Lvl 2 u/s question.

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Lvl 2 u/s question.

Postby irsheyez76 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:00 pm

I was given a risk of 1:20 for downs syndrome. I had my lvl 2 today and the doctor told me he didn't see anything. He couldn't increase or decrease my odds. Has this happen to anyone? I want to be hopeful that seeing nothing is a good thing, but he wouldn't say one way or the other. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
irsheyez76

Postby irsheyez76 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:41 pm

The tech took all the pictures. The doctor looked em over, then came in and glanced around himself for a bit. Said he didnt see anything that could increase or decrease my odds. So we go back Feb 23rd.

I am currently 33 years old. The NT was 3.3mm. My first round of bloodwork came in and all the numbers were in the normal range of roughly 1.0. The genetic counselor said they like to see things aroud 1.0. The NT was listed on the blood work as 2.41. So I guess it was the last test combined with the u/s and first blood test. I was actually told my first test was normal and I had nothing to worry about.. I think they jumped the gun giving me my results before I had even taken the 2nd blood test.

On the second set of blood tests my results were:

AFP = 0.98 (normal)
HCG = 1.61 (little high)
Estriol = .58 (low)
Inhibin A = 1.10 (normal
Papp A = 1.16 (normal)
NT = 2.41

makes my risk 1:20 for downs syndrome and <1:5000 for trisomy 18 and ONTD
irsheyez76

Postby bernababe » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 am

A 3 on the neck measurment is HIGH average so a 3.3 is just a bit above that. It could be that the baby is chubbier than thought or the conception date is farther along than you thought(this is why there are false positives). Are they going to do an amnio or are you choosing not to? Whatever choice you makes is yours and I hope everything comes out fine :)
DD- 10yrs
DS2-3 yrs
Due in december! EDD 12/31/2013
Our angel Kyle Ethan 07/2007 @ 24wks
m/c 5weeks 4days July 2009
m/c 5weeks April 2011
Baby Fiona due 12/31/2013
PCOS dx 2009

bernababe
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkijames » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:51 am

wow i guess i'm glad my doc does not do nt scans 8O
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby irsheyez76 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:22 pm

I actually had a repeat lvl 2 today because they werent able to get all the measurements. The baby was measuing 1lb which is normal.. they saw NO soft markers and my odds went from 1:20 (5%) to 1:50 (2%). I declined the amnio.
irsheyez76

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 am

irsheyz76-I'm sorry you are having to go through this. At 11 1/2 weeks we had our 1st tri-screening-the NT scan. Kara's measurement was 2.3-2.5 as they take many measurements. I did NOT have the blood work as I was told that my chances for having a child with Down syndrome would be 1/250 regardless of the outcome of the blood work due to my age 39 at the time. I felt then why do the blood work. When the excessive fluid was found we were told that our baby could have either a chromosomal abnormality and/or a congenital heart problem. We had a fetal echo cardiogram and the level 2 much to our surprise everything was perfect-no soft markers and heart looked great!! We were so relieved to hear the Dr. say we were having a healthy and happy baby!! And we did!! Yes she was born with a little extra, Kara indeed was born with Down syndrome but, I would not change one thing about her! She is perfect in every way. I have learned more from my daughter in the two years she has been with us than I ever did in any educational classroom!

I am not sharing this with you to scare you or to indicate that your child will have Down syndrome! I'm simply trying to say that not all babies born with down syndrome have "soft markers" that show up on even the best sonogram equipment. I was seem by the best high risk OB where I live and they had top of the line equipment..

During the 5 1/2 weeks we waited to have the fetal echo cardiogram I read hundreds of stories regarding excessive NT fluid on the neck. I found that many of the women that had high NT measurements and not so positive blood results went on to have a typical child. It seemed only a few did indeed have a child that was born with Down syndrome.

Try not to worry, chances are you will be having a healthy, happy, typical baby!!! :)

My precious Kara!

Monica
Proud Mom to two amazing children!!! (Homemade tickers by Monica)
Monica-42
Tobias DH-44
Garrett DS-7
DS Twin-MC at 10wks
Early MC 07/12/06
Early MC 09/13/06
Early MC 04/01/07
Kara Marie-2 (T-21)
Early MC 09/23/08
Miracle
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby irsheyez76 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:30 pm

I have read as much info as I could find. The doctor did tell me that only 50% of down syndrome cases show soft markers. As odd as this may or may not sound.. I am not worried about myself accepting the baby if he indeed has it. I am worried that my husband won't be able to, but that will figured out in June.. It will be a learning experience and I'm sure we will be fine no matter what.. and btw.. you're daughter is adorable..=)
irsheyez76

Return to Special Needs Babies