a little perspective (x-posted)

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

a little perspective (x-posted)

Postby mamalynn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

something i was a part of the other day that has given me perspective in regards to pj's learning & development. every quarter pj's school has a parent workshop in the areas of speech, OT, APE, ABA, etc. all the workshops are very informative. there are pamphlets, powerpoint presentations, anecdotal stories----you get the point. this last one i expected to be the same, boy was i wrong!

i kind of really never read the flyer because i had only recieved it the day before and since i suck at checking pj's backpack every night...i really only saw it the day of. the speaker introduces herself and her 11 year old son, who happens to be there. she tells her/his story...he interupts within a few sentences, saying "i've never heard my story before." it looks as though he is not sure how to feel, but it definitely is not embarrassment. he just sits quietly and listens. somehow, that very moment was so beautiful to me. in the early years of his life, he was diagnosed with autism. that diagnosis is no longer valid...but that is not my story to tell or what this thread is about.

so she tells us this and throws her bomb out there..."get out of your seats every one, you are going to be a participant in this workshop." whoa, the look on everyone's faces was priceless! now, previous workshops there is typically a Q&A session, not here...the exercises she led us through were designed to answer our own questions. how freakin ingenius is that?! the topic was how to play with your child and she used improvisational games to show us a) how to play with our children and b) how it feels to be the child.

here is the perspective bit----even though i felt safe with this person, the faciltator, i was still uncomfortable, unsure of what would happen next and distracted by my own thoughts of what i tried to anticipate. i am an adult, i have years of experience in most situations. not even that could help me relax and go with the flow. the point is, we ask that of our children, young as they are, every day. especially our children with special needs, where things that are new and sometimes routine are difficult on a daily basis.

anyways, sorry this became long and detracted a little----but i wanted to share it. let your child lead, you facilitate and fill in the blanks as needed.
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies