DD is 2wks old in the NICU.......

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby Jayn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 am

I work in an NICU and wanted to give you some encouragement. I know it's easy to blame yourself but you really shouldn't! For whatever reason, God decided that your baby needed out right then! My own twins were born a few weeks ago at 34 wks and were in the NICU for a week and it blew my mind how hard that was for me. . . it gave me a little bit of an idea of what NICU parents go through. It was such a physically and emotionally draining week. I'm glad things are going well for you and your baby. By the way- 23% oxygen is good! 21% is what we breathe and is considered room air so your baby is almost there!
DS 5
DS 2 1/2
M/C 1/07
DD and DS 1/08

Our twins are here!!
Born 1/16/08 at 34wks5days

ImageImage
Jayn
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby PixieB » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:46 am

I hope she recovers so well that the doctors are all surprised by her strength so you'll be able to boast that you always knew she's strong. And I hope she avoids infection in the recovery stages too because that seems to be one of the biggest risks.

Have you gotten your first kangaroo cuddles yet? I always loved kangaroo cuddles, feeling my tiny fluttery little imp resting against my skin. And I'm so glad she opened her eyes for you!

Good luck with the hospital transfer, and I hope the staff at your local SCN are really nice!
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommaSweets » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:52 am

Well I know it's been a while since I posted an update..... so here goes....

On my birthday(2/7) Evie had her PDA ligation( they clamped the opened ductus outside her heart) surgery ,which went very well. she recovered better than expected and was sent back "home"(the hospital I had her in). She starting getting feeds and was fed my breast milk. She has been opening her eyes a lot more and is back to her old sell pretty much( feisty and fighting the nurses). Last week Evie started having reflux and then she got an infection from the reflux being aspirated. Earlier this week Evie developed pneumonia from the infection but has since over come and is doing MUCH MUCH better. While she had the infection she was place back on the vent to breath for her(tube down her throat) Yesterday morning she pulled the tube out :jump: YEA!!! She was then put back on CPAP(nose prongs) w/ a Vent(machine breathing with her) after setting off the alarms b/c she was breathing against the machine she was placed on the Bubble CPAP ( breathing on her own) and has been doing well since even over night :jump: If things continue like this I should be able to hold Evie again and this time start our Kangaroo cars visits :jump: I'm so happy(and dead tired..started back to work Mon.)

Thanks so much for you prayers thoughts and well wishes they have meant a lot. :grouphug: :hb:

ETA: I do know for sure now that Evie knows when I'm there.. I'll call all day long to check up on her and she is quite/sleep. When I get there, she wakes up and (sometimes) constantly sets off her alarms :oops:
Sweets
*25*
:angel: 1.29.05@15wks
Evelyn Marleyah (due April 22, 2008) was born early@25 wks ~January 11th, 2008!!!
ImageImage
MommaSweets
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby mamalynn » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:32 am

so glad to hear that the surgery went well. i have nothing but positive thoughts for you and your family! btw, happy belated bday!
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommaSweets » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:58 pm

Another Update!!!!

This is from Monday:
When I called to check in on Evie I was told that, as of 11 am Evie has been breathing completely on her own, with no CPAP at all :happyforyou:
The doctors have decided to trial her off for as long as she can tolerate it then put her back on to recoup. :mrgreen: & she is getting her feeds(breast milk) again along with her fluids. So far our Kangaroo care sessions seem to be helping as I held her for 2 hours yesterday and after our session she went from being on the CPAP w/ a rate(vent) to the Bubble CPAP(blowing bubbles in water)
I so can't wait til I get off work so I can go see her I bet once I get there she'll be sleep and back on the CPAP :roll: but it's still so great that she is breathing w/o help. :jump:

Later that day:
And it looks like miss Evie is ready to be on the road to coming home. She has been breathing on her own for more than 12 hours and even held her own even after getting her isolette changed and while I was holding her (but went right to sleep once back inside). I am so happy this lil girl is fighting and proving doctors wrong. I still remember the one doctor that told me he was getting a vibe that Evie would make it :roll: what do they know anyway :wink:

Evie's 2 months old Monday :jump:
Image Image
Image Image

Videos :
Evie Breathing On Her Own
Evie Smiling (I think)
11 Hours Breathing w/o Assistance
Sweets
*25*
Evelyn Marleyah (due April 22, 2008) was born early@25 wks ~January 11th, 2008!!!
ImageImage
MommaSweets
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby mamalynn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:05 pm

look at that precious baby! she looks great! i am so happy to see this update! i love the smile... :hb:
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tink95fl » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:02 pm

