Signs of Autism in toddler?

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Signs of Autism in toddler?

Postby typinggurl65 » Mon May 21, 2007 6:16 am

Anyone:

If your child has autism, what were the early signs as a toddler did your chid have?

I am considering getting my toddler tested for autism. He has been diagnosed with developmental delays in speech and in reaching milestones for age. He also has sensory issues, too (not like being touched, held and not like touching things but uses only his index finger to feel objects).

Beause of insurance issues (finally resolved), he will be getting OT therapy. He has been seeing a developmental teacher who is working with him on speech, etc. He has had speech therapy but inconsistently and will be starting back up again as soon as the referrals go through.

He has some possible red flags:
*very limited if any eye contact.
*not responding when his name is called.
*not very social if at all.
*would rather play by himself most of the time.
*not speaking. Just jabbers to himself. Whines when wants something.
*does not give hugs or show affection.

Any thoughts?
Jill
Me-42, DH-43, DS-18, DD-16, DS-2 1/2, Eric-6 months, and precious baby m/c Dec. 05

Eric's big brother, Stephen 2 1/2 years

DS-Eric Holt, Born 4/18/07,
8 pounds, 5 ounces, 19 inches long!
typinggurl65
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Leighsah » Mon May 21, 2007 6:14 pm

I don't have any children with autism, but I do work with children who have autism......just from what you have reported, he likely falls somewhere on the spectrum of Pervasive Developmental Delay (which includes Autism). Where are you going to have him evaluated?? I would recommend doing straight to the school system now....I am not sure if it is the same in Florida, but here in VA, the school system is responsible for children beginning at the age of 2 and HAVE to provide services to get the child "ready for school" at no cost to the parents......

Keep us posted.....

Leighsah
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby typinggurl65 » Tue May 22, 2007 7:22 am

Leighsah:

Thanks for responding. There is a state run program called Early Steps. It is just like you mentioned, a program to assist in making sure children get therapy needed to be able to be ready for school. We have been going through them to get his OT and speech therapy. They can also arrange to have him tested for autism.

Thanks! 8)
Jill
Me-42, DH-43, DS-18, DD-16, DS-2 1/2, Eric-6 months, and precious baby m/c Dec. 05

typinggurl65
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby sweetpea3 » Wed May 23, 2007 4:16 pm

Yes, def get him evaluated and mention those concerns to the therapist. If it is or if it is not, early treatment for those symptoms will help lots! GL to you!
sweetpea3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lizzen » Fri May 25, 2007 8:44 am

Hi there! We're in FL too and received services through Early Steps (actually, I used to work for Early Steps when we lived in Broward County). Now my son is almost five and has been receiving services through our school district since the age of three. Just based on the things you've said, I'd concur with the PP who said he probably falls somewhere on the PDD spectrum. It's great you're getting him services at such a young age, it will make a tremendous difference down the line. Good luck!!
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby typinggurl65 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:52 am

Lizzen:

I just got him scheduled for his OT and Speech evals for the 5th and 6th of June. I am looking forward to him getting started back to speech and starting OT! 8)
Jill

typinggurl65
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby A&J's Mom » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:20 pm

First of all, :hugs: It's very stressful to be dealing with all of the sxs you've listed. I have been teaching sp. ed. children for the last 10 years, many of whom were Autistic so I do have a little insight for you. All of the PP have given you great advice, except for one thing. School Districts can't diagnose a child with Autism. You need to have a private psychologist, psychiatrist or medical doctor to get that diagnosis. The school can give OT, Speech, PT, and Cognitive testing and they can identify delays, and label a child Developmentally Delayed, but that's all. Please pursue a private evaluation b/c your child seems to meet at least 5 of the 7 characteristics and time is precious. Please pm me if you have more question.
A&J's Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby typinggurl65 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:47 am

Shauna:

Thanks for your help. I am still waiting to get him scheduled for testing. Probably in the next few weeks. His developmental teacher was saying that he might even be scheduled to see a neurologist. She said they do testing by measuring the brain waves when shown pictures of objects and people to see the response his brain makes. Very interesting. Have you heard of that?

Also, his OT said there is a new technique they using (not for autism) but for developmental delay. It is called something like sensory intergration using music with different frequencies. She is going to get me the info on it, so I can check it out on the web. She said it has been very successful so far. I will KUP!
Jill

typinggurl65
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby typinggurl65 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:19 am

Shauna:

I found something on the web that is probably what they are going to try on my DS:

http://www.specialchild.com/archives/ia-043.html
Jill

typinggurl65
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby typinggurl65 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:20 am

AN UPDATE****

Hey All! It has been a long time since I have been here on the boards!

My son had an in-home evaluation through the Florida State University, Centers for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD). The evaluator did an extensive questionnaire and personal observation, my 2 year old son did fit within the criteria for Autism. He is not officially diagnosed yet. He will be formerly evaluated by a pediatrician and a psychologist, and they will make the final decision. This should be forthcoming in the next few months.

It is an emotional rollercoaster. I keep thinking, what kind of life will he have as he grows older? Will he ever learn to communicate through speaking?

