18 wk u/s

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

18 wk u/s

Postby betafish25 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Went for my 18 wk u/s today and it's a boy. BUT my u/s showed a femur bone measuring at least a week behind and dr said baby's heart was tilted or turned at an abnormal angle. I had the NT scan and it showed low risk for downs. I have to go for a level 2 u/s. I am just devastated. Does anyone know about the heart issue?
betafish25
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrsjoh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:53 am

We have dealt with congenital heart defects with my son, we were dx at about 14 weeks, 17 weeks they saw it was a single ventricle type defect,
there are over 35 defects, many are easily repairable, some require just monitoring, they are the #1 most common birthdefect.. feel free to ask any questions, wishing you the best, please keep us updated

Some great sites
www.americanheart.org
www.childrenshospital.org you can look up your condition
www.tchin.org
www.childrensheartservices.org
www.kidswithheart.org

http://www.pted.org/ another great site, has very helpful pictures of various defects with lots of info

http://www.childrensheartfoundation.org ... heart.html
you can order a free book about chd

Jasper born Nov 25, 2008-Feb 23, 2010 www.jaspersheart.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
mrsjoh
Star Member
Star Member

Postby betafish25 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks for the information..those are some great and informative sites.
betafish25
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby sissygirl2 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 am

We are currently dealing with congenital heart defects. Our Level II u/s showed a 4 chamber heart, but was done too early to get a good look at the vessels. At the follow-up u/s a month later (21wks), they found the heart was tilted or at the wrong angle. Since then we have seen a local cardiologist for a fetal echocardiogram u/s, and received a prelim diagnosis of three different defects. We were referred to a children's hospital about 3 hours away for another opinion and from that received a diagnosis of potentially 5 different defects. Bottom line is, we will deliver at that facility and the baby will be in the Nicu until surgery at about a week old. He will again have surgery, this time open heart, when he is about 9 months old. They will be able to give us the actual diagnosis once he is born. We have been told by the doctors we are fortunate that we know this in advance as it gives us time to research, understand and prepare for what is going to happen. I know we can't do anything to change things for us, but it has made the remainder of my pregnancy stressful and full of decisions I didn't think I would be dealing with.

I hope all goes well with your appointments. Keep us posted and feel free to PM me if you need to talk.

My :angel: grew wings on October 8, 2008 ( 8w2d)

ImageImage
sissygirl2
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby sissygirl2 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 am

Betafish - just checking on you to see if you've had your Level II u/s and have any addtional information. KUP.

My :angel: grew wings on October 8, 2008 ( 8w2d)

ImageImage
sissygirl2
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby betafish25 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Sorry-I have been MIA for almost week due to some very traumatic turn of events. Last week on Wed was my fetal echocardiogram. The dr found an abnormality which he is 90% sure my baby has. It is really long but the initials are TAPVC. There are many varieties of this defect and my baby has the most rare form which in the long run actually ends up being the least complicated. This defect will require that my baby have open heart surgery at some point after being born but it should not be immediate. They know nothing for sure until the baby is born, but he is 90% sure. According to the dr, once the baby has the surgery, he will live a completely normal life and not require any further surgeries. With all that, I was then informed that my risk for chromosomal abnormalities increased 10-15% with a heart defect. IF you remember, my u/s showed a short femur. The echo dr said he had never seen this defect occur in babies with downs, and he wrote an article on this defect and all the world literature at the time had no documentation of it occuring with downs. BUT my risk was still increased. So now I had to decide if I wanted to do an amnio to find out for sure. After being on such an emotional roller coaster I decided I should do the amnio to know for sure and to help the drs who will be treating my baby know what they are up against since my baby has a heart defect. So I had that done on Thurs. of last week. Got my FISH results today... :mrgreen: normal for trisomy 13, 18, 21, and confirmation that it is definitely a boy. I am so relieved. I have to wait 2 weeks for the final results of all chromosomal abnormalities that are more rare. So now I have been transferred from one ob to the another since I now have to deliver at the hospital where the pediatric cardiologists work. I have an appt with them tomorrow and I found out I will be getting growth scans pretty regularly so lots of u/s. :mrgreen: So needless to say my stress level has been very high and so have the emotions. I am thankful for so many fantastic drs who have given me cell phone #'s to call them at home w/questions, office assistants who knew me personally saw my name and made sure I got in fast and with the best drs and of course friends and family including you guys who are a great support system.
betafish25
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Special Needs Babies