Bilateral club feet?

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby Aggie97 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Which FAB is he in? We are using Markell and they are working great. We've had a couple of issues with blisters on his right heel and they think it's from slipping but other than that he's doing great in them. I loved being able to give him a bath once those stupid casts came off, and just holding him he feels so much lighter!
ImageImage

Me (33); DH (35); DSD (7)
BFP on (cd23) 11 dpo - Father's Day!!!
10/17 It's a BOY!! :)
2/12/08 - Born 9:06 pm, 7 lbs 2 oz, 18 in
Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:22 pm

Oh, I remember how much easier it felt to hold him once the casts came off! I just loved it! He's in the Markells with a Horton Click FAB (the purple brace). We had a blister here and there in the beginning but once we got the hang of how tight to do the buckles he was fine.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:hb: Mommy to my three boys!!! :hb:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 pm

We're in the purple bar, too, but I didn't know it was called Horton - good to know! :)

How old is your LO and how much longer does have?

Which dr do you work with? We are in Dallas so we go to Scottish Rite and they've been wonderful so far. (and it's free)
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:34 pm

Oh, you're so lucky to be with Scottish Rite. We see Dr. Albright in Orlando at Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital. He's wonderful, can't say enough about him. He studied with Dr. Ponseti himself so I feel really lucky to have him as our doctor.

Zade is 20 months old, we go back when he turns two so maybe we'll find out then how long he's got. I've heard a lot of moms on the yahoo group say that the recommendation is now four years old! I can't imagine wrestling him into them for that long. My understanding from Dr. Albright is that his is a fairly mild case and he's been really pleased with is progress so far. So I'm kind of hoping he'll say we can stop at 2 or 2 1/2.
The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:42 pm

That'd be great. Can you imagine seeing him sleep with bare feet or just socks? I think that every night when Alex is sleeping. It doesn't seem to bother him at all, but it bothers me more than him. Here's a picture of how I find him asleep a lot of times. Silly boy. :)

ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Oh how cute!! It's so funny to see the bar so tiny, Zade's in a big wide one now. His favorite position now seems to be on his tummy, butt in the air. He also likes to throw the brace up against the side of his crib and lean it there. It looks so uncomfortable but he sleeps fine!

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Alex has dinged up his crib pretty bad as well as his changing table, when those legs get to flying. :) But it's all good. It could be a whole lot worse! :)

I guess your changes are what, about 3% for your bun in the oven to also have cf? My OB had said that it's a 1-3% for 2nd child and it increases to 10% after that. At least it's something completely correctable, though!
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:27 pm

stuckunderhere wrote:lizzen - My OB doesnt have access to U/S stuff. In Quebec we have to go to the hospital for that. But I will definitely talk to her about it anyway.

Well, if nothing else perhaps she could take a look at the scan you had done or even better refer you for another! Who doesn't love a chance for another look at baby!

Aggie, I think the stat is somewhere around 3%. I think though, that a unilateral CF has even less a chance of occurring the next time around than if it's bilateral because it tends to be just a fluke. I could be wrong, though, wouldn't be the first time!

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stuckunderhere » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Thats a good idea. I'll talk to her about it at my next appt. on August 12th
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lizzen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:00 pm

Aggie, just thought I'd pop on and let you know I had a brief discussion with Dr. Albright today. My older son broke his wrist last night so we were in his office to get him casted. I asked him how long Zade would have to wear the brace, he said standard protocol is now until the 4th birthday! :? :roll:

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:41 am

Ah, man.. But I'm not surprised, unfortunately. I guess by the time we get to 2 yrs when we originally thought we'd be finished, then what's 2 more yrs? Of course I say that now, because Alex is only 5 months old.. I might not say that when he turns 2.

Hope you're older son feels better soon!

lizzen wrote:Aggie, just thought I'd pop on and let you know I had a brief discussion with Dr. Albright today. My older son broke his wrist last night so we were in his office to get him casted. I asked him how long Zade would have to wear the brace, he said standard protocol is now until the 4th birthday! :? :roll:
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:06 am

Yeah, it's really not that I mind putting them on him every night, it's that he's getting stronger everyday and fights me over it! Some nights DH has to hold him down while I put the shoes on. He kicked me in the head a few weeks ago with the knob on the bottom of the shoe...OUCH! I had such a goose egg after that!

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:15 am

Yea I hear ya.. Sometimes I'll lay Alex on the bed while I get him dressed in the mornings and he'll start kicking and he'll kick me right in the stomach with that knob - ouch!

Can I ask what you did/do for childcare? Alex has been able to stay home with my mom after I went back to work (after 8 wks) and I was comfortable with that, because she was familiar with the shoes issues. But due to health reasons, my mom's not going to be able to keep him full-time anymore so I had to enroll him in daycare (startin at just 3 days/wk) and I'm going to leave the shoes on him when I drop him off and ask them to take them off midmorning, so he gets his hours in and they don't have to put them on or take them off, and risk them doing it wrong. I suppose that's ok, right? He doesn't mind being in them, but I know that will get trickier the older he gets and the more mobile he becomes.
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby lizzen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:32 am

We've been very fortunate this time around, I've been able to stay home with him so it hasn't been an issue. But I know a lot of CF moms do what you're planning, they leave them on when they drop them off at daycare and tell them to take them off at a certain time. I'd much rather do that than risk having them put them on wrong. Or worse than that, just skipping it because they don't want to deal with it.

And it's really not going to become an issue as far as mobility goes until he's actually walking. He'll be able to crawl and even pull to a stand with the brace on. In fact, watching Zade crawl in the brace was so cute! He moved like a little alligator, his brace just swished back and forth behind him. And he could go FAST, too! It didn't slow him down a bit.

ImageImage
lizzen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aggie97 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 am

How old was Zade when he started crawling/walking? Alex has gotten his legs under him a few times but he doesn't quite know what to do from there. I have no doubt that once we put him in daycare it won't be too long- maybe another couple of months.
And he already loves to stand on my lap - even if he has his shoes on. Doesn't seem to bother him at all.
ImageImage

Aggie97
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs Babies