Bilateral club feet?

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby lizzen » Fri May 23, 2008 6:51 am

Aggie, speaking as the mom of an 18 month old club-footer, I can tell you that it really DOES become just a hazy memory. My son, Zade, is perpetual motion, he never ever stops! He runs everywhere, he's taking swimming lessons, he climbs all over everything. You would never know there was ever a problem with his feet. People don't believe it when I tell them. He wears them at night only now and it's just part of the routine like anything else. Congratulations!

manynums, that's awesome that you're so close to both Dr. Ponsetti and Dr. Dobbs. My son sees Dr. Albright who also studied with Dr. Ponsetti at U of I and he travels to China twice a year with Dr. Dobbs to teach the method there. You're very fortunate to be so close to two fabulous doctors. Congratulations to you as well!

I just found out today that I'm pregnant again (HUGE surprise, we weren't trying) so you'd better believe I'll be checking out the feet when we get our ultrasound!

Liz
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Fri May 23, 2008 12:24 pm

Yeah I'm waiting for my 20wk U/S to check my baby's feet too... hope everything turns out ok *crosses fingers*
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:28 pm

lizzen wrote:I just found out today that I'm pregnant again (HUGE surprise, we weren't trying) so you'd better believe I'll be checking out the feet when we get our ultrasound!

Liz

Congratulations!!!

Alex has 7 more weeks to go of wearing his braces 23 hours a day and I am counting down the days till he only has to wear them while sleeping. I can't wait to see his little bare feet more often! Yesterday he finally "found" his toes! Poor little guy - he only sees them twice a day! But he's such a trooper and is doing great with them. Every time we go to our monthly appts the dr says they look great. So far so good!

Hope everyone has a great and safe holiday weekend!
ImageImage

Me (33); DH (35); DSD (7)
BFP on (cd23) 11 dpo - Father's Day!!!
10/17 It's a BOY!! :)
2/12/08 - Born 9:06 pm, 7 lbs 2 oz, 18 in
Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby montemn1 » Sun May 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Aggie-It is totally true when he is out of the shoes all day and just at night you will think it was all worth it.

My son is 18months old and it seems like a distant memory with all the tears and the why's? Now since he is up and running around it makes it all worth it. Congrats on being 1/2 out of the shoes all day!

Lizzen-congrats to you too!
Me: Jennifer, 31 DH: Adam, 31
DS#1: Noah James born: 12/7/06
DS#2: Logan John born: 6/30/09

montemn1
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby manynums » Mon May 26, 2008 9:00 am

Lizzen - congrats, girl! Wonderful news! Yes, good doctors make all the difference.

Dr. Dobbs had been in to see us (we're still in the NICU for a few more days) and we think she'll get her first casts this week before we go home. I hope they can do pink ones...it seems like everything she owns is pink, lol! We have a 6-year-old son and people went gaga with the pink when they found out she was a girl.
Breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering WOHM. Married to my HS sweetheart & best friend. Proud mama to my two chicklets.

Image Image
manynums
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:22 am

Have any of y'all ever heard/found any research on the odds of a second child having club feet, if the first one has it? I've not yet but my dr did mention that if you have one with it that your chances increase of having future children with it.
We are leaning toward not having any more, mainly because of my diabetes, but just in case, I was curious.
I wish we could also find answers on what causes it. I know it can be the positioning of the baby in the womb or more than likely a freak genetic thing - but it's just weird. Nobody on either side of our families have had it - so who knows? At least he's being corrected and he'll be perfectly fine and he won't remember a thing!
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Tue May 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Aggie, I'll dig around for the info I got when I was pregnant, but as I remember, the increased chances were very small, I want to say somewhere around 3%. I believe especially when it's unilateral CF as opposed to BCF, it's generally considered to be idiopathic in nature so it's not likely to occur again. There's a woman on my CF support group who has three boys all of whom have CF. But they're all BCF.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:20 pm

lizzen wrote:Aggie, I'll dig around for the info I got when I was pregnant, but as I remember, the increased chances were very small, I want to say somewhere around 3%. I believe especially when it's unilateral CF as opposed to BCF, it's generally considered to be idiopathic in nature so it's not likely to occur again. There's a woman on my CF support group who has three boys all of whom have CF. But they're all BCF.

Thanks! Alex was born with BCF. 3% is a pretty small number...
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby stuckunderhere » Tue May 27, 2008 12:32 pm

So, is it a genetic/hereditary thing? I'm just so worried my kid will have CF too. Because Moe did and so did his father...
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lizzen » Tue May 27, 2008 12:39 pm

The chances of having a baby with CF do go up if one or more of their parents had CF. More so than if they just have a sibling with CF. I'm not sure of the exact stats because it didn't run in our family so I didn't pay close attention. I'll see if I can find that also, though.

Even if your LO does have CF, it won't be anything like your husband's experience of being in the hospital for months. It all sounds very overwhelming before you go through it, but all in all, it wasn't that bad.

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Here's another quick question... once the babies are out of their casts/braces - are they able to wear normal shoes? Or do you find that you have to get special shoes?
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Tue May 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Some kids with unilateral clubfoot will have one foot smaller than the other so sometimes parents have to get creative there, but generally speaking they can wear just about any shoe. Zade wears his brother's hand-me downs, Crocs, sandals, we've had no problems.

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Tue May 27, 2008 1:00 pm

Found a better pic. But this was like 22yrs ago. And I know they can "fix" it a lot better than back then, but I still have some worries because I see how Moe walks now and he's got issues (then again, he still needs 1 more op which he doesnt want to do because of the therapy that would need to be done afterwards, but still). I tease him because I say he walks like a penguin but he knows I dont mean anything mean by it. Anyway, all that just to say that I hope that if my son/daughter turns out to have CF, then I want things to be easier than what I keep hearing Moe tell me he's gone through. It just sounds so horrible.
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Here's a few pictures of Alex...

On the day he was born (really shows his BCF)

His first day in casts

His first day in braces
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Tue May 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Sounds like he had non-Ponseti (surgical) treatment. That's a far more, invasive, painful method and has the potential for life-long problems with scar tissue, etc. The Ponseti method has been around for over 50 years and has been shown to be the most effective form of CF treatment. There is no surgery other than a heel cord release once the casting phase is over. And even that is an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. With the right treatment, there's absolutely NO reason why your LO would ever need to go through what his dad went through.

Also, I had to laugh when you said he "walks like a penguin" because "Happy Feet" came out right around the time DS was born it totally made me think of my little boy.

Oh, unilateral is one clubfoot, bilateral is two clubfeet. I usually abbreviate BCF or LCF (left club foot), etc., sorry about that! I forget it's not something people see everyday! :D

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs Babies