Mommasweets- I just read through your story. You have an incredible little fighter there!!! She's so beautiful!!!! I'm so happy that you are now able to hold her. I will keep checking for updates and I will keep your little Evie in our prayers :D

Look at little smile! That must melt you heart, to her smile :D
ME:31(Jennifer)
DH:28(Steve)
DS1:12(Miguel)
DS2:10-17-07(Ethan)
ImageImage

ImageImage
tink95fl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby broniee34 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:57 pm

i had my baby at 33wks and he was 7lbs,he was born dec 23 and was due feb 3,they btold me he wasnt gonna make it by xmas day he had a blockage in his arties goin to the lungs so no oxygen could get thru,he had pulmonary hypotension they had to paralyze him for two wks to give him oxygen he was on so much morphine dopmaine by the grace of god he is a happy healthy 3 month old laughin and giggling it s nothin you did,just keep your head up and keep praying i will be prayin for ur little one tobefore u kw it ur gonna be chasin her around the house.
broniee34
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Cally » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:04 pm

aawww I just read this thread and it brought tears to my eyes, your little girl is so beautiful. im so glad she is doing so well, I hope she gets to go home with you soon :D
Me-34
DS-Fionn 13
DD1-Saoirse 11
DD2- Órlaith 5

ImageImage
Cally
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby eh_ep » Thu May 08, 2008 11:40 pm

mommasweets!!your lil girl is looking wonderful!!!any new updates?

:angel: M/C sept 1, 2007 5w1d
:angel: M/C Feb 6, 2008 11w3d D&C feb 8
:hb:DD: Dec 20, 2008
:angel: M/C Jan 28, 2014 5w3d
BFP June 24 11dpo due March 6, 2014
:angel: M/C July 1, 2014 4w4d
BFP May 20 9dpo due February 1, 2016
Beta 14dpo 101
Beta 16dpo 172
Beta 18dpo 414
Beta 35dpo 36265
First U/S 7 weeks :hb: 126
Second U/S 11 weeks :hb: 175

eh_ep
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MeganTheLibrarian » Fri May 30, 2008 6:36 pm

Bumping! Any updates? :)
Me: 38, DH: 39, DD1: 5. DD2: born September 20, 2013
MeganTheLibrarian
Angel
Angel

Postby MommaSweets » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:28 pm

I'm such a bad TWW-er :oops:

I have updates and pics for those who have read and kept asking about my sweet :hb:

I am at work now and leaving to get miss thang so this even I will post a 3 month overview as Thursday Evie will be having hernia surgery in her pelvis :?
Sweets
*25*
ImageImage
MommaSweets
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby mrsjoh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:17 pm

what a beautiful smile, you and your daughter evie are in my prayers.
Jasper born Nov 25, 2008-Feb 23, 2010 www.jaspersheart.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
mrsjoh
Star Member
Star Member

Postby MommaSweets » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 am

I wasn't able to get back on last night I had a terrible headache and wanted to cuddle with my DD. :oops:

Well heres what's been up pretty much :

After 98 days in the NICU Evie was released April 28th, 2008(6 days shy of her due date). Weighing 4lbs. 2oz., w/o monitors, w/o oxygen, passing her hearing test, and having no brain hemorrhages at all. She even pretty much overcame her ROP she had. After she was released she saw the eye doc and she said Evie was all clear & it didn't look like she would need baby glasses or anything. Truly a miracle :hb: Evie continues her battle with GER, & honestly, I stopped giving her the meds(Zantac & reglan) and she seems happier and even though she still spits up it not with the constant force it was before. Her development seems to be coming right along she acts more like a 4-6 month old than she does a 2-3 month old so I love getting the coos and babbling, and even the lil outburst :hb: At Evie's 6month check up (I can't believe she is 6 months already :omg: ) she weighed in at 8lbs 10oz. I can so feel it :lol: she likes sitting up and can do it pretty much on her own, I also give her more tummy time now so she can strengthen her arms so she can crawl it seems like she is ready but I don't let her do it for too long b/c of her reflux and straining her stomach muscles too hard even though they are stronger now.... She also like to stand in my lap, she starts talking up a storm doing that. :rofl: I have noticed she will also try and get to me if in someone else's arms :hb:

Ok I have some pics of her, as recent as yesterday morning so enjoy and thanks for the prayers ... I an struggling with this as it was different when she was 1 month and her life was at stake plus she hadn't come home with me but its been 3months(the day after her surgery) that's she's been a part of my every and I mean Every thing I do and I would trade it for the world.

Here are the pics:
ImageImage

ImageImage
Last edited by MommaSweets on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweets
*25*
ImageImage
MommaSweets
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

PreviousNext

Return to Special Needs Babies