Medical Alert Bracelets

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Medical Alert Bracelets

Postby mandiedq » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:45 pm

My daughter has a pretty severe tree nut allergy. I'm considering getting her a medical alert bracelet. Anyone have them for your kids? My daughter is 23 months old.
<b>Mandie</b>
DH, Brian, is 34. I am 31, Married 7 years!
String Bean arrived 11/13/07 via C-Section
Lucy Claire arrived 5/3/10 via C-Section

My blog: http://justwemoms.blogspot.com

Children are a gift from the Lord!
mandiedq
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jesscc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:19 pm

I have a severe allergy to bee stings and need one. I think it is a very good idea for a young child, especially one who cannot speak for themselves. It helps to remind other people and keep her safer. Just my 2 cents! Good luck.
My three darlings:
DS: Dec. 06
DD: Sep. 08
DS: Apr. 10

jesscc
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Quinn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:28 pm

http://www.amazon.com/STAT-KIDS-Health- ... 052&sr=8-1

i bought these for my son who is 20 months. they are small, a very good size. he wont keep it on though. he freaks. :(
Me~32, DH~34
BFP naturally Sept '06 - m/c 6 wks
TTC with IVF/ICSI/PGD only due to cancer-linked genetic mutation
IVF cycle #1 (5/07) - BFP! - DS born 2/16/08
IVF cycle #2 (9/09), #3 (1/10), #4 (2/10) & #5 (4/10) - all failed (m/c, no transfers, BFN)
FET cycle #1 (5/10) - BFP! - DD born 2/1/11

Quinn
Star Member
Star Member

Postby SMCMomofTwoBoys » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi there - i'm curious how you know about a nut allergy so early? I go out of my way to keep my little one away from anything with peanut products in it until age 3 as my pedi has said is the earliest he can try it, so i wonder how folks find out about the allergy much earlier? Is there an "easy" test that can be done without an allergy workup? I would like to not be so fearful of him encountering nut products. I didn't let my older son try peanut butter (or anything nut related) until age 6 and so far he's ok with it, but i'm nervous even still and he's only allowed to have it while he's with me, so i can keep an eye on him.

Thanks in advance.
SMCMomofTwoBoys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Quinn wrote:http://www.amazon.com/STAT-KIDS-Health-Wristband-Allergy/dp/B0015IUT70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1255642052&sr=8-1

i bought these for my son who is 20 months. they are small, a very good size. he wont keep it on though. he freaks. :(

It's been a while, but Quinn have you tried putting it around his ankle? My friends 7yo just got diagnosed with all kinds of allergies and she doesn't like wearing it around her wrist so she wears it like an anklet.

SMC ~ We weren't told to hold off on anything after 1yo. Unfortunately my ds is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and strawberries. We'll know about the other items I suspect are problems after another allergy work up.

As for the allergy testing you can do a RAST test which is blood work, or you can do the skin testing. IME with ds the skin testing was MUCH easier to do than the blood draw. I'm not so sure that you would be able to do allergy testing without him having an allergic reaction to something first.

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SMCMomofTwoBoys » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:33 pm

jaysmom wrote:
SMC ~ We weren't told to hold off on anything after 1yo. Unfortunately my ds is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and strawberries. We'll know about the other items I suspect are problems after another allergy work up.

I just found this interesting article. Looks like I will wait until age 3 at least with my LO (or maybe even age 6 like my big boy) and hold off on any testing unless there's a reaction. Whenever we go to a chinese restaurant, I always ask them to prepare our meal as if we were peanut allergic and they always respond "is someone allergic?" and I respond "I don't know and don't want to find out!"

http://kidshealth.org/research/earlier_allergies.html

According to this link, apparently if there's any family history of food allergies, they recommend waiting until age 3, otherwise age 2. We don't have any food allergies, but I'm still so fearful about it. I should mention that my kids half-brother had a serious allergic reaction to peanut butter (like 911 serious) and that is always in the back of my mind.
SMCMomofTwoBoys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:07 pm

With a family history I would defintely wait. We weren't worried because there is NO family history of any food allergies. :?

