"Soft" markers and scared......

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

"Soft" markers and scared......

Postby smurfsgirl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 am

I had an ultrasound done the other day and the tech said she saw two soft markers on baby A. She saw a brightness in her bowels (echographic bowel) and something about a valve in her heart. The OB said if it were only one soft marker, they wouldn't worry about it but because there are two, that puts up a red flag. The OB and tech seem to think that it will be ok but the words cystic fibrosis and down's syndrome came out of her mouth. Now, I have been tested for cystic fibrosis and with the reasearch I did, it says that both parents have to test positive for it to pass it onto their children. I tested negative. So I am hoping the research is right.

Also, I had the ultrasound a little earlier than I should of because of the appointment accidently being made at the wrong time. I am only in my 17th week and they said they don't normally do that type of ultrasound until around the 20th week. I am hoping this is another reason they saw the markers. I'm praying that's it.

So my question is, did any of you have a few soft markers and your babies were born healthy? I need some uplifting stories!

Thanks girls.....
Kami
IVF #2- May 09- BFP!!!!!
Samantha and Mia born 1/25/10

"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."
Proverbs 16:3
smurfsgirl
Angel
Angel

Postby jesscc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:55 pm

My DD had dilated kidneys (both) until 34 weeks. This is considered a soft marker for downs, and I was terribly concerned. It resolved itself; she was born healthy! Best of luck and stay positive!
My three darlings:
DS: Dec. 06
DD: Sep. 08
DS: Apr. 10

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby amandamarie » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:10 pm

My son had several markers, he had something with his heart, a 2 vessel cord, increase nuchal translucency.. and a few others. After the first ultrasound they told me he had a 5 percent chance of being born genetically normal. So. We got an amniocenteses and guess what! He was PERFECTLY normal. I had ultrasounds 2Xmonthly, and eventually most of the markers dissappeared aside from the 2 vessel cord. He is now 2 years old, and he is 100 percent normal. My daughter, had an echogenic foci, and she was born 100 percent normal as well :D Im sure your baby is fine.. I think the drs just like to be better safe than sorry. So if there is something wrong, they can be prepared. Alot of the times though, they end up scaring us without meaning to :(

amandamarie
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Earthmomma » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:03 pm

My son had several markers as well.He had bright spots on his heart(2 of them),shorter stature,his leg bones measured 2-3 weeks behind and he had a high NT scan with a head growth of 2-3 weeks ahead, at 40 weeks his head measured close to 46 i think.

All of his markers stayed with him except the spots, they disappeared at 24 weeks.He was born perfectly healthy, he has a fat neck and is short, so try and relax, i know how tough it is, i had a terrible pregnancy because i was so worried, know that there are more false positives then negatives on those tests.
ME:23 :love: DH:26 Married 5 years
DS- 3 Years
DD-3 Months
Non CIO,Non-Vax,Homeopathic/Natural Healing,ERF,Gentle Disciplining Mama.
Earthmomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SnowysMiracle » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:37 pm

don't be afraid, having a down syndrom baby is one of the greatest blessings God can give you. my daughter has it and is perfectly healthy and happy!! i would not trade her for the world!!
SnowysMiracle

Postby SnowysMiracle » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:38 pm

syndrome* sorry, i was typing too fast! :oops:
SnowysMiracle

Postby jennellis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:35 pm

I had soft markers with my DS, he had echogenic foci his heart, we were sent to a genetic Dr and very stressed for the rest of the pg, but DS is 19 months now and has always been very healthy!
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies