Fluid build up behind neck

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Fluid build up behind neck

Postby Ruby727 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:13 am

So i went for my 20 wk A/scan..and i was thinking i was going to be in and out and she will be healthy. I was wrong..kinda. I mean she's healthy..healthy heart, kidneys perfect brain BUT they found some fluid built up on the back of her neck. They said it could be a SLIM possibility that she could have Down Syndrome but they honestly don't think that will happen cause she's healthy everywhere else and my blood test came back perfect. Now i'm worried if they crossed Down Syndrome off the list..what else could this be? what could be causing this extra fluid? Of course for the time being till my next obgyn appt i'm researching Dr. Google..and its making it worse i need to stop it now. The genetics counselor didn't think a follow-up was on the agenda anytime soon. But i will ask my obgyn IF there is a possiblilty we can keep an eye on the fluid and see if it goes down? Her fluid measurement is 6.2mm when the cut off is 6.0 mm. I think they aren't worried because it's only .2mm over. But i'm worried...I wonder if the tech measured it wrong? I'm so stressed..I think about this all day long. I just want answers. At least i have a Dr. Appt tomorrow in the morning (thank god!)..I just need some re-assurance everything will be fine.
Ruby727
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Lizc0002 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:40 am

I remember the feeling of waiting and not knowing. My son had enlarged brain ventricles, I think the cut off is 10 or 11 and he was about .2 over on one side and slightly higher on the other but had no other markers for any syndrome or any indication anything else was wrong like your situation. My advice, talk it over with your OB. The perinatologist who did the scan was pretty gloomy whereas my OB assurred me they do see these type of measurements frequently and all is usually fine.

I think the perinatologists tend to have a gloomy outlook from working all the time with high risk pregnancies where often outcome is bad.

Hugs,hope you get some good reassuring news soon. My son BTW is 100% fine.

Liz
Lizc0002
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jaggers » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:54 pm

Measurements could be off, but maybe in your favor! Even with a higher than normal fluid risk of downs is not usually very high.
DD1 9/2006
M/C @ 7 weeks
DS1 2/2013
EDD 9/12/2015

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Jaggers
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies