Early intervention

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Early intervention

Postby clara855 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:56 am

I kinda posted this on babies but I guess I would get more help over here. I'll give the long story (sorry). Ben was born after crowning for over 2hrs, his arms were up by his head and I couldn't push him out and my ob just sat there with his arms folded scowling at me. (I know it was 4am on Christmas but come on do you job please). After birth he looked like he was having little seziures and wasn't breathing so he was on a ventilator for a few days and spent some time after that recovering in the nicu. They ran tests at the time but coudn't find any aparent reason for his problems.

Fast foward to yesterday (we'll skip the car accident b/c it's not revelant to the situation and I rather not talk about it.) He went to his follow up from the hosiptal/4 month well check up on Friday. The pedi was concerned for the following reasons:
*he can't hold his head steady while sitting
*doesn't roll or even try (like rock or ne thing)
* he hates his bumbo/jumperoo/excersaucer
*he won't bear weight on his feet when held in a standing position (a big one for the pedi)
*he can't eat more than 3-4oz at a time with out falling asleep

She said he's fine mentally and socially, he smiles, laughs (a lame laugh but a laugh lol), he "talks all the time and is very interested in his hand held toys, hands, anything he can cram in his mouth and is VERY VERY alert.

She refered me to an early intervention program and I'm all for it. Even if he's pefectly fine it exta attention and work can't hurt kwim. I was just wondering what it was like. Are any of your lo's in any sort of developmental thearpy? I guess I've just been in denial b/c I never considered that he wasn't normal (I don't know anyone with a lo his age). I still feel like he "can't" have a problem and that somehow the doctor and myself are just "making it up", did any of you feel that way or do you think that Ben's just normal and this is just a case of every baby being different?

This whole thing is just so confusing to me :dunno:
Natural Birthing, Cloth diapering, Co-sleeping, Tandem nursing, Crunchy mom to: Benjamin- 12/25/07 and Annabelle 9/29/09
Image Image
clara855
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Char » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:29 am

I'm an early intervention teacher. I am all for early intervention. Alot of kiddos come to me for a little extra support they need to be successful once they become school age. Be sure that you are going through your school system, if he qualifies for services, it will all be covered under IDEA. Let me know if you have any questions...GL
Char
Me: 38
DH: 38
DD#1: 10 1/2 years old (conceived naturally)
DD#2: Conceived via IUI and delivered via C-section on July 23, 2008

www.babymcnab.blogspot.com
Char
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby scappiesgirl » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:52 am

Hi,
I just wanted to say that my son (who is now 3) was in EI from 1 1/2 to age 3. He was in for speech development, and fine motor skills. He also has a genetic disorder called Galactosemia. Before he turned 3 he was diagnosed with Developmental Motor Coordination Disorder. Once he turned 3 he was referred to the local school system by the EI team. They evaluated him and found him eligible for services and now he goes to an intergrated pre-school 3 days a week and has speech and OT therapy at the school. I am a special needs teacher for another district so it helped that I knew the laws and what was required for his IFSP (before he was 3) and for his IEP (when he turned 3). In our state the school district does not evaluate the kids until they are 3. Before that there are state agencies that will evaluate and if needed begin services.
It was hard at first, but I just kept telling myself this is what he needs to be successful so why wouldn't I give it to him. Some family members had problems with him having EI services, but they were mostly grandparents who are stuck in the old days.
If your son qualifies for services I would give them to him. They were really great to work with and at least in our state they go to your house.

Carrie :D
ImageImage
scappiesgirl
Friend

Postby Char » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:58 am

Thank you, scappiesgirl. I stand corrected. I was incorrect in stating that it is the school system from birth to age 3 that will determine if services are needed. Instead, it is a local agency within our county, called Montgomery County Department of Infants and Toddlers. Sorry for misinformation :(

Char
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby clara855 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:40 am

If he needs them I definately want him to have them. I see no reason why anyone would deny such services, I would do whatever he needs for him to be sucessful. I guess my biggest problem is dealing with the fact that he may need them. It totally caught me by surprise and I almost feel bad I didn't notice he was so behind. There are just so many confusing emotions involved with this whole process.
Natural Birthing, Cloth diapering, Co-sleeping, Tandem nursing, Crunchy mom to: Benjamin- 12/25/07 and Annabelle 9/29/09
Image Image
clara855
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Char » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Clara...dont be hard on yourself. First of all, it looks like you have no older child to compare your son to. Second, all children develop differently. Sometimes it takes an trained, outsider to notice something. Hang in there.

Char
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dixiechicken » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Clara--I posted what I thought of early intervention under your thread in the babies section. I just wanted to send you a hug :hugs: You've had to deal with a lot of different things over the past week, and I'm sorry. It's very hard to understand and accept that your child may be "different". I have gone through so many different emotions over the past 11 months, and I'm still dealing with it. I had a "perfect" pregnancy, and because of a traumatic delivery, I have a child with cerebral palsy. (Which, by the way, this "label" was just put on him Tuesday. Up until then, we were just waiting to see what was going to happen. So, needless to say, even though I've known all along, a "label" kinda makes things more real.) We did not cause these things to happen to our children, so try not to blame yourself. Also, since you're not around other babies Ben's age, and he's your first, how do you really know? Quite honestly, the pediatrician, my babysitter, and physical therapist really weren't getting too concerned until Wade was 5-6months old. That's when they should be hitting more concrete developmental milestones, which Wade wasn't doing. It's a very tough situation to be in, and if you ever need to talk about anything, just PM me. I have kept so many emotions bottled up--which I don't recommend at all--and they have boiled over at inappropriate times. I think I'm going along just fine, and then something silly will happen, and I'll just start crying. I really need to find a support group because others can't understand what I'm going through. I have a lot of very empathetic friends, but it's just not the same. I also teach special ed, so it's very tough to work in the system and then come home and deal with it too. However, because of my job, I kinda know what to expect. So anyway, I've rambled enough, but PLEASE let me know if you have any questions or just need to vent. I hope you can get some answers and get help from early intervention if that's what Ben needs. The hardest thing for me is the "not knowing". I can deal with anything, as long as I know what I'm dealing with. I am a HUGE control freak, and I have absolutely NO control in this situation. But, I've been harshly reminded of what I've always known, that God is ultimately in control, and he will see us through as hard as it may seem at times. He won't give me or you more than we can handle, and Wade and Ben are such a blessing!
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mamalynn » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:03 pm

hey ladies! pj has been in EI since he was about 7 weeks old. as some of you know he was born with down syndrome and a congenital heart defect. he began with an infant teacher 1 x per week, then he began to receive occupational therapy. i have had my moments through this process, but i am overall very satisfied with the services. after pj's surgeries, i really saw him take off developmentally. starting in may, he will have the infant teacher 2x's weekly, occupational therapy 1 x a week and a new service, physical therapy, 1x a week. EI is a great thing for our babies, i only wish all infants had access to this service. in addition to all the EI services, i take him to the library for storytime and enrolled him in gymboree. he is a busy boy!
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dixiechicken » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 pm

Mlynn--How do you like Gymboree? BTW, PJ looks FANTASTIC! He surely has come a long way!
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mamalynn » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 pm

dixiechicken wrote:Mlynn--How do you like Gymboree? BTW, PJ looks FANTASTIC! He surely has come a long way!

thanks dixie!

well all i have to say is that it is not whether i like it, it is about pj and he LOVES it! i was all prepared to hold him the whole time...nope, he could care less if i am present! if you have one in your area, i would suggest doing a preview class. pj is in level 3, which is 9-16 months i believe. he is not ready for level 4 because he is not yet a walker. the one i go to is very nice. he does the structured class on tuesdays for one hour and mondays and fridays are all age free play. i have waited so long to put him in a place with other children his age. he is just blossoming!
michelle 41, dh 44,
pj 5 diagnosed with down syndrome & av canal defect of the heart (repaired 2007)
PhotoEffects-635011925132850000 by milybr, on Flickr
Repeat losses & MTHFR
mamalynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Special Needs Babies