Moderate hearing loss (right ear) in 12 month old

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Moderate hearing loss (right ear) in 12 month old

Postby LaraE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:19 am

Hello. My daughter was born with hearing loss in her right ear only (left ear has normal hearing). Started when she failed the newborn screen at the hospital. After some consultations and finally a BAER test, she was recently diagnosed with Moderate HL in her right ear. I have an appt for her to get a hearing aid for that ear (it attaches to a headband and sits behind her ear) as well as referral to birth-3 program for speech/language evaluation. Luckily, so far her speech and language development appears ok, she has more than normal # of words that she uses.

Anyone familiar with this type of diagnosis? My concern is that it doesnt get worse as time goes on, and that her speech continues to develop at a normal rate. I'm also worried about getting her to keep the headband/hearing aid on since she won't even let me put a barrette or headband on her.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Moderate hearing loss (right ear) in 12 month old

Postby ladymclemore » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 am

Hello!
I am currently studying to become a certified deaf educator and have taken numerous courses in audiology, speech pathology and deaf education. The only thing I can suggest is continue to monitor your child's progress with speech and listening skills. Being hard of hearing in one ear really shouldn't affect your child as much as you might think, but you will need to watch the other ear for signs that she is losing hearing in that ear. She will need to protect her hearing as she grows (wear ear plugs if noise is too loud, avoid concerts, don't listen to music too loud especially with ear buds) in order to protect her residual hearing in her right ear. Once the tiny hairs inside the ear canal are damaged, you can't get them back.
Good luck! I hope everything continues to progress for her :-)
ladymclemore

Postby Kryssy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:59 am

I don't personally have a child with hearing loss but have taught many. As a result i can not offer any advice on getting her keep the hearing aid on. The children I have taught with one side hearing loss, have not had problems with speech or communicating. Of course keep an eye on it but, they seem adapt very well. It might be awkward for her to use the hearing aid. I know one, highly intelligent, little girl I taught with hearing loss hated hers. She said that she basically ignored that ear, so having a hearing aid on it drove her nuts, as it was harder to ignore. Lol
Me: Kryssy 32
DH: 28
DS: Born Dec. 27, 2010
DS: Born Aug. 30, 2012
DD: Born Dec. 12, 2013
5 Angels.

ImageImage
Kryssy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crysann4 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:41 pm

My oldest son was born with unilateral right side microtia and atresia. He doesn't have an ear canal at all on the right side and the ear is misformed. He has severe hearing loss in that ear, with normal hearing in the left side. His speech has not been affected. When he gets an ear infection in the left ear, he cannot hear very well at all. He uses an FM system (microphone system) in school - basically, his teacher wears a mic and he's got speakers on his desk. We protect his hearing, etc. It is mostly noticeable with directional hearing (soccer was very difficult for him at first - the coach would yell 'this way' or some other ambiguous direction and he was spinning around in circles trying to find which way he was talking about).

He's been offered a cochlear implant, but doesn't want it... And he's doing just fine. He's doing well in school and is a happy well adjusted 11 year old. The biggest thing I have to watch for is him turning his good ear into his arm when he doesn't want to listen to me. ;)
Crystal (34) :love: Eric (30)
:babyb: Brennen (14) 02/07/02
:babyb: Jorran (12) 08/04/04
:babyg: Carys (10) 02/13/06
:babyb: Everett (8) 04/23/08
:babyb: Asher Jakob (4) 02/22/12
crysann4
Addicted
Addicted

Postby noellerichmond » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 am

Though so many kids have inborn disabilities in some body parts, they can lead a normal life. Just don't let them know that they have something different in their body than other kids.
Kids can be entertained by letting them participate in various activities like this
noellerichmond

Postby mritnire » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Hope she is adjusting well to the HA now.

One of my twins has bilateral auditory neuropathy and (luckily) is doing well with her HA. I know someday's are harder then others, and she picks at them more. But most of the time I find she prefers to keep them in because she hears better with them. She also only has Mild-Moderate HL, but with her condition it can fluctuate greatly and she is legally deaf.

I know that some bonnets exist that have mesh over the ears that are considered really good by audiologists.
Me(Erin): 29 DH: 30 DS:5
Blog: http://hitachiin1.blogspot.ca/

TTC#2 from Sep 2009

BFP July 24, 2011
EDD April 2, 2012
Gwen & Avery Born at 25 weeks 2 days - Dec 21, 2011

mritnire
Angel
Angel

Postby BBee » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Lara,

How is she doing?
Me:31 DH:33
TTC#1 since Jan 2009
DX: Unexplained Infertility
2nd IUI with 50mg Clomid :bfp: @ 10DPIUI
DS Born 11/15/11 ~ 8lbs 2oz 22"

TTC#2 since May 2012
DX: Male Factor
IUI #1 w/Ovidrel :bfn:
IUI #2 w/50mg Clomid & Ovidrel (3 follies) = :bfn:
IUI #3 w/Gonal,Ovidrel,Prometrium (at least 5 mature)= :bfn:

No longer TTC, Focusing on our Special Needs Son :hb:
BBee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:00 am

Hi Bbee! Abby is doing great. She didnt wear the hearing aid much because she wouldnt keep it on lol. Her functional hearing is fine, she relies a lot on her left ear we suspect. Her language development is above average so we're happy about that. She still needs to have a CT scan to take a look at how her inner ear is actually structured and make sure its normal, she has atresia (closed off ear canal) so they cant really see inside without doing a CT scan. We just moved out to the boonies (U.P. of Michigan) so i need to find a pediatric ENT closer to where we live now.

Thanks for asking!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies