alternative therapy

A place for moms and moms-to-be with special needs children to find support.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

alternative therapy

Postby babymagik18 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:34 am

ggggggg
Last edited by babymagik18 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melodi- 25, dh 26, TWINS DUE 3/27..OUR IVF MIRACLES!<br>Image
babymagik18

Postby dixiechicken » Thu May 22, 2008 6:04 pm

What is anat baniel therapy? My son was at high risk of CP because of brain damage from traumatic delivery. He was "officially" diagnosed with CP last month. He gets OT and PT through early intervention. I'm curious if anyone else has anything to add.
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babymagik18 » Fri May 23, 2008 5:14 am

its alternative therapy that is supposed to teach the brain to "rewire" itself and help kids regain use of affected parts. It very gentle so gentle infat it almost looks like theyt are doing nothing. On our first session marc wouldnt even turn his head to look at me and by the end he was turing boh ways to seek me. I actually saw him thinking in his little eyes. Check out the site and exp watch the videos. http://www.anatbanielmethod.com/
babymagik18

Postby dixiechicken » Fri May 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks for the link. I looked at it a little, but will have to go back and read more later this weekend after my brain recovers from field day at school today in 95 degree weather! :roll: Sounds very interesting. I will probably find out more when I read the site, but is the therapy only in California, or has it "branched out"?
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dixiechicken » Fri May 23, 2008 6:26 pm

Never mind on the last question! I looked it up! :oops: I found someone in Tyler, TX--I live in Ft. Worth. Think I'll shoot her an email. Thanks so much for the info!!!
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babymagik18 » Fri May 23, 2008 7:08 pm

ggggg
Last edited by babymagik18 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
babymagik18

Postby dixiechicken » Sat May 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Melodi--Prayer is absolutely amazing!! God had answered many prayers through our year journey thus far! I'll try to make this as brief as possible, but if you need any more details, just ask. I don't mind answering! :wink: In fact, it really helps me to "talk" about it!

Wade was placed on a cooling blanket within 5 hours of his birth. He had to stay on that for 72 hours. It's a new treatment which hopes to drop the body temperature enough to stop any further damage from occurring after the initial trauma. Things were looking good and his EEG didn't show anything. Doctors were very optimistic. However, the morning after he came off cooling blanket, they did an MRI which showed brain damage in the motor area of his brain. These results immediately took him from low risk for CP to high risk. In fact, we left the "meeting" under the impression Wade would never walk! The neurologist said he had noticed some stiffness is Wade's right leg. Wade's doctor went off duty for a few days and when he came back, he called me and said he had one word for me. It was "WOW!" 8O In those 3 or 4 days he was gone, Wade's tone had improved substantially! I told him of course it had because there were literally prayer chains all across the country praying for our little guy! A few days later we were sent home and told to contact early intervention. They came out to do their evaluation @ 1 month. Based on their evaluation, Wade did not qualify. But honestly, at 1 month, how can they really tell???? However, the nurse who was there knew how much I wanted Wade to get services, so she qualified based on his diagnosis of seizure disorder, which is an automatic qualifier for services. I just want to say, I was not "looking" for my child to have issues, but I teach special education and know how important early intervention is. Based on his high risk for CP, I wanted to do as much as possible, as early as possible. Quite honestly, for the first few months, I didn't really see much. But, my maternal instincts were on high alert and I just knew something wasn't right. DH kept telling me everything was okay and others kept telling me how great he was doing, but I knew differently.

In October--5 months--Wade went back to neurologist for follow-up. The man who had told us Wade would probably be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life was rather impressed. He couldn't believe how well Wade was holding his head--though not perfect! His legs were strong and although trunk control wasn't great, he still had a little. By this time, I was starting to take notice of other kids when I went to Wal-Mart and such. I started "comparing" and realized kids smaller than him were sitting up in a cart, reaching for things, holding head steady, etc. and Wade wasn't doing any of this.

In November, went back for EEG which came back fine. No seizure activity or potential activity.

In December went for MRI. Neurologist was thrilled with results. He said it showed a 70% improvement from original MRI. Don't know exactly what that means, but 70% improvement has to be good, right? :wink:

In January or February, did a re-eval, and this time evaluation showed a 3-4 month delay. At this point, and even now, Wade was only rolling from tummy to back, not vice versa, still can't sit up unassisted (although he can in my lap), doesn't play with toys because he can't reach and grasp, his hands stay fisted a lot, can't eat solids well, has some oral motor issues, aspirates on thicker liquids and foods, reflux. On the bright side, Wade is a very social, happy baby! He laughs and smiles all the time and does quite a bit of babbling. His legs are very strong and he :hb: his jumperoo!

In April, we went back to neurologist, and he showed me MRI results and showed me the difference in the two. The problem he says is that in that part of the brain, even a pinpoint of damage can really be detrimental. It's such a "sophisticated" part of the brain that the slightest damage can still cause a lot of issues. The best part is that our LO's brains are so new and pliable, that they can reroute and still be able to do things quite "normally". Wade just has to learn to do all of this instead of it coming automatically.

Wade's tone changes from high to low quite often. The PT says it's very difficult for him because he never knows what his body is going to do. For instance, he might try to reach for something and really put a lot of effort into because the last time he did it, his arm was stiff. But this time he tries it, his arm is loose and he "over reaches" which confuses him. In the beginning, he seemed to have more difficulty with his right side. Now he uses his right side more and less on left. It just changes all the time! :roll: It's hard for me because I see him try so hard to reach for something, and he just can't quite do it. I can't wait for the day when I walk up to him and he's able to reach up for me to pick him up. I know with prayer and a lot of hard work, that day will come! :D

Well, that ended up being longer than I thought! Sorry for the rambling. I am very excited about the Anat Baniel Method. :jump: I watched one of the videos, and you're right, it doesn't look like she's doing much, but the results are amazing. I tried the exercise with Wade today where she was twisting that little girl from side to side in hope to get her to roll over. In the beginning, Wade's left arm wasn't swinging over, but he automatically brought his right over. After a few times, his left arm starting coming over!!! So, her method really makes a lot of sense. I'm so thankful you posted here with that information.

Anyway, good luck to you! It's a tough road, and quite honestly, in the past week or two, I've just started coming out of my "cloud". Sometimes the whole experience seems so surreal. Being a special ed teacher, I prayed for 9 months to God and asked him not to give me a special needs child. I deal with this everyday at work, and I just didn't think I was strong enough to do it at home too. However, God had his own plans and I know without a doubt, that Wade was given to me for a reason. God has amazing plans for my little man! :D
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babymagik18 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:33 am

You are so right
Last edited by babymagik18 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
babymagik18

Postby dixiechicken » Sun May 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Absolutely amazing!! Your twins, and Wade as well, are true testaments to the power of prayer. Wade's apgars were 0/3/3. We TTC for a little over a year with clomid. The month doctor wanted to do IUI, I got pregnant after HSG test! :jump: I had a "perfect" pregnancy, so this outcome of course, was a complete shock. 8O I'm so sorry you had such a horrific experience. I am so happy both of your babies are home.

Where do you live? Do you do the Anat baniel method on your own, or do you go somewhere? Is it covered under insurance, or do they not consider it a treatment?

ETA: Just watched your videos. Your babies are beautiful!! I :hb: the picture of Marc and Peyton in their Easter baskets! Please KUP on your progress. I would love to hear about therapy and such. I check my PMs, and I can typically be found on the cloth diapering forum! Thank you so much for sharing!
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babymagik18 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:34 pm

We gggg
babymagik18

Return to Special Needs Babies