Right aortic arch, single umbillical artery & DS?

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Right aortic arch, single umbillical artery & DS?

Postby ambien » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:35 am

I had my detailed 20wk scan today and one of my twins was diagnosed with right aortic arch, a single umbillical artery and a possibility of a short right last finger. That made me panic, and then the doctor said normal or DS babies are both susceptible to such problems. So he asked me to do an amnio to rule out DS.

I had a 1 in 50 chance of DS twins in my first trimester scan but I didn't want to go for the amnio as the NT scans were fine and it was only the papp-a value in the blood test that was screwy. So with these two findings, the doc thinks I should really do an amnio to rule out chromosomal problems. I am undecided as the amnio doesn't find out if the heart problem might be something worse.

I have to make a decision asap and am very depressed and uncertain as to what I should do. If it's positive and I decide to abort that twin, I might just end up losing both :(
Married 2 Oct 2005.
TTC since Jun 2007.
DH has low sperm count and quality.
I have PCO but should be fine (according to doctors).
3-4 failed IUIs.
IVF #1.

ER 3 Aug.
ET 5 Aug.
BFP 20 Aug!!!
U/S 9 Sep - Twins!!!

11 Apr 2011 - gave birth to 2 gorgeous baby girls - my little miracles! Thank you God!
ambien

Postby Cindy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:12 pm

I say do the amnio. Then you`ll have a better idea of what you should be prepared for in the long run, and the doctors will be better prepared at birth for any help or issues that could arise giving your babies the best chance of a great life
Cindy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ambien » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Apparently the amnio is just to check for a down syndrome child. They can't check heart problems. So the check is for our benefit not theirs. Oh and to give me the option of abortion before 24wks...which I couldn't possibly bear to think about as well.
Married 2 Oct 2005.
TTC since Jun 2007.
3-4 failed IUIs.
IVF #1.

ER 3 Aug.
ET 5 Aug.
BFP 20 Aug!!!
U/S 9 Sep - Twins!!!

11 Apr 2011 - gave birth to 2 gorgeous baby girls - my little miracles! Thank you God!
ambien

Postby Belle2625 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:50 pm

i think it depends on what you would do with the information... and if you can live without knowing.

as the mother of a special needs baby, i remember how devastating it was to get that news. its heartbreaking... and It took a lot of time to process. I think it might help you to prepare, if god forbid, one twin does have DS, to accept that condition before birth. or to terminate that fetus, (thats an impossible decision only you can make, and that you need to listen to your heart about)

But personally, I would want to know one way or another and be at peace on delivery day... rather than waiting for the sky to come falling down.

best of luck momma, my heart goes out to you.
Richale-33 momma to:
Emelyn - Anencephaly, born still @ 20 weeks
KJ - Born 23 weeks, our angel 1/5/09-5/19/2012
Annslee Belle 2.5 yrs- Born 34 weeks 2 days.
Maeve Josephine - born 7/18/14 at 36 weeks
Belle2625
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ambien » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:35 pm

Guess what? I went to another gynae who does fetal monitoring as well and is much older and more experiences. Knowing our concerns he scanned and checked everything in detail and couldn't find anything that looked out of the norm. The defects I mention he said he couldn't see at all and both babies appear healthy. How did the tech person at the hospital centre see what she saw then?!

I decided if something really unforseen happens I'd accept it because I couldn't bear the abortion anyway.
Married 2 Oct 2005.
TTC since Jun 2007.
3-4 failed IUIs.
IVF #1.

ER 3 Aug.
ET 5 Aug.
BFP 20 Aug!!!
U/S 9 Sep - Twins!!!

ambien

Return to Special Needs Babies