as if he didn't hear me when i was calling his name.most of the time when there was a loud noise it would not effect him at all or he would get really upset and scared..we had his hearing tested and he can hear perfect!!i was hoping he was deaf so that way i didn't have to deal with an autistic child but i knew as soon as they said his hearing was perfect that he was on the spectrum!!And after getting all the results and living our "new" life i wouldn't change my son for the world!he is such a wonderful blessing!!!

thank god you have a great doctor that already at 18 months old is sending your son for speech therapy and getting the ball rolling becuz most doctors wont even consider any kind of testing till the kids are about 2 to 3 years old!and even if your little one isn't on the spectrum at least he is getting some help with speech!

if you have any questions please feel free to contact me

Fantastic news Melissa!!!!! :D
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sominspecial231 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks Jennifer...he is really doing amazing!i couldn't be more proud!he is learning more and more each day!having my husband home with him i think has helped him so much,they are like 2 peas in a pod!how is your little guy doing?
sominspecial231
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Special Needs Babies