do you girls think this is a good idea?

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

do you girls think this is a good idea?

Postby jennellis » Wed May 06, 2009 1:04 pm

I couldn't think of a better group of people to ask then you ladies who have been there.
I am a SAHM but I have a home based pottery business that creates memory pieces using babies/childrens hand or footprints. Here is my website- http://web.me.com.jennellisart
I want to offer a piece at no charge to families with babies in the NICU or babies that are not expected to make it. I know that I would love to have something to help remember my sweet LO if I were in this situation. What i wanted to know is do you all think this is a good idea? and if so, how should I go about getting in touch with the right person to let people know what I want to do??? Do I just call the local hospital or what?
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fuel1316 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 pm

i think thats a very sweet idea. my baby was in the nicu for 3 weeks and had abdominal surgery at week 2. the hospital we were at has volunteers that knit blankets and beanies (hats) for all the nicu babies. my dd got the cutest blanket and 2 beanies.

i asked about them because i thought it was such a nice thing to do i figured i could knit some too and donate them... the hospital said they have a group of older retired ladies that knit all these and just bring them up to the nicu in boxes.

now these are non specific things so they can just make them and drop them off but for your idea im not 100% sure since they will be tallored around the baby itself.

i would call your hospital and talk to a nurse in the nicu and ask what they think you should do. all the nurses in my nicu were awsome and answered any and all questions i had.
Chris & Elisa Married October 5th 2007

fuel1316
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jennellis » Wed May 06, 2009 2:50 pm

thank you! your LO is precious!
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rtgirl77 » Sun May 10, 2009 4:46 pm

Its a great idea but many hospitals already have something similar. I work in the pediatric ICU and in our bereavement baskets (given to each parent whose child isn't expected to survive) we have a mold kit and we do the hand and feet prints right after death before we bathe the baby/child. They are presented in a heart frame thing. We also include a disposable camera, hand/foot print sheets, a tiny box for a lock of hair and a remembrance CD with bereavement type songs. It really just depends on how advanced your hospital is in dealing with the bereavement process. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call and ask to have your card included in any bereavement literature and then the parent can decide whether they'd like you to come up and do the mold. The only thing is, you'd have to be available at all hours of the day and night whenever the situation arises.
Jennifer (32) DH (43) DD (10) DS (9) DD (1) and our latest edition born 7/16/09
ImageImage
rtgirl77
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jennellis » Mon May 11, 2009 7:20 am

Thank you. I got touch with our local hospitals and they have a group of volunteers who help out with this type of thing. I am going today to meet with the lady who is in charge. I hope something good comes from this.
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PixieB » Tue May 12, 2009 10:29 pm

There's a program here where photographers will come in and do free quality photos of NICU babies for families just if you call them up. You may be able to make an arrangement where you leave a business card maybe with a sample of your work in the parent's lounge or expressing room at the NICU so parents can contact you themselves if they want this done. Definitely get approval from the NICU first, and if they've already got a program for this sort of thing running then it's fabulous to get involved.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies