Question about reflux

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Question about reflux

Postby f419t » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi, I have 7 month old twin girls, have been on this site for a couple years, just don't ever post. I have a few questions, and I'm not sure where to put them, so here goes:

One of my girls has been fighting fevers on and off since June. She supposedly had 2 ear infections, but the antibiotics given to her for those never really fixed anything. Finally, I insisted that they check for a UTI, and she had one. Ok...so she took the antibiotic for that, but a week or so later her fever was back. Urine sample at that time grew some bacteria they said, but was not typical of a UTI. A couple weeks later, same thing. She was referred to a Urologist because they said it was switched to if a child gets one UTI under the age of four, they refer them. So, we went to the Urologist, and she scheduled us for ultrasounds on her kidneys and the catheter thing (can't remember the name), we had that done on Monday, and she was found to have reflux on both sides, one side a grade 2 and the other a grade 3.

On Sunday, the fever started again, so I took in a urine sample Monday afternoon, and that came back fine again. She is still having the fevers and I took her in again today, so they want me to bring in another urine sample tomorrow morning. If that also comes back fine, they said they will do a full fever work up. I guess I don't understand, and we haven't met with the urologist again since the ultrasound so can't ask her yet, but if she has reflux on both sides, why has she only had one for sure UTI?

Also, does anyone have any ideas what could be going on with her? Any advice would be great, or ideas on what to ask the doctors about to have them check. I feel so bad for her, she has been sick on and off for over three months, and she tries so hard to be happy. It breaks my heart that she has to deal with this, and I don't feel like I am really getting anywhere with the doctors...like they just don't care and it is driving me nuts!

Sorry this is all over the place, just so upset/frustrated that we can't find out what is going on with her. Any ideas? Any info about reflux? TIA
f419t
Friend

Postby GreekMythFreak » Tue May 01, 2012 1:20 am

I am sorry no one has posted before this and hope she is doing better. Do you mean she has Vesicoureteral Reflux? from your title I thought you meant the stomach reflux. I have not personally dealt with VUR, but it sounds like she has it. They say VUR is more common in infants and young children, so hopefully she'll grow out of it, depending on which type she has and how severe.

Newborns may be lethargic with faltering growth, while infants and young children typically present with fever, painful urination, frequent urination, malodorous urine and GIT symptoms. Secondary VUR is due to a urinary tract malfunction, often caused by infection, resulting in bilateral reflux.

Secondary VUR is treated by removing the blockage causing the reflux. Treatment may involve surgery, antibiotics, intermittent catheterization—draining the bladder by inserting a thin tube, called a catheter, through the urethra to the bladder

I hope she's doing better.
Robin (31)
DH - P (32)
DS - D (4.5)
DD - W (3)
DS - W (3)

GreekMythFreak
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Question about reflux

Postby lalalindsayy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:32 am

My daughter has VUR. She was hospitalized for 2 weeks for a UTI when she was 6 months old and that's when we found out about it. She is now 6 years old. She had to be put on an antibiotic until she was completely potty trained to prevent future UTI's. When she was about 2 years old, we found out that one of her kidney's is only working 30%. We go for check up's once a year, but other than that she's doing really well. She's not on any medication or anything for it.
lalalindsayy
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Special Needs Babies