Bilateral club feet?

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby stuckunderhere » Tue May 27, 2008 1:25 pm

That is really good to hear.
I guess in Chile 20yrs ago, things werent as advanced medically. So I feel a bit better now. Thanks *hugs* :)

Haha, I watched Happy Feet and totally thought of him too.
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lizzen » Tue May 27, 2008 1:34 pm

You're welcome! The irony is that the Ponseti method is FAR cheaper and kinder than surgical correction and yet a lot of doctors still use it even now! Thank goodness for the internet or I never would have known!!

Aggie, those pics are so cute, you forget how curled up those little feet are in the beginning! It looks in the picture like he's wearing reverse last Markells? Zade's shoes are just like that but the buckles go on the outside. We also have the purple brace, I love it because it's so easy to work with when changing diapers, etc. That brace has only been less than two years, prior to that the shoes didn't come off the bar and you had to remove everything in order to change a diaper. Either that or everything had to have snaps.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Tue May 27, 2008 1:40 pm

lizzen wrote:Thank goodness for the internet or I never would have known!!

Exactly! Thats why I like this board. I learn everything I need to know all with the click of a button LOL
Last edited by stuckunderhere on Tue May 27, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:41 pm

We don't have any problems with diapers - only when he wears shorts that don't snap. And we typically just put him in onesies anyway. But it's not a big deal, because I just take the bar off, put his legs through and put the bar back on. He is oblivious at this point. He used to scream bloody murder every time we put them on (twice a day) but now he just lays there and smiles. Poor little guy - he has no idea that life can be so much better! :) But in just a few weeks he'll be loving life when he'll wake up in the morning and we take them off and don't put them back on till naptime!
ImageImage

Me (33); DH (35); DSD (7)
BFP on (cd23) 11 dpo - Father's Day!!!
10/17 It's a BOY!! :)
2/12/08 - Born 9:06 pm, 7 lbs 2 oz, 18 in
Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Jlyn » Thu May 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Hey there! I didn't read through all the posts. But I just wanted to reassure you a bit. I had club feet like you describe and I am A-OK. I think they basically broke both legs and put them in casts. You may get some weird looks from some people who will wonder why your baby has casts on, but there were NO long term effects for me! You would never know by looking at my legs that anything had happened.
DD1 2.5 years old - 7/14/08
(3 prior m/cs)
Baby #2 due 8/22/11

Jlyn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:10 pm

I've been reading up on it a lot lately. I'm so scared my little Sam will be born with club feet. I mean, like I mentioned before Moises had it pretty bad and its still not corrected 100%. He still has major issues with walking and muscle strength. And I found out a few days ago that his father had club foot too. Now I asked the tech during the u/s if his little feet looked okay, but she didnt know what I was talking about when I said club foot. So I'm all worried for Sam. Can it be detected in the womb or is it an after birth thing?
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:12 pm

It can definitely be detected with an u/s. I was 17 weeks along when we found out that Alex had club foot. I suppose if the baby was positioned strangely that it might be hard to see it, but for the most part if the tech knows what they're doing, they should be able to see if your baby has it.

Good luck with your pregnancy!
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby stuckunderhere » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks. I guess now I have to wait til November to find out for sure. Ahh more time to worry, how fun! :roll:
I would so go to a 3D u/s but we dont have the money for it.
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:17 pm

I had routine u/s due to me being diabetic but they were just 2D and it was clear as day that his feet were turned in.

stuckunderhere wrote:Thanks. I guess now I have to wait til November to find out for sure. Ahh more time to worry, how fun! :roll:
I would so go to a 3D u/s but we dont have the money for it.
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:56 pm

That's really unsettling that your US tech didn't know what clubfoot was. That's US 101 kind of thing. We saw the CF at our 22 week US. It was also right around this time in July. DS was born Nov 2.

As the pregnancy progressed it got harder to see it because there was less space. It can't hurt to ask your OB about it at your next visit. Just mention that there's a strong family history on dad's side and that the US tech didn't know what you were talking about. Maybe he'd do a quick in office US for you.

At any rate, even if your LO does have CF, just remember it's not nearly as scary as it seems right now. The good thing is, you're already learning about it now, so if he does have it you're ahead of the game. Find a good Ponseti-certified doctor and you'll be good to go. It'll be OK!! :D
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:59 pm

Lizzen - are you on the yahoo club for cf? I joined it a month or so ago, finally.
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:04 pm

Good for you! Yeah, I'm on it, too, although I don't really post to it anymore. We've had zero issues with his treatment for so long now that I sometimes forget to read the digests. Plus my kids keep me too darn busy! But it's a great resource, I was so glad to find it when I was pregnant, those moms know everything about CF!!

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:06 pm

lizzen - My OB doesnt have access to U/S stuff. In Quebec we have to go to the hospital for that. But I will definitely talk to her about it anyway.
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Refresh my memory, please.. was it your youngest that had cf? Is he still in the braces, I assume? We are down to 15 hrs/day and it's wonderful. Those few extra hours make all the diference in the world, and his little feet are looking fantastic!

lizzen wrote:Good for you! Yeah, I'm on it, too, although I don't really post to it anymore. We've had zero issues with his treatment for so long now that I sometimes forget to read the digests. Plus my kids keep me too darn busy! But it's a great resource, I was so glad to find it when I was pregnant, those moms know everything about CF!!
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Yes, my youngest is the one with CF, though you sure couldn't tell by the way he runs everywhere and climbs everything. He's still in the brace at night so he gets about 12 hours. It is so great when they start getting out of their brace for nice long stretches. Such freedom! We've missed a few nights here lately, DS stepped on a cactus a few days ago and his foot was too tender to put the shoes on. But we're back on track now. Not sure how long he'll have to wear it. We go back when he turns two so maybe we'll find out then.

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs Babies