"Suspected anomaly" but I have no idea what!

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

"Suspected anomaly" but I have no idea what!

Postby BabyRay » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:19 pm

I was hesitant to post here because i'm really not sure what's going on yet, but I went for my third anatomy scan today at the local hospital because they've been having trouble seeing everything they need to see. I haven't been worried because so far everyone who has performed an ultrasound on me has said everything looks great, but that the baby hasn't been super cooperative in her positioning.

However, today the doctor who performed the ultrasound spent quite a while trying to see all the parts of the heart, and was unsuccessful. He told me he wanted me to get another ultrasound at another hospital (Yale New Haven), which I found out at the appointment desk was a Fetal Echocardiogram. He had written "suspected anomaly" on the notepad for the nurse, but when I asked him if I should be worried or if anything was wrong, he seemed genuinely convinced that everything was fine, because all my previous tests and scans were okay (except for not being able to see everything they needed to see). I have no idea which part of the heart he couldn't see, and I don't know whether it's a good or bad thing that he wasn't pinpointing anything specific that was wrong.

Have any of you had a similar experience and found out later that your baby had a heart defect? I am trying not to worry too much, but at the same time I feel very in the dark about this and would appreciate any thoughts about my specific situation.

BabyRay
Star Member
Star Member

Postby flipflop1117 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 pm

^^^ what she said. I had a similar experience only with the vessles in the umbilical cord. They were unable to confirm there were three, therefor could not check it off the list and had me repeat anatomy scans until they could. I wouldn't worry, though I understand completely how it's hard not to. :hugs:
"And maybe that's what my scars really are...proof I've put myself back together." ~ Carrie Ryan
Jaxon Russel 3~15~10, Alexa Leigh 10~11~12
flipflop1117

Return to Special Needs Babies