*****Just a note to all mommas out there, be observant of your little ones, my son started showing signs at about 1 year and then progressed from there. Autism is very prevelant, some say as much as 1 in 200 and others 1 and 500 children have this disorder. There is no known cause or cure. ***** There are services and therapies available, but I am only just beginning to learn all that now!

Take Care!
Jill

typinggurl65
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby A&J's Mom » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:31 am

Jill,
Thanks for the update. It sounds as though you've found all of the right clinics and doctors to begin helping your son progress at the best rate possible. Autism is such a draining disorder to a family, but you're going to learn so much from your son and he's going reward you with more than you ever thought possible. He's lucky to have you as his mommy and advocate. Stay strong and know that we'll be hear for support if you need it.
Shauna
A&J's Mom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ducky2possum » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:57 am

Hi...a little late posting, but I hope you get my message. My wonderful 9 year old son has autism. His first diagnosis was actually pdd-nos, but as he grew, it became clearer that he fit the criteria for teh autism diagnosis. I just wanted to tell you about Chandler, to give you some idea of how kids can do.
Chandler is in a mainstreamed 3rd grade classroom at school. He does have an aide and pull out time for resource. He receives OT and speech services through school, and up until recently private OT and speech. (Long story and he needs to go back to OT--sensory issues are so difficult to deal with!) Chandler has an IQ of between 68 and 72 (full scale) but we aren't sure if this is accurate. Most of his language issues are receptive now. When he was 3, he DID talk, but most of the speech was echolalia. I just didn't realize it until the developmental ped pointed it out. Anyway...back to Chandler. He is an awesome little guy who sees the world through different eyes than I do. Everything is very literal for him--BUT he has friends and seems happy. He doesn't realize he is different. He is just learning to read (finally--YIPPEEEE!) because symbols just didn't make sense to him. He is an ace at social studies, though! I wonder what the future holds for him, but at this point, I really think he will get married (he is already talking about that), have a family, and be able to hold some type of job. We are fortunate in that he is not on the lower end of the spectrum--but even being a bit higher functioning has its' pitfalls--people expect so much out of him because he looks normal! And to hear him just chat, you would think he is just a self centered little boy. (and pe3ople do guess him as much younger than his age.)
Please, ask any questions you wuold like...I would be glad to answer. I must mention I also teach special needs preschoolers...and see so much of this. :( Kind of sad the epidemic, isn't it?
Tracy, momma to Hannah,12, Chandler, 9, Dustin, 8, Cassidy (born Valentine's Day 2008)and wife to my soul mate, Darrin.
Cassidy Rose, 2-14-08, 7lbs7oz, 18 inches long
:hb: Our sweetest Valentine! :hb:
ducky2possum
Angel
Angel

Postby typinggurl65 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:12 am

ducky2possum:

Thanks so much for responding!

This does give me hope. It has taken about 9 months, but he can now put together just about any puzzle (the wooden ones with the pictures) and do the shape sorter blocks. He jabbers non-stop, of course most of it sounds like a foreign language. He too has a lot of echolacia speech. It is hard to know if he truly understands what the word actually means though. He will be going for a formal diagnostic evaluation in October with a pediatriac psychologist and pediatrian who both specialize in Autism and can formally give a diagnosis. He repeats the sequence of numbers 1 through 10. He will say "4", and I will say "5", then he will say "6." He learned this on his own with a play phone that would light up and say the numbers. He would play with it for hours.

Thanks Again!!
Jill

typinggurl65
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby PixieB » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:44 am

Whilst I haven't had a child with autism myself, I've had some experiences with it. I used to tutor a boy with autism Charlie. He was fabulous. He got very excited about trains, and was very talkative (at least with me, not so much with other children). He was a bit behind in some school studies, but I think that was more because the school pattern didn't fit with his personal pattern. If asked something about trains he'd be instantly involved in a conversation, if asked about maths or english then he'd get bored and drag his feet (isn't that true of most children though?). He'd sometimes tell me about his friends at school, so he wasn't completely a-social either. Overall a vibrant and happy little boy.

Secondly, my partner has very recently been diagnosed with aspergers and it's the first diagnosis that has really fit with so many of his symptoms. As a baby he pretty much screamed until he worked out how to crawl. He's amazingly intelligent but takes things very literally and will often stumble over social interactions because he doesn't necessarily register that someone might balk at what he's saying (mostly with taking conversations too far in one direction). He has two degrees, Engineering and Physics, we've just had a baby girl and we're intending on spending the rest of our lives together.

There are some scary statistics about people with autism and aspergers not being able to hold down full time jobs, but there are plenty of ways to adapt around those issues. Funnily enough Mark has learned a lot of social cues through roleplaying (like D&D, though not quite).

It's tough, but you will get there. Congratulations on getting an early diagnosis though, it gives you a framework to work with and a clear reason for the troubles you go through, something that can help others understand what sorts of struggles he has rather than dismissing it out of hand.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mamalynn » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:44 am

typinggurl- sorry i just don't check in enough to keep up. i am glad to see you are getting some answers! wtg on the counting stephen! how is eric doing? 4 months already???
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Special Needs Babies