1 in 6 chance of Down's Syndrome - blood test

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

1 in 6 chance of Down's Syndrome - blood test

Postby littlemissblue » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi,

I am posting for my sister in law, she is 18 weeks pregnant and had a normal (1.34mm) nuchal translucency scan, but has just got her blood test results back and has been told she has a 1 in 6 chance of the baby having down syndrome.

She had a similar thing happen with her daughter and she doesn't have Down's syndrome, so she is hoping this little one will be ok too, but wondered if anyone has heard about this happening before?

She is only 31 and healthy, not even the doctor understands why she has got this result!
Frances (29) :hb: Martin (29 )
IVF/ICSI#1: Aug 09
14.9.09::bfp:!!!
Oliver David born 30.5.10 7lbs 9oz

littlemissblue
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ASPbaby » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 am

Hi,
I know from this past weeks personal experience that she is totally freaked, we got a 1:10! There is a new test out and I am starting to wonder why they are doing the NT screening because it gives these high risk results and they apparently are wrong in many cases. They messed up on ours, please read my story, I posted it last night on another thread.
http://www.twoweekwait.com/preg/communi ... c&t=216507

I have to imagine that she is about as far along as myself if you private message me I will give you my email and she can contact me directly.This way she can have some support from some else going through the same thing.
If not tell her she is in my prayers and thoughts.
Alyssa 42 and Jay 40
Our boys:
Paul 19, Brandon 18, Justin 15
Expecting our girl Cara Jaye EDD 6/16/12
Furbabies:
Jazmine,Sophia,Boss, Emma

TTCed from 05-08, doctors said no way with my eggs
Surprise BFP 11/23/11
ASPbaby
Friend

Postby klbrown79 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:25 pm

I had a 1 in 160 chance of a baby with downs and when my amnio came back I ended up having a boy with klineflelters syndrome. I got this result because of a protein in my blood they think. I have had this result with my two other daughters and this one actually had Klinefelters instead of downs. I hope it turns out okay!
klbrown79
Angel
Angel

Return to Special Needs Babies