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SMCMomofTwoBoys » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:29 am

jaysmom wrote:With a family history I would defintely wait. We weren't worried because there is NO family history of any food allergies. :?

I guess that's where I'm confused. I still consider myself to be free from family history of food allergies as nobody on my side of the family has any. The donor has also reported no food allergies. The only food allergy is one child out of over 20 half siblings, so I'm thinking that could be from that child's mom's side or wouldn't it likely affect more than one half sib? I guess i need to check with the pedi and find out whether that puts my kids at higher risk? Regardless, I will stick with the age 3 guidelines (and probably age 6 because I'm just not sure there's really any need to take the risk before then anyway since they do say the earlier you try it the more likely an allergy?). The half sib that had the peanut severe reaction had that reaction after having had peanut butter many times before. It was totally unexpected and terrifying for them. I think that's the scaries part about nut allergies is they can suddenly develop after a few tries. :?
SMCMomofTwoBoys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jaysmom » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:49 pm

SMCMomofTwoBoys wrote:
jaysmom wrote:With a family history I would defintely wait. We weren't worried because there is NO family history of any food allergies. :?

I guess that's where I'm confused. I still consider myself to be free from family history of food allergies as nobody on my side of the family has any. The donor has also reported no food allergies. The only food allergy is one child out of over 20 half siblings, so I'm thinking that could be from that child's mom's side or wouldn't it likely affect more than one half sib? I guess i need to check with the pedi and find out whether that puts my kids at higher risk? Regardless, I will stick with the age 3 guidelines (and probably age 6 because I'm just not sure there's really any need to take the risk before then anyway since they do say the earlier you try it the more likely an allergy?). The half sib that had the peanut severe reaction had that reaction after having had peanut butter many times before. It was totally unexpected and terrifying for them. I think that's the scaries part about nut allergies is they can suddenly develop after a few tries. :?

My ds didn't have his nut reaction til like the 20th or so time that he ate it. I defintely wasn't expecting it.

About giving it earlier making a difference I don't know. I know that I read a couple studies not to long ago stating the opposite. I don't think anyone really knows. The increase in food allergies has risen so much in the last 10 years that it's astounding. I don't really believe it's from giving it to them before they are 3 since I know 10-20 years ago they weren't told to hold of on giving food.

If it were me and my childs half sibling had a food reaction I would personally hold off a while for sure. Just because you really don't know what side of the family it came from. But like I said we don't have food allergies on either side of the family and dh and I both have lots of family. :dunno:

Is there a family history of eczema or asthma? That apparently contributes to food allergies as well.

DD ~ 10
DS ~ 9-3-08
jaysmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby momtosix » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:30 pm

I am a walking allergy.I have six and with some of mine I held off until two b/c of me.My 16 month I gave at a year b/c there are studies done that giving early is better.In Israel they give a snack called Bamba to all their babies over 6 months.They have hardy any peanut allergies in the entire Israel go figure?
momtosix
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Quinn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:49 pm

jaysmom, thanks for the tip about wearing it on the ankle! great idea. i might try that, especially next year when he starts preschool 2 days a week.

also we were never told to hold off on any foods either. no family history of allergies either. and it was his 5th time or so having a peanut butter sandwich that he had a reaction.
Me~32, DH~34
BFP naturally Sept '06 - m/c 6 wks
TTC with IVF/ICSI/PGD only due to cancer-linked genetic mutation
IVF cycle #1 (5/07) - BFP! - DS born 2/16/08
IVF cycle #2 (9/09), #3 (1/10), #4 (2/10) & #5 (4/10) - all failed (m/c, no transfers, BFN)
FET cycle #1 (5/10) - BFP! - DD born 2/1/11

Quinn
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Special Needs Babies