said perfectly... (x-posted)

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

said perfectly... (x-posted)

Postby mamalynn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:36 pm

"Perhaps the only way to begin to thank those who have gone before us is to give something to those who come after us."----Pamela J. Baker

i read this and immediately thought of the women on this and many of the boards here on TWW.
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PixieB » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:21 pm

I love the 'pay it forward' concept, and with parents in stress and crisis over their child's health it really is one of the greatest gifts.

I got really helpful advice from other NICU mums whilst chatting in the expressing room, their confidence with their journey gave me confidence, their familiarity with the trials we endured gave me strength and companionship. So I endeavoured to pass on that same help to others who came after me when I'd been around the NICU long enough to have fully found my feet. The most rewarding for me was passing on useful tricks with the pump or with those early breastfeeding latches. Seeing other mums finding success where they were previously frustrated really warms the heart.

I think our ability to share our experiences and support others treading the same or similar paths is something that really strengthens a sense of community and empowerment, as suddenly we're all capable parents, and not alone in our struggles.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies